Curse Words Vol. 1: The Devil's Devil

Created by Charles Soule & Ryan Browne

Image Comics, 2017

The keywords on the back cover of this first collection of Soule and Browne's series (below "Mature Readers") are "Fantasy/Humor/Koalas," which summarizes the tone very well. It stars a wizard named Wizord and Margaret, his talking koala sidekick (who asked to be switched to a koala after realizing how people responded to rats). He was sent to destroy the world--apparently his master back in the Hole World needs it to retain his magical powers--but it takes him over a month to get ready, and by then he has changed his mind. 

This does not escape the notice of his master Sizzajee, who sends another wizard (named Cornwall) after him. His battle with Cornwall threatens his freshly created image as helper and protector of humanity. And his victory in that battle drives Sizzajee to take the radical step of cutting off the source of Wizord's magic. Margaret figures out a way to uncover the secret sources of magic on Earth--which involves things like emotions influenced by movies, stage illusions, and gambler's believing in luck--and helps Wizord to power himself back up. He's in a hurry, because his ex Ruby Stitch has been dispatched to finish the job. At the climax of their battle Ruby can't bring herself to kill him: so their master cuts off her magic, too.

So at the end of the volume there are two formerly evil wizards in the world, who are probably going to have to work together to prevent the Earth's destruction. Expect lots of complications, as well as lots of laughs. This is a fun series. Soule seems to have given his humor full reign: he's clearly not afraid of bad puns, or any other over-the-top humor.

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I'm glad you liked it, Mark, as I've really enjoyed the series. I was reading it for for free at my LCS, and I enjoyed it so much, that I decided to support it with my money, and pick it on a monthly basis. I think comedy is very hard to pull of in comics, and I think Soule pulls it off.

This reply was deleted.