I’d like to start this continuation of the Dark Shadows discussion from the old board with a look at some of the new and upcoming Dark Shadows audio stories from Big Finish Productions. There aren’t nearly as many Dark Shadows audio adventures as there are Doctor Who ones, but the Doctor Who series has been around longer. The Dark Shadows audios are a mixed bag. The first release was a full-cast sequel titled “Return to Collinwood”. Later they began to release a series of interconnected sequential stories grouped in short “seasons”. More recently they’ve been going back to the timeline of the original television show and telling interstitial one-shots. As the Dark Shadows series seems to be catching on, Big Finish seems to be ramping up their production schedule. “Curse of the Pharaoh” was released in September, and the next four are set for monthly release beginning in January at a special subscription rate.

CURSE OF THE PHARAOH:

“Curse of the Pharaoh” stars Nancy Barrett (reprising her role as Carolyn Stoddard) and Marie Wallace (perhaps best known as “Eve” on the TV show) in a new role, famed Egyptologist Dr. Gretchen Warwick. The story doesn’t specify, but I assume it takes place shortly after the end of the series original TV series, circa 1970 or so. Both actresses are kind of rusty and sound as old as they are, not as young as they (Caroline, anyway) are supposed to be. Barrett was always a better actress than Wallace, and that remains true. Wallace’s shortcomings are spotlighted in this “dramatic reading” in which she plays other bit parts, most of the male (Bob the bartender at The Blue Whale, Eliot Stokes on the telephone, Carolyn’s father in flashback), which she performs in a gruff kind of storybook voice as if reading aloud to a child. The story itself is a sequel to the unpopular “Leviathan” television storyline. If you’ve never heard a Dark Shadows audio and thinking of trying one out, there are better ones to start with than this.

KEY: OB = Old Board; UR = Un-Reviewed

Return to Collinwood - 169

SEASON ONE:
S1.1 The House of Despair - 1
S1.2 The Book of Temptation - OB
S1.3 The Christmas Presence - OB
S1.4 The Rage Beneath - 7

SEASON TWO: Kingdom of the Dead - 7

DRAMATIC READINGS:

1. Angelique’s Descent-Pt. 1 - OB
2. Angelique’s Descent-Pt. 2 - OB
3. Clothes of Sand - OB
4. The Ghost Walker - OB
5. The Skin Walkers - OB
6. The Path of Fate - OB
7. The Wicked & the Dead - OB
8. Echoes of Insanity - OB
9. Curse of the Pharaoh - 1
10. Final Judgment - 1
11. Blood Dance - 1
12. The Night Whispers - 1
13. London’s Burning - 2
14. The Doll House - 30
15. The Blind Painter - 87
16. The Death Mask - 88
17. The Creeping Fog - 89
18. The Carrion Queen - 89
19. The Poisoned Soul - 96
20. The Lost Girl - 96
21. The Crimson Pearl - 114
22. The Voodoo Amulet - 129
23. The House by the Sea - 170
24. Dress Me in Dark Dreams - 154
25. The Eternal Actress - 162
26. The Fall of House Trask - 163
27. Operation: Victor - 166
28. Speak No Evil - 166
29. The Last Stop - 166
30. Dreaming of the Water - 167
31. The Haunted Refrain - 167
32. A Collinwood Christmas - 167
33. The Phantom Bride - 167
34. Beneath the Veil - 167
35. The Enemy Within - 167
36. The Lucifer Gambit - 167
37. The Flip Side - 167
38. Beyond the Grave - 168
39. Curtain Call - 168
40. The Harvest of Souls - 170
41. The Happier Dead - 168
42. The Carriage Damned - 168
43. The Devil Cat - 168
44. The Darkest Shadow - 173

SEASON THREE: Bloodlust - 170-172, 181

45. Panic - 173
46. The Curse of Shurafa - 173
47. In the Twinkling of an Eye - 173
48. Deliver Us from Evil - 173
49. Tainted Love - 173
50. ...And Red All Over - 175

Echoes of the Past - 176

Blood & Fire - 176

Haunting Memories - 177

Phantom Melodies - 178

Dreams of Long Ago - 178

THE TONY & CASSANDRA MYSTERIES:
The Mystery at Crucifix Heights - 179
The Mystery of La Danse Macabre - 179
The Mystery of Flight 493 - 180
The Mystery of Karmina Sonata - 180

SHADOWS OF THE NIGHT:
Trio - 180
Honeymoon from Hell - 180
Retreat -180
1:53 AM - 180

MAGGIE & QUENTIN - THE LOVERS' REFRAIN:
The Girl Beneath the Water - 180
The Sand That Speaks HIs Name - 180
The Hollow Winds That Beckon
The Paper to the Flame

Views: 13084

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I acquired them circa 2003-2004, read the first four or five, then petered out. Now I'm back into them again. I paid between $2-5 apiece for mine, except for the last three or four which had smaller print runs and are more difficult to find. I think I went as high as $7 for those, but sometimes I had to buy lots so it's difficult to say. What kinds of prices are you seeing? If you're interested in any let me know; I have about a half dozen or so duplicated.
The last time I checked Ebay it was mostly single copies, few if any lots, and the prices were in the $10 - $20 range per book. Add shipping and it is a bit much for a single paperback. I'll check through the titles over the next few days and let you know if there are specific ones I'd be interested in.

Here's a list of the ones I have duplicated:

7. The Foe of Barnabas Collins

9. The Demon of Barnabas Collins

13. Barnabas Collins and the Mysterious Ghost

18. Barnabas, Quentin and the Nightmare Assassin

19. Barnabas, Quentin and the Crystal Coffin

Barnabas Joke of the Day: You hear a lot of stories about Barnabas being such a monster. But her really believes in the blood of human kindness.

I’m still in the midst of re-watching the “Phoenix” storyline and I’m discovered another discrepancy I’d like to clear up. Prior to this viewing I had remembered that Vicki and Frank discovered evidence of previous incarnations of Laura Murdoch who had lived in the 18th and 19th centuries. I also remembered that a previous incarnation had been married to Jeremiah Collins and was, in fact, his first wife. A few weeks ago I commented that no mention at all was made of Jeremiah’s previous marriage during the entire 1795 storyline. What I hadn’t realized until last night, though, was that that marriage was a continuity implant from the 1897 story arc and was not revealed as part of the original Phoenix story at all (further proof that the show jumped the original time track after Vicki’s first trip to the past). Here’s a brief run-down of the different Lauras…

Original Timeline:
1767: Laura Murdoch Stockbridge, died by fire
1867: Laura Murdoch Radcliffe, died by fire
1967: Laura Murdoch Collins, died by fire (?)

Revised Timeline:
Laura Stockbridge, married to Jeremiah Collins prior to 1795
Laura Murdoch, married to Edward Collins prior to 1897
Laura Murdoch, married Roger Collins in 1956

As you can see, it would be difficult to reconcile these characters as the same person in a consistent timeline without abandoning the “dies by fire every 100 years” aspect. I maintain that Laura is simply a ghost, but Tracy challenges, “How can a ghost do all those things Laura does?” All right, she’s the ghost of a witch.

Barnabas Joke of the Day: What does Barnabas tell the models who want to be on Dark Shadows? He tells them to come by for a scream test.
Jeff - I may be interested in #13,18 and 19 on your duplicates list. Let me know what you think as far as selling/trading. If trading is an option I can put together a short list of comics or TPBs I'd be willing to swap.
I like the passenger list and hot meals gags.

Saw the "Bloopers that were actually broadcast" last night, along with a few conventional out-takes. Aome were quite funny. The one that sticks with me the most for some reason is:

Barnabas: "Tell them that you saw no one here."

Some Guy:  "But what should I tell them?"

Barnabas: "That you saw no one here!"

House of Dark Shadows

1)I'm guessing this isn't "in continuity" with the TV show, even though it's using alot of the same actors.

2)Who's Daphne? Some kind of private secretary?

3)If you weren't already a fan of the show, you'd have a hard time figuring out who was who here.

4)Who's Carolyn's boyfriend? Or is he Maggie's?

5)Who's Jeff?

6)"There's so much about you that I'm dying to know."  Funny you should say that.

7)None of this business of biting Willie on the arm here.

8)That's a whole new definition of a stake-out!

9)It's like several years of the show compressed.

10)I question if a magical curse can be removed by science.

11)I knew something was up with Stokesy.

12)I think the only thing I'm confused about is who Jeff and Todd were.

Overall, not a bad little story - not as draggy as having to watch 150 episodes of the show to see 90 minutes worth of plot.

Oh, and a funny thing - one of my Christmas presents was a DVD of all six episodes of Police Squad!.  After I watched House of Dark Shadows I popped in the Police Squad! DVD, and who do you suppose played the heel in the first episode? Kathryn Leigh Scott!
Last night I finished watching Collection One (episode #240 I believe) which ends with Barnabas waking in his coffin just in time to stop Maggie, dressed in her wedding gown, from impaling him. One thing bugs me and I am wondering if I missed a show. A few episodes earlier David was peering in the window of the old house and mistakes Maggie for the ghost of Josette. Later, he sneaks into the old house and while standing in the parlor, Maggie comes down the stairs. David cries out, "Josette!"  and the episode ends. David hasn't been seen since, although he has been mentioned in dialogue and Maggie's next appearance makes no mention of her being seen by David. What happened!?!? Did I miss something or did the writers simply pretend the incident didn't happen?

House of Dark Shadows is a theatrical retelling of the TV storyline but with its originally intended ending restored. Other than that, the characters are similar, but there’s not necessarily a one-to-one correspondence. (You may think of it as being set in the Collinsport of Earth-2.) Almost every actor in the movie played a role on the TV show at one time or another. (I set this up to dub, went to the grocery store, then turned it off when I got home, so the details aren’t fresh in my mind.) The first movie must have made money, though, because there was a second one, Night of Dark Shadows, which essentially starred the few DS actors which weren’t featured in the first (mainly David Selby as Quentin, Kate Jackson and (I think) Grayson Hall). I buy the scientific cure because, to my way of thinking, Barnabas was never a “real” vampire (at least on TV) in the first place, having been turned by a curse rather than sired by another vampire. In any case, that plotline was used in the original TV show, the movie, and the 1990 revival series as well.

Regarding the bloopers, I kind of like, “Tonight must go… nothing wrong!”

I’m still watching the Phoenix storyline, doc, but I’ll keep your question in mind for when I get to episode #240.

Barnabas Joke of the Day: Actually, Barnabas is a very kind person. He’ll always lend you a Hell-ping hand.

Actually, no, Grayson Hall was in the House, as it were.

I watched the rest of Police Squad!, and Maggie Evans seems to have been the only denizen of Collinsport to have met Frank Drebin.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service