Views: 774

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I really enjoyed that one. What an awful title it has! It just doesn't give *any* clue to what it's about. But the actions and emotions felt very true to life, and the art was clear and attractive. 

From the Comixology Submit SXSW bundle over on the "Big Digital Comics Sale" thread. I read the two Rob mentioned this morning.

Snipe (by Katherine & Stuart Immonen) is a cool arty comic which they originally published as a limited-edition print comic. There are two stories, both about snipers (of a sort). The first is a wildlife photographer trying to photograph a hawk, but his previous night's dreams keep surfacing. Lush, realistic illustration style, B&W with green tones.The second is about Simo Hayha, legendary Finnish sniper during the Winter War. It's a text piece with illustrations (rather than a conventional cartoon), which uses lots of scientific diagrams with cartooning running along the bottom. Primarily B&W, with red highlights. I liked it a lot: an intriguing bit of experimental storytelling.

Andrew Jackson Throws a Punch: An Inaugural Brawl (by Andrea Tsurumi) features a long imaginary sequence at Jackson's famous rowdy inaugural ball. Punches are indeed thrown. It's followed by a few pages about Jackson as man and President, and the punch recipe. Fun stuff, much more hand-drawn, with an interesting orange and yellow color pallette. Tsurumi uses the Guided View feature as part of the storytelling.

Finally, another one I read earlier that may have gotten buried in the other thread:

Leaving Megalopolis by Gail Simone (Author ) & Jim Calafiore (Illustrator), a good Astro City-style take on superheroes. In fact it's really a horror story that focuses on the regular citizens trying to survive in a city where the superheroes have all started murdering people instead of saving them. The title story is about 90 pages long. Then there's a 13-page backup written & illustrated by Calafiore, followed by some prose pieces filling in story background and discussion of the character design.

Very substantial bit of world-building here. I'm sure the team could tell many more stories set in Megalopolis.

I read Snipe and Boobage.  I didn't find either particularly satisfying.

Snipe's art did make for a rather striking package, unfortunately, I found it too disjointed for my taste.  It made me think more of Dementia and A.D.D. rather than photographers and snipers.  As you say, experimental storytelling.

Boobage didn't really strike me as much of a story, it was more an autobiographical history that just ends.  I didn't really feel like it went anyplace, it just stopped because this was the point in time she was writing it; she didn't really seem to come to terms with her appearance.  Like life... no conclusions.

Now in all fairness, I'm not really the target market for either of these works.  Not really a fan of biographies and I like my stories meaty, (with a side of potatoes), so my not liking them really doesn't say that much except that I stepped outside my comfort zone and it didn't work out this time... such is life.

That is the beauty of these bundles. At least it doesn't cost much to try things, plus they're generally pretty short. Actually Megalopolis is a bit out of my normal comfort zone, not being a frequent reader of superhero comics these days. But it did manage to win me over.

I haven't tried my Submit password in so long I'm not sure it works! Glad you guys are carrying the load so we can all benefit.

20. C.U.P.I.D.S. #1

Written by: Charlie McCarrick

Pencils by: Carlos Gomez

Colored by: Francisco Perez

Lettered by: Albert Deschesne

This was a 32 page comic set in the world of the Cherub Union for the Preservation of Intimacy, Devotion and Sensuality, a covert organization, (with roots in the Greek Myths), that seeks to make the world better via the consequences of unlikely matches.

C.U.P.I.D.S. is a nice looking book with a good deal of action and an interesting premise.  The background and motivations seem well thought out and the scope is extensive; starting with a training class getting background on the Trojan War, we then rush into a present day action hero sequence with one of the agents, before being introduced to a villain that’s pushing back against the Cupids.

Unfortunately, I had a couple of issues with the execution.  There were a few points where the colouring muddied up the scenes to the point it was difficult to follow the action.  Likewise, in a couple of spots the dialogue didn’t seem to clearly fit the panels.  Lastly, from a personal standpoint, I thought the dialogue got a little crass in places.

Overall though, I thought this was a fun comic with some good potential.  If you enjoy a lot of the output from Top Cow, you might want to give this a look. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service