Comics Guide: Oct. 31-Nov. 6, 2022

BOOM! STUDIOS

BEHOLD BEHEMOTH #1

Story: Tate Brombal | Art/Cover: Nick Robles | $4.99

House of Slaughter's Tate Brombal brings his first original series to BOOM! Studios alongside red hot artist Nick Robles (The Dreaming: Waking Hours).

Greyson's world is crumbling following his brother's sudden and mysterious death...

His sleepless nights are haunted by vivid nightmares of a terrifying monster, pushing him to the brink of losing both his sanity and his job as a social worker.

But he's truly shaken to the core when his newest case –– a young orphaned girl named Wren –– is found at the scene of a brutal murder, just hours after first meeting Greyson.

The line between nightmare and waking life blurs as Greyson soon discovers that the monster from his dreams might just be real –– a mythical, ancient beast that is bringing about the end of the world, with shocking connections to both him and Wren.

MAGIC THE GATHERING (MTG) #20

DARK HORSE COMICS

BERSERK VOL 41 TP

BPRD OMNIBUS VOL 2 TP

BRILLIANT TP

COUNT CROWLEY: AMATEUR MIDNIGHT MONSTER HUNTER #4

COVER VOL 1 TP

CRITICAL ROLE: VOX MACHINA ORIGINS SERIES VOL III TP

Story: Jody Houser, Matthew Mercer | Art: Olivia Samson | Cover: Minttu Hynninen | $19.99

In the third series of the celebrated Vox Machina Origins comics from Critical Role and Dark Horse, prepare for more misadventure with the New York Times bestselling creative team of Jody Houser (Orphan Black, Stranger Things), Olivia Samson, MSASSYK (Isola, Gotham Academy), Diana Sousa (Isola, Crowded), and Ariana Maher (James Bond, Xena)!

Vox Machina enjoy a week in Westruun’s lap of luxury leading up to the Winter’s Crest Festival. But that costs coin, which has a bad habit of running out, so they join an underground fighting ring and bash their way to cash. Unfortunately, their ring-fighting turns out to be just a warm-up for a cold reality when a mysterious attack on Winter’s Crest festivities leaves the whole town magically frozen –– including one of their own. Vox Machina will have to save the day again, against a much bigger foe than they first realized!

• I actually have nothing to say about these collections, but DH dutifully sends me press releases on them. It might be of interest to some Legionnaires, so I dutifully post them.
  • Here's a preview.

EC ARCHIVES: INCREDIBLE SCIENCE FICTION TP

GIRLFIEND IN PARIS: A BLOODTHIRSTY BEDTIME STORY OGN

Story: Arnold Pander | Art/Cover: Arnold Pander, Jacob Pander | Mature | $19.99

The Pander Brothers (Dissident X, Grendel: Devil’s Legacy) return to the world of GirlFIEND with GirlFIEND in Paris: A Bloodthirsty Bedtime Story. This original graphic novel is written in poetic verse from the vampire heroine Karina’s perspective and includes a new GirlFIEND pin-up gallery.

The fugitive romance continues between Karina, a day-walking vampire and Nick, a nocturnal mortal. Living out their storybook fantasy in Paris by day and hunting down criminals by night to feed Karina’s hunger, Nick's moral line continues to be pushed to the limit. When Karina discovers her latest prey holds a dark criminal secret, it will put their immortal love pact to the test when they attempt to rescue an innocent girl from a deadly underworld plot.

“We wanted to magnify the idea of the protagonists living out their 'fairy tale fantasy' in Paris by depicting the narrative itself in literal fairy tale storybook verse,” Arnold describes.

GirlFIEND in Paris was born out of the COVID lockdown,” Jacob explains, "With both of us working in separate locations, we decided to take a different approach by making the story more intimate in its tone — a Paris romance novella to reacquaint the readers with these two characters, and allow the complexity of their relationship to grow and evolve.

“While also delivering a solid dose of horror and action that is expected from GirlFIEND.” Arnold interjects. "It is a dark fairy tale after all."

Praise for the Pander Brothers:

"Each page is a visual feast." — Comic Book Resources

"The Pander Brothers have a tremendous cinematic style." — Rock Shop Pop

"Worth every penny for horror, action and comic fans alike." — Rock Shop Pop

"GirlFIEND is one of the best horror comics I have read ..." — Scream Sirens

"The Pander Brothers deliver an absolutely gorgeous graphic novel." — Horror Talk

"You can feel that intensity running through the entire book, like fast music should be pumping as the soundtrack." — Horror Talk

• How did they know that what scares me most is vampires that dress like Japanese schoolgirls?
  • This also reminds me of an old adage: "Men marry women hoping they'll never change, and women marry men hoping they can change them." In the case of a vampire girlfriend, I guess part of that would be realized.
  • Here's a preview.

HALO: INITIATION AND ESCALATION TP

Story: Brian Reed, Chris Schlerf, Duffy Boudreau | Art: Marco Castiello | Cover: Kenneth Scott | 650 pages | $39.99

From Sarah Palmer’s rise to the rank of Spartan Commander aboard flagship Infinity to the UNSC's extraordinary efforts to stop the machinations of Jul 'Mdama and the Covenant, this stunning collection contains Halo: Initiation #1-3 and Halo: Escalation #1-24 and features scripts by writers on Halo 4 and Halo 5: Guardians. This is a must-have for any fan of Halo!     

In the dark years following the war with the Covenant, the Spartans of UNSC Infinity represent humanity's best hope against a growing tide of enemies that imperil all they have tirelessly worked to recover. Led by Commander Palmer, these super-soldiers are unparalleled warriors, but it will take more than raw combat skill and dogged bravery to keep humankind safe from the danger that approaches on all sides.

• Hey, what happened to Master Chief? Is he dead now? I've never played "Halo," but I did watch the TV show.
  • Here's a preview.

INVISIBLE KINGDOM LIBRARY EDITION HC

MINECRAFT OPEN WORLD INTO NETHER TP

NIGHT OF THE GHOUL #2

THE ONES #1 (OF 4)

Story: Brian Michael Bendis | Art/Cover: Jacob Edgar | $4.99

From the New York Times bestselling, Peabody and multi-Eisner award-winning writer that brought you Marvel’s Illuminati, New Avengers, Mighty Avengers, Avengers, Avengers Assemble, Avengers vs X-Men, Uncanny X-Men, All-New X-Men, Guardians of the Galaxy, X-Men vs Guardians of the Galaxy, Young Justice, Justice League, Legion of Superheroes and Justice League vs. Legion of Superheroes comes the next, best awesome super team to end all super teams … The Ones!

Brian Michael Bendis, along with artist Jacob Edgar (Death to the Army of Darkness), and colorist K.J. Diaz (James Bond: Reflections of Death) brings explosive comics splendor to this big new world in The Ones! Every single person in every mythology who were told they were THE ONE are brought together for the first time to defeat ... THE ONE. The actual one. The real actual one. Think Good Omens meets Ghostbusters meets The Adam Project meets The Goonies meets Everything Everywhere All at Once meets, um, anything else you’ve ever liked!

“Jacob is an amazing artist and creating this brand-new, fun-as-hell world with him has been one of the greatest delights,” co-creator and writer Brian Michael Bendis said. “Wilson and the rest of The Ones are among my absolute favorite creations I’ve ever been a part of and I can’t wait to introduce you to all of them.”

“I'm beyond thrilled and still geeking out to be teaming with Brian on this project and bringing all these amazing, crazy characters to life,” co-creator and artist Jacob Edgar said. “I've always felt like comedy in comics is tough to do, but I genuinely laugh out loud reading these scripts as they come in. So, I'm excited for the comics world to get to experience what I've been enjoying. Beyond the comedy, we've got plenty of action coming your way as well, this book is a blast to work on.”

Praise for Joy Operations:

“Brian Michael Bendis and Stephen Byrne are a fantastic team, dealing out an engaging new original comic that combines the strengths of both creators.” — Comics Bookcase

Joy Operations showcases Byrne's gifts at worldbuilding, action blocking and facial expressions …” — Graphic Policy

“The futuristic look of the world is stunning …” — The Super Powered Fancast

ORVILLE LIBRARY EDITION VOL 1 HC

Story: David A. Goodman | Art: David Cabeza | Colors: Michael Atiyeh | 280 pages | $49.99

From Executive Producer David A. Goodman (The Orville, Family Guy, Star Trek Enterprise), this edition chronicles six missions from The Orville comics. These stories take place between the first and third seasons and take the Orville starship into the unknown, and sometimes, directly into the line of fire!

In “New Beginnings”, investigation of a century-old distress signal results in Ed and Gordon marooned on a war-ravaged desert planet in the custody of an unknown species. Then, in “The Word of Avis,” seemingly hapless xenoanthropologists lead the Orville into a fight for survival within Krill-controlled territory.

In “Launch Day,” the question of whether a suspicious space construct is a weapon tests the Planetary Union’s peaceful convictions. While in “Heroes,” Talla considers taking matters into her own hands upon discovering an idyllic planet she once surveyed has been subjugated by a hostile alien force.

In “Digressions,” Kelly must unwind an alternate timeline where her refusal to go on a second date with Ed has doomed the galaxy to destruction. And in “Artifacts,” the obsessive pursuit of a lost civilization’s legendary fleet by Ed’s old astro-archeology teacher puts the Orville in grave danger.

QUICK STOPS #1

Story: Kevin Smith | Art: Jeremy Simser | Cover: John Sprengelmeyer | $3.99

Following in the footsteps of the Lionsgate theatrical release CLERKS lll, Dark Horse Comics proudly presents Quick Stops, the next series from Kevin Smith's Secret Stash Press! An ongoing anthology of convenience stories set in the world of Smith's View Askewniverse films, Quick Stops is written by Smith himself and features different artists for each issue! And just like that the little film that started it all, the tales are told in beautiful black and white!

In the premiere issue of Quick Stops, Chronic-Con guest of honor Holden McNeil tells Chasing Amy's Alyssa Jones and a packed Chronic-Con crowd his story of going green with legendary loiterers Jay and Silent Bob in the Quick Stop cooler - and how it directly led to the birth of his Bluntman and Chronic comic books! Jermey Simser will pencil and ink the first issue with Andrew Thomas lettering. The cover art is by John Sprengelmeyer, with a variant by Simser.

"Quick Stops is where I finally get to tell tales from across the Askewniverse that I've always wanted to write!" Smith said. "And even though Jason Mewes and I keep getting older in real life, in the pages of Quick Stops, our rotating roster of amazing artists will keep us both looking forever '90s young! This has been the most fun I've had writing in my life because all these characters mean so much to me! I can't wait to reach 100 issues one day! But for now, I'll settle for Issue #1!"

• Some variants are available exclusively at Jay & SIlent Bob's Secret Stash.
  • Here's a preview.

SIN CITY DELUXE VOL 7: HELL & BACK HC (4TH ED)

• I think this is the final volume.

SURVIVAL STREET #4

THE WITCHER: RONIN TP

Story: Rafal Jaki | Art/Cover: Hataya | 120 pages | $19.99

Dark Horse Comics and CD PROJEKT RED present a new story in The Witcher universe based on the rich traditions of Japanese folklore. In The Witcher: Ronin, the role of a witcher is just as essential — as dangerous spirits and demons are constantly on the prowl. Concept and story written by CD PROJEKT RED’s Rafał Jaki, illustrated by manga artist Hataya, and lettered by Aditya Bidikar, The Witcher: Ronin sees Geralt trail the mythical Lady of Snow in this original manga set in an ancient-Japanese-inspired world!

In this world inspired by Edo-period Japan, Geralt is faced with difficult moral choices while battling a variety of yōkai and oni, creatures inspired by Japanese myths. Each encounter drops a clue in his desperate search for a mysterious apparition known as the Lady of Snow, yuki onna, for she is the key to the one Geralt seeks, but finding her won’t be easy . . .

The Witcher: Ronin trade paperback collects the main story arc of the successfully kickstarted manga from CD PROJEKT RED and sports a new cover by Jen Bartel.

DC COMICS

• By my count, all but three of the books below are Bat-related or have Batman in them. Shouldn't DC be trying to promote other characters to Batman-level popularity, instead of just cashing in on the Bat until we're all sick of him?

BATGIRLS VOL 1 TP

BATMAN #129

BATMAN & THE JOKER: DEADLY DUO #1 (OF 7)

Story/Art: Marc Silvestri | $4.99

The Joker will go to any lengths to get Harley Quinn back after she is abducted by a strange culprit. But who? Mysterious, Joker-like monsters are stalking the streets of Gotham, collecting severed heads. But why? Jim Gordon is missing, and after receiving a package containing a bloody piece of Gotham's commissioner, Batman knows he must be willing to do anything to save him. But how? When The Joker proposes an uneasy alliance with Batman, the answers to those questions begin to become clear — and they will shake Gotham City and the Bat-Family to their core. This meticulously crafted tale of the Dark Knight's deadliest team-up will introduce you to a grim and gritty Gotham that only Marc Silvestri could bring you.

• No. No, no, no. Tired of Joker. And this is such an obvious story choice — in fact, it's been done recently in Batman: Europa and, to a degree, the White Knight series. Further, it invalidates Batman's foundational principles for shock value and sales, however they explain it away. Pass.

BATMAN: KNIGHTWATCH #3 (OF 5)

BATMAN: SHADOW WAR HC

• Anybody read this story and want to recommend it? I'm on the fence.

DARK KNIGHTS OF STEEL #8 (OF 12)

GOTHAM CITY: YEAR ONE #2 (OF 6)

JOKER: THE MAN WHO STOPPED LAUGHING #2

• Not helping my Joker Fatigue!

MONKEY PRINCE #8 (OF 12)

NEW CHAMPION OF SHAZAM #3 (OF 4)

• I'm curious: What does Mary Marvel call herself now? Mary Shazam? Shazam Girl? Just Mary? Or something dumb like the title suggests, "New Champion of Shazam"?
  • "Hello, officer, I'm the New Champion of Shazam!" "OK, Champ, whatever you say!"

POISON IVY #6

SWORD OF AZRAEL #4 (OF 6)

TALES OF THE AMAZONS HC

TASK FORCE Z VOL 1: DEATH'S DOOR HC

DYNAMITE ENTERTAINMENT

CHERISH #1

Story: Katana Collins | Art: Gabriel Caitano | Covers: Marc Silvestri & Ebas, Brett Booth, Eric Canete, Soo Lee | 32 pages | Teen+ | $3.99

NEW FROM USA TODAY BESTSELLING AUTHOR KATANA COLLINS!

Dynamite Entertainment proudly presents a new series by bestselling author Katana Collins and rising star artist Gabriel Caitano: Cherish, featuring character designs by Marc Silvestri!

When the blood on the boardroom floor moves from metaphorical to literal ...

Cherish is the story of Amelia Fellows, a young woman who witnessed the betrayal and murder of her father at the hands of those he once trusted. Unfortunately for Amelia, the people behind her father's death are some of the richest, most powerful people in the world. If Amelia wants justice for her father, she'll have to get it herself as the well-armed hi-tech vigilante, Cherish.

Issue #1 comes out swinging as Cherish infiltrates the corporate headquarters of Unicon. The company, led by chairwoman Valerie Nolan, had once worked with Cherish's father. The only way Amelia will get the incriminating evidence she needs to take down everyone involved in her father's death is to integrate herself into the staff and hide in plain sight. But things get complicated when Valerie's son, Conrad, who Cherish has been seducing for information, becomes suspicious. Now it's a race against time for Cherish to see if she can survive long enough to get the justice she seeks.

This can't-miss debut issue features stunning covers by series character designer Marc Silvestri, plus Brett Booth, Eric Canete and Soo Lee!

Katana Collins is a USA Today bestselling author with more than 25 published novels and graphic novels. She's most known for her international bestselling romance, Beefcakes, as well as DC's Batman White Knight Presents: Harley Quinn. Her work in screen and television production began with the Disney corporation before she shifted into her producer role with Lucky Duck Productions, Animal Planet, SoapNET and Nickelodeon, writing and producing for Nick News with Linda Ellerbee.

GABRIEL CAITANO was born and raised in Brazil and has been working on comics for six years after taking a comic drawing course by Ibraim Roberson. He's contributed work to titles including Yuga by Avinash Gudipati, Vanishing Points by Eric Lambson, Mega Centarri by Kat Szutyany and Robert Szutyany, Monsters: Jail by Jeff Bai, Sovereign Wolf by Eddie Winkler and Blood of Gods by Erick Dominguez.

• I know we've beaten this horse to death, but that's a really impractical outfit for combat. It's impractical for just about anything, except maybe working at a strip club.

JENNIFER BLOOD VOL 1: BLOODLINES TP

NYX VOL 1: DADDY'S GIRL TP

SWEETIE CANDY VIGILANTE #2

VAMPIRELLA VS. RED SONJA #1

Story: Dan Abnett | Art: Alessandro Ranaldi | Covers: Lucio Parrillo, Joseph Michael Linsner, Joe Quinones, Jae Lee, Cosplay / Rachel Hollon | 32 pages | Teen+ | $3.99

FANGS CLASH WITH BLADES IN AN ALL-NEW ACTION EPIC!

THE IMMORTAL RED SONJA WRITER DAN ABNETT REUNITES WITH ARTIST ALESSANDRO RANALDI!

It's a monumental clash of titans that had to happen, from master storyteller Dan Abnett! Both Vampirella and Red Sonja were recruited by the Project, a cosmic collection of superheroes sworn to protect all known universes. But Vampirella is now considered a murderous criminal — and she's capable of defeating any hero. Unfortunately for her, Red Sonja is no hero ...

It's a universe-spanning, action-packed battle royal from start to finish, by Dan Abnett (Dejah Thoris) and Alessandro Ranaldi (Jennifer Blood)!

• I seem to remember "The Project" as being related to Project: Superpowers.

IDW PUBLISHING

EARTHDIVERS #2

MY LITTLE PONY #6

STAR TREK: PICARD — STARGAZER #3

TMNT: SATURDAY MORNING ADVENTURES #2

TRANSFORMERS SHATTERED GLASS II #3

IMAGE COMICS

ADVENTUREMAN VOL 2 HC

ANTIOCH #2

BLOOD STAINED TEETH #6

Story: Christian Ward | Art: Mack Chater | Cover: Christian Ward | $3.99

Popular horror/crime series Blood Stained Teeth by Eisner Award winning Christian Ward and Patric Reynolds will kick off an all-new story arc this November with the release of issue #6. This highly anticipated interstitial story will feature the talents of guest artist Mack Chater and land on shelves this November from Image Comics.

This special standalone tale answers: Who is Dr. Beverly Phelps and why is she hunting the villainous First Born?

Blood Stained Teeth first launched to immense critical acclaim in April and follows main character Atticus Sloane — misanthrope, criminal, asshole and vampire — who lives in a world where blood isn’t the only thing vamps crave. For the right price, he’ll make anyone a vampire too. After all, immortality isn’t cheap.

The series is the perfect read for fans of 100 Bullets and Killadelphia or any reader who enjoys a good crime comic with a vampiric twist.

• I always want to copy edit the title (should be "Blood-Stained Teeth").

GOLDEN RAGE #4

HELL TO PAY #1

Story: Charles Soule | Art: Will Sliney | Cover: Dave Johnson | $3.99

Bestselling author Charles Soule (Eight Billion Genies, Undiscovered Country) teams up with fan-favorite artist Will Sliney (Spider-Man) for the upcoming series Hell to Pay, which was first announced via livestream. This all-new supernatural adventure is best described as Hellboy meets Indiana Jones and is set to launch from Image Comics this November.

“I love horror stories, especially gnarly, supernaturally-tinged tales — but I haven’t been able to play with that kind of storytelling much since my run on Swamp Thing almost a decade ago. I’ve been meaning to tell a really big story with Will Sliney for ages too — we’ve known each other since the early days of our careers. I feel very lucky that Hell to Pay gives me a chance to do both," said Soule. "The story here is high-concept and thrilling — basically, you can get magic ... but on credit, and your soul is the collateral. Clearing that debt ... easier said than done. I think this story will be very relatable to anyone living in today’s world.

It’s also the start of something really big. Will and I are kicking things off with Hell to Pay ... but we intend to tell stories in this world for a good long time to come.”

In Hell to Pay, readers meet married young couple Maia and Sebastian Stone. Years ago, they made a deal with the mysterious Shrouded College to give them magic ... but they incurred a debt. Until it’s paid, their lives are not their own. Maia and Sebastian have worked for the College ever since, using their new abilities to track down 666 cursed coins: qurrakh … aka, the Devil’s Dollar. Only a few remain. The Stones are almost free … but the devil’s in the details.

Sliney added: "This is the beginning of something really special, that Charles and I have been planning for a long time. It's a the debut of a giant new world, built around a very relatable story."

HELLCOP VOL 2: SASQUATCH WAR TP

ICE CREAM MAN VOL 8: SUBJECTS AND OBJECTS TP

IT’S LONELY AT THE CENTRE OF THE EARTH OGN

In It’s Lonely at the Centre of the Earth, up-and-comer Zoe Thorogood (The Impending Blindness of Billie Scott, Joe Hill’s Rain) records six months of her own life as it falls apart in a desperate attempt to put it back together again in the only way she knows how. This fresh and thought-provoking auto-bio-graphic is an intimate and meta-narrative look into the life of a selfish artist who must create for her own survival.

"This book has served as a creative sanctuary for me from the day it was conceived — an experimental playground that I hope will inspire, disturb and comfort in equal measure," said Thorogood.

Eric Stephenson, Publisher at Image Comics, added: "Zoe's debut graphic novel, The Impending Blindness of Billie Scott, was one of the highlights of 2020, and we were thrilled when she approached us about publishing her next project ... which as it turns out, will be the project after this one! But one of the great things about exciting new talent is that the creative process often takes on a life of its own and It's Lonely at the Centre of the Earth was a project that had to happen, very much to everyone's delight. This is excellent work by one of comics' best new voices!"

• As I've said before, I don't think you should be allowed to write an autobiography until you're at least out of your twenties.

KING SPAWN #16

LASTMAN BOOK ONE

Critically acclaimed French fight comic Lastman will be published beginning in Fall 2022. These editions will collect the action-packed series by Balak, Michaël Sanlaville and Bastien Vivès as a complete set in English for the first time, and will feature all-new translations remastered as the creators originally intended. The books will also include backmatter featuring additional series art and true to the original French editions, full-color pages at the start of each volume. Lastman Book One, containing volumes 1-2 of the original French series and a new foreword by Robert Kirkman, is set to launch in November 2022.

Lastman is a revelation of immense creativity, thrilling as a fan and humbling as a creator. Balak, Sanlaville, and Vivès have combined to create an evolving story, each volume advancing the story in an entertaining and engaging way, while also being completely different than the volume before. It's a masterclass in tone, originality, and world-building. It's a series I'm absolutely obsessed with, and I'm sorry this quote seems dry and hyperbolic. I don't mean for it to, I'm trying to be sincere. This is me, Robert Kirkman, trying to sincerely urge anyone reading this to buckle down and get ready for awesome when this book is finally available to you. I don't like writing quotes like this. It's not fun. I don't know if they work. Are you reading this, still on the fence, waiting for these words to sway you into trying this amazing series? A mere glance at the art isn't enough? Really? Okay. So I'm here, trying to help you. Because whether you know it or not, you need this book in your life. You just do. I don't know you. I don't know anything about your life. But I know that. You need to read this book. Everyone does. The world is a better place because this book is a part of it. Don't you want to be a part of this world? It's been a rough few years for everyone. Treat yourself. You deserve it. You deserve Lastman. Get it.”

Adrian Velba has trained all year to fight in the Valley of Kings’ legendary tournament. However, despite his ambition, he has no chance of winning. Not only is his partner unable to compete, but at 12 years old, Adrian is the longest of longshots. That is, until a mysterious, powerful stranger enters town, offering to join forces with Adrian. But who is Richard Aldana? And why in a world of magic does he rely solely on his fists?

LITTLE MONSTERS #7

OLD DOG #2

SPAWN VOL 1: SCORCHED EARTH TP

THAT TEXAS BLOOD #19

TIME BEFORE TIME #18

TWIG VOL 1 TP

THE WALKING DEAD DELUXE #50

Today Skybound revealed seven all-new The Walking Dead Deluxe variant covers from a lineup of superstar artists in celebration of the series’ milestone 50th issue, presented in full color format for the first time by creator Robert Kirkman, with art by Charlie Adlard and colors by Dave McCaig. 

The striking variant covers include the main cover by David Finch and Dave McCaig; a wraparound cover by Charlie Adlard and Dave McCaig; the recently announced Tula Lotay (All Star Batman, Barnstormers) cover, part of Lotay’s connecting variant cover series for this arc; a cover by ongoing TWDD variant artist Julian Totino Tedesco; an atmospheric wraparound cover by Charlie Adlard; a paneled cover by Tonči Zonjić (Hellboy Universe Essentials: Lobster Johnson); and a wraparound cover by Andy Kubert (X-Men, Batman: The Detective) and colorist Brad Anderson. 

In the now-iconic 50th issue, Carl fights for survival alone. This deluxe presentation in stunning full color also features another installment of “Cutting Room Floor” and creator commentary celebrating the secret history of the series.

MARVEL COMICS

AVENGERS FOREVER #10

AVENGERS VS. X-MEN OMNIBUS HC

BLACK PANTHER #11

CAPTAIN MARVEL #43

CROSSGEN TALES #1

Story: Mark Waid, Various | Art: Butch Guice, Various | Cover: Paco Medina | Teen+ | $8.99

Surprising tales from a universe of fantasy, folklore and science fiction! The debut issues of four of the signature titles from the 21st century's most innovative imprint — and some of the biggest names in comics — offer a window into other worlds! In RUSE (2001) #1, Detective Simon Archer and his assistant Emma Bishop face magic and mystery on the Victorian-esque planet Arcadia! In MYSTIC (2000) #1, meet sisters Genevieve and Giselle - one is a sorceress, one is a socialite, but their destinies are about to be transformed! In SIGIL (2000) #1, a planetary union is locked in a centuries-long war with the starfaring Saurians! And in SOJOURN (2001) #1, the archer Arwyn and her allies fight for survival in the shadow of the undead dictator Mordath! But who are the Sigil-Bearers who unite these four stories?

• I assume this is for copyright purposes, not a revival.

DAMAGE CONTROL #3

DAREDEVIL BY CHIP ZDARSKY VOL 3: TO HEAVEN THROUGH HELL HC

DAREDEVIL EPIC COLLECTION: IT COMES WITH CLAWS TP

DEADPOOL #1

Story: Alyssa Wong | Art/Cover: Martin Coccolo | Parental Advisory | $4.99

MARVEL'S TOP MERC IS BACK IN BUSINESS!

We all know Wade Wilson is one of the top mercenary/assassins in the Marvel Universe, even if he is simultaneously the most annoying one ... but he's pushing to make that recognition official as he auditions for the elite group known as the Atelier. Now, he has 48 hours to kill one of the world's most famous supervillains. Only problem? He's been kidnapped, and something ... strange ... is GROWING INSIDE HIM. Things are going to get gross as writer Alyssa Wong (DOCTOR APHRA, IRON FIST) and artist Martin Coccolo (BANNER OF WAR) take out their pent up aggression on everyone's pizza-faced, jabber-mouthed, misguided, hate-to-love, love-to-hate fave ... Deadpool!

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY: COSMIC REWIND #1

Story: Kevin Shinick | Art: Gerardo Sandoval | Cover: Paco Medina | Teen+ | $3.99

The Worldmind is collecting data for the new Xandar pavilion on Terra and who knows Earth better than Peter Quill? (Probably ... a lot of people ...) What he doesn't know is that a Celestial has been watching and waiting for the Guardians of the Galaxy to be distracted to begin his plan to wipe humanity from existence.

• Hey, the movie team is back! Well, except for Mantis. But she's a wildly different character in the comics anyway.

HEROES REBORN: AMERICA’S MIGHTIEST HEROES OMNIBUS HC

HULK #10

MAESTRO: WORLD WAR M TP

MARVEL STUDIOS' LOKI: ART OF THE SERIES HC

MILES MORALES: SPIDER-MAN OMNIBUS VOL 1 HC

POWER MAN AND IRON FIST EPIC COLLECTION: HARDBALL TP

PREDATOR #4

PUNISHER #7

SAVAGE AVENGERS #7

SECRET INVASION #1 (OF 5)

Story: Ryan North | Art: Francesco Mobili | Cover: Matteo Lolli | Teen+ | $4.99

THE SKRULLS ARE BACK ... in a giant-sized issue kicking off an all-new five-part miniseries! When Maria Hill detects the merest HINT of Skrulls, she acts quickly to put her defensive plans into action. And when Nick Fury is sent to investigate a Skrull sighting in Iowa, he finds the LAST thing he was expecting! Our pale blue dot is in their sights, and this time, Earth's old defenses won't work.

Find out whom you REALLY trust: The invasion begins NOW.

• Shouldn't this be Secret Invasion II?

SHE-HULK #7

SPIDER-GWEN: UNMASKED TP

SPIDER-MAN 2099: EXODUS TP

STAR WARS #29

STAR WARS: BOUNTY HUNTERS #28

STAR WARS: HALCYON LEGACY TP

STAR WARS: MANDALORIAN #5

TIGER DIVISION #1 (OF 5)

Story: Emily Kim |  Art/Cover: Creees Lee | Teen+ | $3.99

Tiger Division will take center stage in their first ever solo series this November! Introduced by Jed MacKay last year in books like Taskmaster and Black Cat Annual, the team of South Korea’s fiercest defenders were a breakout hit, and now, fans will learn more about the team in a five-issue limited series written by Emily Kim (Silk) and drawn by Creees Lee (Marvel’s Voices: Identity).

Led by fan-favorite hero White Fox and joined by cryokinetic pop superstar Luna Snow, the unstoppable team consists of:

• Taegukgi, the patriotic powerhouse with a heart of gold
  • Lady Bright, a card-wielding and mysterious sorceress
  • Enigma, a street-brawling demigod
  • The General, a living totem
  • And Gun-R II, an android with an attitude

“I'm so excited to be launching Tiger Division's first limited series,” Kim said. “As a lifelong fan of comics, I never thought I'd get the chance to write for an all-Korean group. Hopefully it's not the last and there will be many more Tiger Division stories to come.”

• That's a very manga-y cover.

VENOM BY AL EWING RAM VOL 2: DEVIATION TP

X-MEN RED #8

X-MEN RED BY AL EWING VOL 1 TP

X-TREME X-MEN BY CLAREMONT OMNIBUS VOL 1 HC

MORE COMICS

ARCHIE MILESTONES JUMBO DIGEST #17: BEST OF THE ‘80s

ARGUS #1

Story: Mark Bertolini | Art/Cover: Darryl Knickrehm | Source Point Press | Mature | $3.99

Time travel is real! Scientific prodigy Randall Patton has had a breakthrough that allows travel through the timestream, which immediately led to the creation of The Argus, the temporal law enforcement organization that polices the time/space continuum. After an accident renders one of the members of The Argus insane, he begins killing off the others — except they are all versions of Randall Patton from various points in his own life! Who can stop Randall but himself?

ASTRONAUT DOWN #4

BECOMING FRANKENSTEIN #3

BEHEMOTH #2

BELIT & VALERIA #5

• Ablaze says this is a Gilmore Girls homage cover. I asked Mr. Google to show me, and here it is:

BILL & TED PRESENT: DEATH ONE-SHOT

Story: Erik Burnham, John Barber | Art: Federica Manfredi, Wayne Nichols | Cover: Ryan Christensen | Opus Comics | $6.66

The Duke of Spook, the Doc of Shock, The Man with No Tan, please say hello to Death himself, the Grim Reaper, in this special one-shot featuring Bill & Ted's co-star in Bogus Journey. So, Death, Beethoven, Death and a hell beast go to a rock concert ... tell me if you've heard this one before. Plus, Death comes for Rufus!

BLADE RUNNER: BLACK LOTUS #4

CAVEWOMAN: HE SAID, SHE SAID DEUX #1

CODE 45 #5 (OF 5)

COMPLETE EIGHTBALL VOL 1-18 TP

CRYSTAL PLANET #5 (OF 5)

DISTURBED DARK MESSIAH #5 (OF 5)

DOGS OF LONDON #5

EMO GIRL #3

END AFTER END #3

EVANESCENCE ECHOES FROM VOID #3

EXCITING COMICS #27

GILT TP

GOLD DIGGER #294

GREAT GATSBY #6

HEART EYES #3

HORROR COMICS #17

INVISIBLE WOUNDS HC

Story: Jess Ruliffson | $24.99

Candid, compassionate graphic interviews with returning war vets from the battlefields of Afghanistan and Iraq. Cartoonist Jess Ruliffson spent five years traveling across the country interviewing veterans of the Iraq and Afghanistan Wars, from kitchen tables in Georgia and libraries in New York City to dive bars in Mississippi and back porches in Vermont.

What she finds is that the real experience of soldiers at war is a far cry from depictions in popular media like Zero Dark Thirty or American Sniper. In these illustrated interviews, Ruliffson shares the stories of men, women and non-binary ex-soldiers who struggle to reconcile their wartime experiences with their postwar lives. Identity lies at the heart of these stories, as they grapple with their gender, their race and the brutality they've witnessed and caused. In this compassionate, probing book, Ruliffson reveals how America's endless entanglement in wars have affected the psyches of the people who wage them.

JUNGLE COMICS #9

KINGDOM COME DELIVERANCE #4 (OF 4)

MONSTERS OF METAL ONE-SHOT

Story: Jason Howden, Llexi Leon | Art: Luis Guaragna | Cover: Ryan Christensen | Opus Comics | $6.66

Written by director and visual effects artist Jason Howden (Guns Akimbo) and Llexi Leon, Monsters of Metal takes iconic creatures on the road as a heavy metal band in this riotous sendup of live on tour! Choose your favorite of five different character covers by Ryan Christensen, or put together the entire band!

• What, no Gill-Man? No Dracula? No Invisible Man? OK, I concede the last one might already be in there somewhere.

MOTHER CHRISTMAS VOL 1: MUSE GN

Story: Valya Dudycz Lupescu | Art: Victoria Terra | Rasarium Publishing | $15.95

What actually happened 1,800 years ago to transform a starry-eyed young priest named Nicholas into a winter wizard destined to circle the world on a sleigh of hope? This is the story of Amara, one of the legendary Muses of the House of Polyhymnia. Sent by the Muses to a small town in ancient Lycia, Amara sees something special in Nicholas's kindness and generosity. As she prepares to defend humankind against the Kobaloi, creatures who feed on fear and chaos, she senses this young man may be the partner she needs to stand against their growing power. But binding her fate and her magic to Saint Nicholas will mean breaking the laws of the Muses — and risking their eternal wrath.

• It just stands to reason that if there's a Father Christmas ...

NATURE'S LABYRINTH #1 (OF 6)

Story: Zac Thompson | Art: Bayleigh Underwood | Cover: Filya Bratukhin | Mad Cave Studios | $3.99

In the middle of the ocean lies a remote island complex lined with traps and an ever-changing landscape. Created by a mysterious man known only as "Ahab," the island was designed to test the wills of the world's most notorious criminals. In a battle royale style game, eight violent felons will fight for survival and to the death over the course of three days of relentless action. The winner receives a wealth or riches and complete anonymity, but at the cost of keeping their silence about the island's existence. What Ahab doesn't know is that someone is on to him. Someone has infiltrated his island with the intention of revealing the truth about this twisted game.

NEVERENDER #6 (OF 9)

NINJA HIGH SCHOOL #184

NOMADD: CITY OF EMPTY TOWERS #5 (OF 6)

NOTTINGHAM VOL 2: KING'S RANSOM TP

OZ: RETURN OF WICKED WITCH #1 (OF 3)

Story: David Wohl | Cover: Tristan Thompson | Zenescope | $5.99

In a time before the Emerald City, a Wicked Witch of the North ruled all of Oz. Banished to the southern lands many eons ago and kept at bay by ancient magicks far beyond her control, she languished. Now, with the Witch's exile finally coming to an end, Dorothy and her friends will witness the return of the true Wicked Witch to the Marvelous Land of OZ!

• There's something similar about all the Zenescope covers, but I can't quite put my finger on it.

THE PHANTOM COMPLETE DAILIES VOL 25: 1974-1975 HC

Hermes Press | $52.00

The critically acclaimed, best selling complete reprint of The Phantom continues!

Referred to by comic strip historian Maurice Horn as the “granddaddy of all costumed superheroes,” The Phantom was created in 1936 by Lee Falk. The strip hit the funny pages of newspapers well before the Dark Knight or Superman made their first appearances and has been acknowledged as an influence on every “masked man of mystery” since. The Phantom set the standard for action, adventure, intrigue, and romance in adventure comic strips and comic books - it has frequently been copied but never equaled.

This exciting 25th volume continues the SY BARRY YEARS! Reprinted in all its black and white glory, journey with Hermes Press as we bring you three complete continuities drawn by Sy himself: "The Curse of the Sacred Image," and "The Normal Life," and "The Cavelands." Strips from this issue are taken directly from King Feature’s proofs. Included in the volume is a comprehensive essay and documentary materials.

The critically acclaimed, best selling complete reprint of The Phantom continues!

Referred to by comic strip historian Maurice Horn as the “granddaddy of all costumed superheroes,” The Phantom was created in 1936 by Lee Falk. The strip hit the funny pages of newspapers well before the Dark Knight or Superman made their first appearances and has been acknowledged as an influence on every “masked man of mystery” since. The Phantom set the standard for action, adventure, intrigue, and romance in adventure comic strips and comic books — it has frequently been copied but never equaled.

This exciting 25th volume continues the SY BARRY YEARS! Reprinted in all its black and white glory, journey with Hermes Press as we bring you three complete continuities drawn by Sy himself: "The Curse of the Sacred Image," and "The Normal Life," and "The Cavelands." Strips from this issue are taken directly from King Feature’s proofs. Included in the volume is a comprehensive essay and documentary materials.

• I'm still buying and (mostly) enjoying these. It was a sheer joy at first, but I have to admit that after 25 volumes, it's starting to get hard to ignore the repetition. I am beginning to wonder when this series will reach its conclusion, tho.

POTIONS INC #5 (OF 5)

PROJECT MK-ULTRA VOL 2 HC

PURPLE OBLIVION #1 (OF 4)

Story: E&E Plissken | Art/Cover: Diego Simone | $3.99

From the creators of Heavy Metal Drummer. Jessica Knot: Dominatrix, Disciplinarian, Fetishist, Sadist, Goddess ... or at least that's what her business card says. Enter Peter, a young man whose just found this card and is about to let his curiosity get himself into a situation with that begins with a cult, but ends with something much more sinister.

SCULPTOR W/DUSTJACKET GN

Story/Art: Scott McCloud | First Second Books | $35.99

The New York Times-bestselling magnum opus from comics superstar Scott McCloud is now available in a freshly designed, over-sized hardcover! David Smith is giving his life for his art — literally. Thanks to a deal with Death, the young sculptor gets his childhood wish: to sculpt anything he can imagine with his bare hands. But now that he only has 200 days to live, deciding what to create is harder than he thought, and discovering the love of his life at the eleventh hour isn't making it any easier!

• This is a long way from Zot!, eh?

SHERLOCK HOLMES: CASE OF THE MISSING MARTIAN TP

Story: Doug Murray | Art: Topper Helmers | Cover: Yuan Yao, Mariusz Zabdyr | Caliber | $14.99

Based on the works of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and H.G. Wells, Sherlock Holmes is called out of retirement to London in 1908 to solve a most baffling mystery: The British Museum is missing a perfect specimen of a Martian from the failed invasion of 1899. Did it walk away of its own accord or did someone steal it and if so, why? Holmes ponders the facts and recalls his part in the war effort alongside Professor Challenger during the "War of the Worlds" invasion, chronicled in H.G. Wells' classic novel. Meanwhile, Doctor Watson has problems of his own when his wife steals a scalpel from his surgical tool kit and returns to her old stomping grounds of Whitechapel, the London area of the infamous unsolved murders of Jack the Ripper!

• It's like League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, only with more famous literary characters!

TECHNOPRIESTS HC NEW EDITION

TOM THE DANCING BUG: ALL-MIGHTY COMICS TP

Story/Art: Ruben Bolling | Clover Press $25.99

The Complete Tom the Dancing Bug, Volume 4: 2003-2006

Clover Press's Complete Tom the Dancing Bug program streaks forward with the fourth chronological volume, covering every installment of the award-winning (and two-time Pulitzer Prize Finalist) comic strip, from 2003-2006. 

This volume includes favorite characters of Tom the Dancing Bug, such as:  God-Man, the Omnipotent Superhero; Charley the Australopithecine; Billy Dare, Boy Adventurer; Dinkle, the Un-Lovable Loser; and even the origin of Lucky Ducky.  It also includes a special comic Bolling created for Mad Magazine during the covered years:  "Educa-Fun."

Tom the Dancing Bug is the wildly popular, groundbreaking comic strip that Mark Hamill called "wondrous, whimsical and witty," and that led Seth Meyers to recently write, "The fact that Tom the bug can keep dancing in this day and age is a testament to Ruben Bolling's skills as a cartoonist!"

• Yep, Action Comics #1 with dinosaurs.

TRAVELERS TP

Art: Aron Wiesenfeld | Clover Press | $30.00

Aron Wiesenfeld, a former WildStorm artist, has been creating works of fine art since the early 2000s. Travelers is a curation of his latest pieces from 2014-2020, published in a stunning softcover collection.  Features an introduction by New York based art critic Kimberly Powers.

"Wiesenfeld's paintings are rife with deeply hidden allegory and art historical references, spanning from Byzantine tapestries to the 19th century movements of Tonalism (with a wink and nod to Whistler's nocturnes) and landscapes influenced by the German Romantic painter Caspar David Friedrich. He traverses the realms of narrative painting like a 21st century time traveler, taking us along on his journey, so that we all become companions on his voyage of artistic discovery."

"ARON WIESENFELD. American. Like Hopper he is concerned with solitude, like Magritte he is bewitched by mystery." — Guillermo del Toro

• This is a long way from WildStorm.

TRESE VOL 5: MIDNIGHT TRIBUNAL GN

WASHINGTON WHITE GN

Story/Art: Adam Griffiths | Secret | $24.95

In the District of Columbia, the President authorizes covert testing of a mind-control disease, a greedy developer gentrifies the universe within the disease, and the Black owner of a local tabloid threatens to expose the corruption — because his evil, white tycoon dad is the one behind it.

WHO WILL MAKE THE PANCAKES: FIVE STORIES HC

Story/Art: Megan Kelso | Fantagraphics | $29.99

A suite of five brilliant comics stories united by themes of motherhood, family and love by the acclaimed cartoonist Megan Kelso, exploring the connective tissue that binds us together despite our individual, interior experience. These stories, created over the past 15 years, wrestle with the concept of motherhood and the way the experience informs and impacts concepts of identity, racism, class, love and even abuse. Taken collectively, Who Will Make the Pancakes showcases Kelso's unique voice in graphic fiction (one more in tune with writers such as Alice Munro, Sarah Waters or Ann Patchett than most graphic novelists) and a stylistic command that tailors her approachable and warm cartooning style for each story's needs.

WINDSOR MCCAY: COMPLETE LITTLE NEMO 1905-1927 HC

Story: Alexander Braun, Winsor McCay | Art/Cover: Winsor McCay | $80.00

Meet Little Nemo, a diminutive hero of comic narrative, but one of the greatest dream voyagers of the 20th century. The master creation of Winsor McCay (1869-1934), restless sleeper Nemo inspired generations of artists with his weekly adventures from bed to Slumberland, a realm of colorful companions, psychedelic scenery and thrilling escapades.

Nemo's creator Winsor McCay was a founding figure in the modern American entertainment industry, above all with his revolutionary comics, which set standards for panel layout and storytelling technique, timing and pacing, and architectural and other detail that left an inestimable influence on subsequent artists, including Robert Crumb and Federico Fellini.

TASCHEN's sumptuous Winsor McCay — The Complete Little Nemo collects, in full, glorious color, all 549 episodes of Little Nemo. In the illustrated essay, art historian and comics expert Alexander Braun places Winsor McCay's life and work within the cultural history of the U.S. media and entertainment industry, and explores the immense art historical value of McCay's dream narrative. At once an adventure story, visual delight, and piece of cultural history, this publication is a tremendous monument to one of the most innovative pioneers — and one of the most intrepid explorers-of comic history.

• I think I already have Nemo complete in a four-part series from some other publisher somewhere in the Cave, but this kind of package is hard to resist.

MORE MANGA

ATTACK ON TITAN: FINAL SEASON BOX SET PART 2

AYAKASHI TRIANGLE VOL 1 GN

BLUE BOX VOL 1 GN

CLASSROOM OF ELITE VOL 4 GN

DEMON GIRL NEXT DOOR VOL 6 GN

DON'T TOY WITH ME MISS NAGATORO VOL 13 GN

ELUSIVE SAMURAI VOL 3 GN

EX YAKUZA & STRAY KITTEN VOL 1 GN

A GALAXY NEXT DOOR VOL 3 GN

HAYAO MIYAZAKI SHUNA'S JOURNEY GN

ICEBLADE SORCERER SHALL RULE WORLD VOL 2 GN

I'M NOT MEAT, GET YOUR FILTHY PAWS OFF ME VOL 2 GN

IT'S JUST NOT MY NIGHT: FALLEN VAMPIRE QUEEN VOL 2 GN

KING'S BEAST VOL 8 GN

KUBO WON'T LET ME BE INVISIBLE VOL 4 GN

MANGA Z #4

NATSUME'S BOOK OF FRIENDS VOL 27 GN

NO LONGER HUMAN COMPLETE ED GN

NORAGAMI OMNIBUS VOL 2 GN

ONE PUNCH MAN VOL 24 GN

ONLY THE FLOWER KNOWS VOL 2 GN

ORIENT VOL 10 GN

PRINCE BARI VOL 5 GN

PRINCE BARI VOL 6 GN

SAVIORS BOOK CAFE STORY IN ANOTHER WORLD VOL 4 GN

SKIP BEAT VOL 47 GN

VILLIANS ARE DESTINED TO DIE VOL 1 GN

WORLD AFTER THE FALL VOL 1 GN

YUUNA & HAUNTED HOT SPRINGS VOL 21 GN

MORE YA/KIDS

ANNE ADAPTATION OF ANNE GREEN GABLES (SORT OF) GN

DOODLEVILLE VOL 2: ART ATTACKS GN

ELLES VOL 1: NEW GIRL TP

HILDA TROLBERG STORIES HC

KATIE THE CATSITTER BOXED SET

KITTENS & DRAGONS GN ADV HC

PLAY LIKE A GIRL GN

SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS MYSTERIES: FIND MISSING STAR

STUFF OF LEGEND BOOK 1: THE DARK HC

STUFF OF LEGEND BOOK 2: THE JUNGLE HC

SWEET VALLEY TWINS VOL 1: BEST FRIENDS GN

TRYOUT HC

WHO IS THE MAN IN THE AIR: MICHAEL JORDAN GN

WONDROUS WONDERS GN

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• "In the case of a vampire girlfriend, I guess part of that would be realized."

Both parts, actually, I would think.

"Shouldn't DC be trying to promote other characters to Batman-level popularity, instead of just cashing in on the Bat until we're all sick of him?"

That ship has sailed in my case.

"I'm curious: What does Mary Marvel call herself now?"

Ironic that, now that Freddy Freeman is able to say his own name, he doesn't have it anymore.

"Shouldn't this be Secret Invasion II?"

Better yet, should the "House of Ideas" try something new?

"I am beginning to wonder when this series will reach its conclusion, tho."

Not anytime soon, I would guess, as long as they continue to sell. v25 takes us into 1975, and the strip is still being published today. 

"I think I already have Nemo complete in a four-part series from some other publisher somewhere in the Cave, but this kind of package is hard to resist."

I do remember seeing this solicited but I didn't pre-order it because I have Fantagraphics' six-volume HC series from 1989-1993. It is hard to resist, though. But it's only been a few weeks since I adopted Rob Staeger's precept against duplication

• BATMAN & THE JOKER: DEADLY DUO #1 (OF 7)

Jim Gordon is missing, and after receiving a package containing a bloody piece of Gotham's commissioner, Batman knows he must be willing to do anything to save him.

When the Joker was shot in the kneecap, that lasted ten minutes. Unless the bloody piece of Jim Gordon is his appendix, how will he be depicted going forward? Or they'll just cop out and say it's a multiverse story?

• Re The Phantom, the feature charted a new course in some respects from the later 1970s.

Sy Barry used a number of ghost collaborators: according to this article, at different points, Bob Forgione, Don Heck, Joe Giella, Andre LeBlanc, Rich Buckler, and George Olesen. According to the article's information the volumes are currently in LeBlanc's period on the dailies, and Olesen was doing the Sundays.

The plot of "The Things" ("Vampires of Koqania") from 1973 was a variation on a 1947 Mandrake story, "Wolf Valley". There might be other cases like this; I just happen to have run into this one.

• "Ghost Who Walks" collaborators?

Luke Blanchard said:

Sy Barry used a number of ghost collaborators: according to this article,

• Not anytime soon, I would guess, as long as they continue to sell. v25 takes us into 1975, and the strip is still being published today. 

I'm hoping that they'll call it a day when Sy Barry's run ends, or some other natural stopping point. Otherwise, I'll adopt one of those stopping points myself.

Sy Barry used a number of ghost collaborators: according to this article, at different points, Bob Forgione, Don Heck, Joe Giella, Andre LeBlanc, Rich Buckler, and George Olesen. According to the article's information the volumes are currently in LeBlanc's period on the dailies, and Olesen was doing the Sundays.

I've noticed Joe Giella's signature rendering here and there, and commented on it. Earlier in the series I saw hints and portents of other artists, like the ubiquitous Mike Sekowsky. (His hands are unmistakable.) If you're familiar with the artists of the period -- and most people on this board are -- you can ID some of those Ghosts Who Draw.

Unless the bloody piece of Jim Gordon is his appendix, how will he be depicted going forward?

That's a good point, and I have no idea. Maybe he'll lose something that isn't noticeable at a glance, so that don't have to draw it all the time, like a foot. But I'm not really concerned, because it'll disappear in the next revamp.

This reply was deleted.