Daredevil Questions AKA I Was Wondering #20

Daredevil was always a favorite of mine and easy to collect. Unfortunately he spent his Silver Age as a definite Marvel B-Lister and a weaker version of Spider-Man. His title was never one of Marvel's best sellers and was almost cancelled at least once. Of course, he rebounded with Frank Miller's brilliant run in the 70s and is currently one of the best books out there.

However there are several discrepancies and oversights (and outright weirdness) in Hornhead's backstory and some definite questions, so:

• Why did young Matt Murdock keep his heightened senses a secret? Did he tell his father? Did the doctors know? Enhanced hearing and smell must have quite painful in a hospital where normal people can't sleep! It's almost like young Matt was planning for a super-hero career!
  • Just using Daredevil #1 as a basis, was he able to act like a regular blind man in college? Did he really use his cane or just go through the motions? No one noticed how independent he was?
  • Why did Matt fall in love with Karen Page? How did he know how beautiful she was? Did he do the "feel-your-face" routine? Was it a purer love or were his hormones linked to his radar sense?
  • Who was Daredevil's greatest Silver Age foe: the OWL or the JESTER? I'm assuming that the Owl was designed to be (a blind hero versus a night predator) but the Jester made a lot of appearances! Unfortunately, the Owl was never that impressive (he can glide!) and the Jester was always a bargain basement Joker!
  • I hate to bring this up but....oh who am I kidding! "MIKE MURDOCK"!!!! What was Stan thinking? A twin brother that Foggy Nelson, Matt's best friend since college, knew nothing about? A twin brother that was never mentioned? And who always wore sunglasses, even at night? Beyond that, both Foggy and Karen were no strangers to Daredevil and he certainly never acted like "Mike"!
  • I believe that in #100 it was fully explained by Matt that the "original" Daredevil was "Mike" who got killed and that "another man" was now Daredevil #2. Did any of DD's friends or foes bring that little tidbit up again? "I'll stop you again, Leapfrog!" "Wait I fought the first guy, not you!" "What? Oh yeah! Please to meet you!" *PUNCH*
  • Besides the Black Widow, who was the first super-hero to find out that Daredevil was blind?
  • Was the Man Without Fear Marvel's second best non-super fighter after Captain America? Where would he rate against the Black Panther, Nick Fury, Ka-Zar or Hawkeye in hand-to-hand combat?
  • Why did the AVENGERS never call? We know that DD couldn't accept because being around too many heroes would confuse his radar sense. At least, that's what he claimed. But he was never asked. Cap, Thor and Iron Man worked with him and knew how capable he was. And they asked Spider-Man who was deemed "a menace" and the Sub-Mariner after he tried to conquer New York City!
  • Was his blindness a factor as to why it took so long to get animated? They couldn't or wouldn't show a person with a disability, regardless of how he overcame it? Or were they afraid no one would relate to him?
  • Neat fact: When they made The Trial of the Incredible Hulk TV movie, with Rex Smith as DD, Stan Lee saw that the mask had no eyeholes and asked why. They said that it was because he was blind. Yeah, said Stan, but no one was supposed to know that! 

That's my testimony. What's yours?

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I like the Mike Murdock thing, so there! I don't know if Lee was going for understated parody at that point, but that's what he and Colan were effectively doing and I find it fun.

• 1936156116?profile=originalNow, Foggy, being a lawyer, should have asked he had never heard Matt utter a single word about a twin brother and asked for proof like a photo or something along that line. Or even checked Matt's records for any mention.

And what about Karen? Basic small talk staple is the siblings one.

Karen: "so, any brothers or sisters?"

Matt: "No....I mean yes....maybe...what's with the third degree?? I want my lawyer!"

• He goes further! He actually has them meet Mike! Why would you need further proof when you've met the guy?

"I'm sorry, Mike! I don't believe you actually exist because I haven't seen your VACATION PHOTOS and BABY PICTURES!"

Seriously, yes, Foggy would probably have looked into it figuring something about it smelt.

• Sorry to butt in guys but - you're discussing how clever Foggy is?
    He's the guy that thought Karen would believe HE was DD by wearing a the reds and fighting Gladiator. Not that bright.
  • I liked Mike Murdock too.  Silly but fun.

Of the various and sundry Daredevil villains from the Silver Age, I wouldn't refer to any of them as arch-villains.   I could easily make a case for Mr. Fear as I could for the Owl as I could for the Plunderer as I could for the Gladiator.

• Why did young Matt Murdock keep his heightened senses a secret? Did he tell his father? Did the doctors know? Enhanced hearing and smell must have quite painful in a hospital where normal people can't sleep! It's almost like young Matt was planning for a super-hero career!

He kept it a secret so he could secretly spy on people! I dunno.

Why did Matt fall in love with Karen Page? How did he know how beautiful she was? Did he do the "feel-your-face" routine? Was it a purer love or were his hormones linked to his radar sense?

Reminds me of BMB's run on DD when Foggy asked Matt how a blind man kept dating women who looked like supermodels. He may not have exactly know how beautiful she was, but he would certainly attract a good looking woman. He is a good looking guy, and a rich lawyer.

Who was Daredevil's greatest Silver Age foe: the OWL or the JESTER? I'm assuming that the Owl was designed to be (a blind hero versus a night predator) but the Jester made a lot of appearances! Unfortunately, the Owl was never that impressive (he can glide!) and the Jester was always a bargain basement Joker!

Dunno, but The Jester was always my favorite.

Was the Man Without Fear Marvel's second best non-super fighter after Captain America? Where would he rate against the Black Panther, Nick Fury, Ka-Zar or Hawkeye in hand-to-hand combat?

I think the Black Panther could probably take DD. I'll take DD over the rest though.

Was his blindness a factor as to why it took so long to get animated? They couldn't or wouldn't show a person with a disability, regardless of how he overcame it? Or were they afraid no one would relate to him?

I think you nailed  up above really. He wasn't a popular enough to warrant animation.

Neat fact: When they made The Trial of the Incredible Hulk TV movie, with Rex Smith as DD, Stan Lee saw that the mask had no eyeholes and asked why. They said that it was because he was blind. Yeah, said Stan, but no one was supposed to know that!

Daredevil is actually my favorite Marvel hero, and man I was so disappointed in his depiction in that Hulk movie.

• Was Matt a rich lawyer? I don't remember him being that wealthy. Foggy had money and Natasha had money, but Matt? I don't think so.

• He would have to have a decent cash roll. He owned his own place in NYC. He seemed to spend half of his days in costume over lawyering. Those billy clubs and costumes aren't cheap. You never heard him wondering how he would make rent ala Peter Parker. Or any other money problems for that matter.  Plus being partner gave him a share in whatever Foggy brought in. He isn't Bruce Wayne rich, but he certainly well-off.

• Matt was poor in his childhood.  As an adult he owned a New York Brownstone.  Even in 1960's dollars, that costs one heck  of a lot.  I'd say being a lawyer paid quite well.

• Could he have possibly won a settlement over his accident? They were transporting nuclear material through the city and at the first sign of trouble, they throw it out the back door!! That can't be regulation!

This reply was deleted.