Reply by Wandering Sensei: Moderator Man on July 16, 2017 at 11:43pm

I get the feeling Snyder has started his own universe here. As much as it may splinter off and affect that official "DCU", the multiverse will surely play out in many ways throughout this series. I like the idea of the "Dark Multiverse", which makes me wonder if this is a separate, dark version of the 52 universes (making 104 universes?), or whether the dark multiverse is just one of the 52. Either way, it will probably play out the same. I'm looking forward to whatever plays out.

I think we got the answer to this question in the first issue of this series. 

I'm looking forward to reading the rest of this series. It looks like it's going to be a ton of bombastic fun. Anyone else read it yet?

Views: 551

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm not thrilled with those deaths either, Cap -- but one of those characters in particular is such a great quirk of the DCU that I don't see it standing. 

Captain Comics said:

I skipped over several of the one-shots to go directly to issue #3. Murder Machine, Dawnbreaker, The Drowned. Do I need to read them, Legionnaires? Or is it just "Batman murders the Justice League and becomes one of them" over and over?

Yeah, you don't need to read them unless you are interested in the "origin stories" for the DarkBat Leaguers. If you were only going to read one, I'd recommend Murder Machine.

Btw, the template for the tie-in stories is basically as follows:

We see an earth from the dark multiverse.  It's designated by a negative number that seems to loosely correspond to a positive numbered earth from Morrison's Multiversity.

We learn how a DarkBat version of a Justice Leaguer came to exist on this Earth.  DarkBat Green Lantern, DarkBat Flash etc...

The DarkBat Leaguer travels to Earth 0 and battles his counterpart. Murder Machine vs Cyborg etc...

The DarkBat Leaguer defeats the Earth 0 counterpart and is about to kill him.

Dr Fate arrives and whisks the good guy away.

Read Murder Machine with an eye to whether it really adds anything I need to know to enjoy Metal. It didn't (as far as I can tell), so I"m going to skip the rest of the "origin" stories.

Batman: Lost, on the other hand, was a lot of fun. We've seen something similar before -- the here shifting around from alternate reality to alternate reality, trying to get out -- but Snyder and company do it with panache.

I'm also reading the "Bats Out of Hell" storyline that crosses over between Flash, Justice League, and Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps. It's fun, but probably skippable overall; I expect it to be recapped in a panel or two in the next issue of Metal. 

Batman Lost made me want to go back and read ... Infinite Crisis? Final Crisis? Whichever it was that sent Batman back to the Stone Age. This seems like a sequel, or just taking inexplicable things in that story and building a coherent story out of it.

Has anybody done that? I'm curious how much extrapolation was done -- and, I guess, how much we can speculate Morrison had in mind at the time.

I didn't buy The Man Who Laughs, but I did read the final issue of the Bats Out of Hell crossover among Justice League, Flash, and Green Lantern. It was a fun, but largely inconsequential story. Cyborg gets a bit of a multiversal upgrade, and the group gets to see different threads of Hypertime briefly. More interesting to me was Cyborg's relationship with an old friend, Raven...who's someone I didn't realize he'd met before in this version of the DCU. Nice to see them reunited, though.

And as a character beat, I really liked Cyborg embracing the role not of player, but of coach. That's a great way for him to look at it, and I'd like if that characterization continued even when Batman gets on board.

Up to this point, I've been a little uncomfortable with Cyborg's role in the League. Due to the nature of his powers, he does make a good fit for "The Guy in the Chair" (to lift from Spider-Man: Homecoming). So, yeah, Batman was always calling up to the satellite telling Vic what he needed him to do. 

All well and good, but Cyborg is obviously there as the token black guy, which isn't necessarily bad, since it breaks up the universal whiteness of the League. But it only works if the token gets to act as more than a token, and as a full equal. Which isn't the case when he's essentially Batman's butler in the League.

So if he adopts a different role than butler, especially a leadership position, then maybe my discomfort will fade.

Yes, exactly. I think Vic is a great character, and he gets sidelined all the time. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2017   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service