Reply by Wandering Sensei: Moderator Man on July 16, 2017 at 11:43pm

I get the feeling Snyder has started his own universe here. As much as it may splinter off and affect that official "DCU", the multiverse will surely play out in many ways throughout this series. I like the idea of the "Dark Multiverse", which makes me wonder if this is a separate, dark version of the 52 universes (making 104 universes?), or whether the dark multiverse is just one of the 52. Either way, it will probably play out the same. I'm looking forward to whatever plays out.

I think we got the answer to this question in the first issue of this series. 

I'm looking forward to reading the rest of this series. It looks like it's going to be a ton of bombastic fun. Anyone else read it yet?

Views: 883

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Is Batman Found where Bruce Wayne is in caveman times and the whole "four tribes" thing was set up? (Apparently a throwaway Grant Morrison bit.) I thought that was in one of the last two Crises (I get Final and Infinite mixed up in my head). Or maybe that's where he was hit with the Omega beams, and the story of his struggle back to our time was presented elsewhere? I seem to remember part or all of that happening in one Bat-book or the other.

The reason I ask is because I want to re-read the caveman issues, but I don't remember where they are.

How about that Plastic Man reveal? That was unexpected, and it changes who and what Plastic Man is, so I'm not sure how I feel about that. And he and Mr. Terrific are good buddies? That must have happened off-camera!

Anyway, it all looks pretty bad for the good guys, right? The good news is that in each scenario, they've carefully placed something on the mantlepiece that can reverse the current fortunes. I could almost write issue #6 myself at this point, but I'm sure there will be some more surprises in store.

I think you're right about the special, Rob. I don't recall it being on any schedule before, and this thing is already running pretty late.

I think the caveman stuff started out in the 6-issue miniseries that Morrison wrote when Batman was sent back in time in Final Crisis. (Was it called The Return of Bruce Wayne?) It should be in the first issue of that. And then it was touched on again in Batman: Lost. (There's not a Batman: Found, as far as I know -- there's a Hawkman: Found, but I haven't read that.)

This "metal" thing strikes me as similar to the metagene from Invasion -- everyone will pay lip service to the idea for a while, and then it will fall by the wayside, unless the story calls for it. (In a way, it's a resurfacing of the metagene; the Joker at one point explains that a hospital was flagging children that tested positive for presence of the metals, but the computer only allowed four slots to ID the tag, so they couldn't spell the whole word. Hence, "META."

Which seems a little too cute to me, but whatever. 

That's actually how I feel about all the mythology behind this miniseries -- the Bird, Bat, Bear, and Wolf tribes, all the different metals, etc. It's barkingly preposterous...but really no more so than anything in comics I read when I was a kid, with OA being the center of the universe, with a giant hand at the beginning, with space being patrolled by Manhunters for a millennium, until they rebelled against the Guardians, etc. It's ALL bonkers, and the stuff that I was introduced to at 7 is not necessarily less bonkers than this new stuff, just because I took it at face value then.  

And it would ALL go down much easier if so much of the exposition wasn't written in Steve Wands's hideously hard-to-read Joker font. 

I find that as I get older any captions or world balloons that get cute with the coloring makes it difficult for me to read. Sometimes I *gasp* just skip over large blocks of words that are red on black or some other poor contrast.

Yeah, red on black in Jokerscratch makes The Batman Who Laughs my least favorite villain ever. 

I love your idea of playing heavy metal while reading it. That's what I keep thinking while I'm reading it--the Iron Maiden arcade game at the roller-skating rink when I was a kid. It was neon, scary, and awesome. That's what this series makes me think of--nothing less, nothing more.

Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) said:

That's actually how I feel about all the mythology behind this miniseries -- the Bird, Bat, Bear, and Wolf tribes, all the different metals, etc. It's barkingly preposterous...but really no more so than anything in comics I read when I was a kid, with OA being the center of the universe, with a giant hand at the beginning, with space being patrolled by Manhunters for a millennium, until they rebelled against the Guardians, etc. It's ALL bonkers, and the stuff that I was introduced to at 7 is not necessarily less bonkers than this new stuff, just because I took it at face value then.  

Yeah. I mean, I grew up reading Bob Haney's Brave & the Bold which basically showed a blatant disregard for continuity, history, tradition or internal logic. And at the same time, Roy Thomas was busy trying to make every single minute piece of comic history fit together seamlessly whether he was writing Avengers or All Star Squadron.

Metal is sort of a retcon or an EYKIW, or both so it's a little hard to take seriously if you believe that continuity is a necessary element in mainstream comics. But I think you're right that it will eventually just be forgotten for the most part. I just can't see something this far "out there" becoming canon.

Well, has anyone read that last issue yet? I thought it was good, and the ending did deliver on the promise.

One thing that irks me is that this isn't the first time we've had a whole bunch of alternative universe Batmen appear, and once again, it was really for no reason. They just fight bad guys in the background of a few panels, if that.

You know that scene in Iron Man 3 (I loved that movie, personally), where all of the Iron Man armors arrive and it shows them all doing their individual kinds of things in the battle? I would love that, especially if you are going to have a bunch of alternative universe versions of the character show up suddenly. Otherwise, I don't get the point.

I enjoyed this series, but not quite as much as I'd hoped in the beginning. And some of the elements -- like the last-minute appearance by interdimensional Batmen -- were given short shrift. A lot of the story almost feels like it's told in shorthand -- only showing the "good" parts. Which means it's jam-packed with crazy ideas and fun images, but is a little light on overall sense. 

But as a comic you can bang your head to, it's pretty much exactly what it says on the tin. 

Yeah, it's promise of being a big, fun story definitely played through.

I often think of that "short shrift" idea as Dr. Fate Syndrome. Whenever Dr. Fate is a part of a team book, it seems like all he does is fight in the background, where he just makes yellow spheres come out of his hands and little or nothing else. Dr. Fate should be a powerhouse, and should considerably alter the playing field.

I don't want to obsess over that little part, though, because really, it was just a fun story with all kinds of crazy ideas, as you said. It was a technicolor explosion of heavy metal action, kind of like Mad Max Fury Road.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2018   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service