Dark Knight III

What the actual frak?!?!?

I'm trying to parse the Preview copy for the third Dark Knight mini series and it just sound like a spectacular orgy of overkill.

First, the creator credits:

DARK KNIGHT III: THE MASTER RACE #1
Written by FRANK MILLER and BRIAN AZZARELLO
Art by ANDY KUBERT and KLAUS JANSON
Mini comic art TBA
Cover by ANDY KUBERT and KLAUS JANSON

I'll get to the mini-comic part of the WTaF here in a second, but just right off the bat I'm thinking that for something with Frank Miller;'s name plastered all over it, this comic seems to have a distinct lack of Frank Miller.

Now for the really freaky part:

DC COMICS PRESENTS DARK KNIGHT III: THE MASTER RACE
DC Comics is proud to present the debut issue of DARK KNIGHT III: THE MASTER RACE, one of the most ambitious projects ever from a major American comics publisher. Here are the details…
Each issue of DARK KNIGHT III: THE MASTER RACE will include:
• A 32-page standard format comic book that will measure 6.625” x 10.1875”
• A 16-page minicomic with no interior ads that will measure 5.5” x 8.375”
The minicomic will be tipped on to an insert and bound into the main comic.
After the release of each issue of DARK KNIGHT III: THE MASTER RACE, DC Entertainment will release a volume of the DARK KNIGHT III: THE MASTER RACE COLLECTOR’S EDITION that will collect the both the main story and mini-comic from latest issue of DARK KNIGHT III: THE MASTER RACE as a single 7.0625” x 10.875” title, with both stories presented at the same trim size.
After the first seven DARK KNIGHT III: THE MASTER RACE COLLECTOR’S EDITION have been published, DC Entertainment will ship a special slipcase designed to hold the entire set with the eighth COLLECTOR’S EDITION.
DKIII also will feature a dazzling array of variant covers by some of the biggest names in comics today. And, for the first time ever, DC will offer custom store variant editions to qualifying retailers. Watch for more information coming soon!

So basically they're telling us they're going to follow each issue/mini/comic combo with a Collected Edition feature the issue and mini-comic combined at the same size (and eventually they'll sell us a box to hold these things) -- which doesn't even take into account the eventual collected editions, Omnibii editions. TPBs, etc that you just know are coming.

So, again, I ask "What the actual frak?!?!"

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I read the same copy and had the same thoughts. I simply decided to wait and see what the first issue looks like, then decide which format, if any, I would buy/tradewait. My initial thought? Well, "a spectacular orgy of overkill" sums it up quite nicely.

• Is there really much demand for this? DKII was awful.
  • Sounds like they are taking pointers from the people who put out the Lord of the Rings blu ray sets.

I'll probably just wait for a digital version.
  • Holy crap. That is nuts. I think I will be trade-waiting this one for sure...see where it all settles.

• Dark Knight II was so awful that Frank Miller is less of a selling point for me on Dark Knight III than Brian Azzarello. 

• I re-read DK2 a couple years ago... I wanted to read it back to back with Batman Odyssey and start a discussion called "Bat$#!+ Crazy", but I didn't get Odyssey read at the time. I still need to go back and read it!

• Wandering Sensei: Moderator Man said:

I re-read DK2 a couple years ago... I wanted to read it back to back with Batman Odyssey and start a discussion called "Bat$#!+ Crazy", but I didn't get Odyssey read at the time. I still need to go back and read it!

Why would you do that to yourself? I wouldn't wish that agony on anybody! 

• When you read it as an absurdist, unintentional comedy, it's much more interesting.

ClarkKent_DC said:

Why would you do that to yourself? I wouldn't wish that agony on anybody! 

• Why are they doing this? Because the fans will buy ANYTHING!

I can't believe they are telegraphing all of their efforts to sell us the same thing multiple times. The only thing they didn't mention is the omnibus version of DK1, DK2 and DK3.

I agree that DK2 was terrible. I won't touch this with a ten-foot pole. I hope those that get stuck holding the bag are Miller and DC, not the retailers and not the customers.

• Actually, I liked DKII. It wasn't perfect, but I think there was a lot of good there. And yes, I think Miller was going for parody there.

Wandering Sensei: Moderator Man said:

When you read it as an absurdist, unintentional comedy, it's much more interesting.

This reply was deleted.