Available July 1, Monthly Anthology Titles Combine All-New Stories by Top DC Writers with Classic Tales from DC’s Deep History

Original Stories Featuring Jimmy Palmiotti, Amanda Conner, Dan Jurgens and Tim Seeley

12-Part Superman Story by Tom King and 12-Part Batman Story by Brian Michael Bendis to Follow in September

(June 22, 2018 – Burbank, CA, and Bentonville, AR) – This summer, Walmart shoppers will receive a personal invitation to discover the lore behind their favorite DC experiences as DC Entertainment announced today that a series of “giant” monthly comics will be sold exclusively in more than 3,000 participating Walmart stores around the country.

Available for $4.99, each 100-page anthology features all-new stories written exclusively for these books by some of DC’s top creative talents, including Tom King (BATMAN, MISTER MIRACLE, HEROES IN CRISIS), Dan Jurgens (ACTION COMICS, BATMAN BEYOND), Brian Michael Bendis (SUPERMAN, ACTION COMICS, THE MAN OF STEEL), Andy Kubert (NEW CHALLENGERS) and others. Each title will also include additional story arcs drawn from fan-favorite DC eras such as the New 52, Rebirth and the New Age of DC Heroes.

Each of the four titles – SUPERMAN GIANT, JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA GIANT, BATMAN GIANT and TEEN TITANS GIANT – will arrive in stores by July 1. Beginning in August, the Superman and Justice League of America titles will arrive in week one of each month, with the second pair, Batman and Teen Titans, arriving approximately two weeks later.

“We are extraordinarily excited about working with Walmart to expand the reach of our books,” said DC Publisher Dan DiDio.  “These new monthly books combine new and accessible stories with reprints of classic comic series. It’s a great way for new readers to get into comics and follow the characters they’ve grown to love in TV and film.”

The debut title lineup includes:

SUPERMAN GIANT #1

SUPERMAN GIANT #1 features chapter one of the two-part “Endurance,” an original story written by Jimmy Palmiotti (HARLEY QUINN, ACTION COMICS) with art by Tom Derenick (HARLEY QUINN, CYBORG, BATMAN/SUPERMAN). The Daily Planet sends Clark Kent to Tornado Alley to do a story on the area, but when the storm hits, it turns out that this mild-mannered reporter is more helpful as Superman.

The issue also includes:

THE TERRIFICS #1­ (2018) – From this year’s New Age of Heroes and born of the events of DC’s hit series DARK NIGHTS: METAL. Mr. Terrific, Metamorpho, Plastic Man and Phantom Girl are a team of heroes bound together by fate and united by the spirit of exploration and discovery. Together these heroes plumb the depths of the fantastic to learn what it means to become family.

GREEN LANTERN #1 (2005) – Written by best-selling writer Geoff Johns with art by Ethan Van Sciver and Carlos Pacheco, this first chapter launches the fan-favorite three-part story “No Fear,” in which Hal Jordan makes his return to the DC Universe as the Green Lantern, casting the light of justice on the darkest corners of Space Sector 2814.

SUPERMAN/BATMAN #1 (2003) – The iconic fan-favorite story arc, “Public Enemies,” returns, courtesy of writer Jeph Loeb, with artists Ed McGuinness and Tim Sale. Batman and Superman unite when President Lex Luthor accuses the Man of Steel of a crime against humanity and assembles a top-secret team of powerhouse heroes to bring Superman in by any means necessary.

September’s SUPERMAN GIANT #3 features Eisner Award-winning writer Tom King’s first return to the Man of Steel since his poignant and heartfelt tribute story, “For Tomorrow,” in the pages of ACTION COMICS #1000. Together with DC Master Class artist Andy Kubert, this powerhouse team will take readers on a new 12-part adventure titled “Up in the Sky!” When a little girl is kidnapped and taken from Earth, Superman embarks on a galaxy-spanning mission to find the perpetrators…but has to decide what lengths he will go to in order to save one life!

TEEN TITANS GIANT #1

In this original six-part Teen Titans story by Dan Jurgens with art by Scot Eaton, Wayne Faucher and Jim Charalampidis, the Teen Titans’ pizza dinner is interrupted by the introduction of a new villain, the Disruptor. Teaming up with the Fearsome Five and working as an agent of H.I.V.E., he had one mission: kill the Teen Titans! The battle spills onto the streets of San Francisco, putting its citizens at risk, while H.I.V.E. uses this distraction to begin their plan for world conquest!

Additional issue #1 stories include:

SUPER SONS #1 (2017) – From DC’s smash-hit Rebirth event, writer Peter J. Tomasi and artist Jorge Jimenez reintroduce the sons of Superman and Batman, Jonathan Kent and Damian Wayne, in part one of “When I Grow Up.” As Robin, Damian’s more than ready to take his place at the heroes’ table and has zero plans to wait his turn. And he’s dragging Superman’s son along for the trip, whether Jon likes it or not!

SIDEWAYS #1 (2018) – Also from the New Age of Heroes, this story written by Dan DiDio with art by Kenneth Rocafort introduces fans to high schooler Derek James who, during the events of DARK NIGHTS: METAL, has acquired powers from the Dark Multiverse and stepped into the role of superhero! But when cracks begin to appear in the space-time continuum, he soon learns that with that much power comes even greater liability!

TEEN TITANS #1 (2003) – Written by best-selling author Geoff Johns with art by Mike McKone. Cyborg, Raven, Starfire and Beast Boy welcome in a new roster of young heroes to train to defend humanity—Wonder Girl, Impulse and a Superboy who’s been cloned from Superman’s DNA!

BATMAN GIANT #1

Batman is on the case of a missing girl in “One More Chance,” an all-new story by writer Jimmy Palmiotti and artist Patrick “Patch” Zircher. Batman is the world’s greatest detective, but what happens when the trail in his newest case leads him back to a place from his past that he never expected to revisit?

BATMAN GIANT #1 also includes:

BATMAN #608 (2002) – Written by Jeph Loeb with art by comics icon Jim Lee, issue #608 kicks off “Batman: Hush,” one of the most popular storylines in the Dark Knight’s fabled history. When Batman sets out to unmask the mystery character wreaking havoc in his life, he teams up with an unexpected ally (Catwoman) and finds himself facing off against not only his deadliest foes, but some of the toughest characters in the DC Universe, including Poison Ivy, Killer Croc and even Superman!

NIGHTWING #1 (2011) – From DC’s New 52, this story by writer Kyle Higgins and artist Eddy Barrows debuted a new look for Dick Grayson as he dives into a tale of murder, mystery and superhuman evil against the backdrop of Haley’s Circus, the place that started him on his path from acrobat to orphan to sidekick and ultimately superhero!

HARLEY QUINN #1 (2011) – Also from the New 52, writer Jimmy Palmiotti and artist Amanda Conner break Harley Quinn out of The Joker’s shadow with all the force of a giant mallet!

Beginning with BATMAN GIANT #3 in September, superstar writer Brian Michael Bendis makes his DC debut on the Dark Knight with a 12-part story, “Universe.” Batman’s run-in with the Riddler leads the Caped Crusader into a mystery that spans the globe!

JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA GIANT #1

Justice League member Wonder Woman is spotlighted in “The Conversion,” an all-new story from NIGHTWING writer Tim Seeley and artists Rick Leonardi and Steve Buccellato. In this single-issue story, Wonder Woman comes face to face with Ares, god of war—who sees her as a promising new recruit!

JUSTICE LEAGUE GIANT #1 also includes:

JUSTICE LEAGUE #1 (2011) – From the incomparable team of writer Geoff Johns and artist Jim Lee comes this version of the League from the New 52. In this alternative spin on the union of Superman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, the Flash, Aquaman and Cyborg, superheroes are a strange and new phenomenon. The mysterious Batman discovers a dark evil that requires him to unite these reluctant heroes to protect Earth from a cosmic-level threat!

THE FLASH #1 (2011) – In this New 52 version of the Fastest Man Alive, writer Brian Buccellato and artist Francis Manapul introduce Barry Allen to a villain who not only can be everywhere at once, but is also a close friend of the Scarlet Speedster!

AQUAMAN #1 (2011) – Award-winning writer Geoff Johns and dynamic artist Ivan Reis team up on this story from the New 52! Aquaman has given up the throne of Atlantis, but the sea still has plans for Arthur Curry as a broken race of undersea creatures, the Trench, emerges from the ocean depths, bent on destroying the surface world!

In issue #2, Seeley teams up with artists Felipe Watanabe and Chris Sotomayor on “Mother’s Day,” a stand-alone story where Wonder Woman returns to Paradise Island for the first time since her exile, only to find that the Amazons – and Queen Hippolyta – have been abducted by Echidna, the mythological Mother of Monsters, with a brood of unstoppable beasts as children!

Issue #3 begins another original 12-part Wonder Woman story by HARLEY QUINN co-writers Amanda Conner and Jimmy Palmiotti called “Come Back to Me.” When Steve Trevor’s plane crashes on an island outside of time itself, it’s up to Wonder Woman to rescue him from this mysterious land, full of monsters, dinosaurs and some very surprising citizens.

Views: 5372

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Rob, et al.:

I keep an eye out for sales every day I check the Kindle ad Amazon sends me, but there hasn't been much lately. Just a few sporadic deals here and there.

Last fall I got the second Epic collection of Shangi-Chi, Master of Kung Fu (reprinting issues 29-53 plus the first annual) for $5.99.

I did recently pick up the original Justice League of America issues 114, 115, & 116 (all 100 page giants) for 99 cents each when they're normally $1.99. But that was just an unannounced one day wonder.

Unfortunately there hasn't been a major sale for either company since the first issues of the current Lois Lane and Jimmy Olsen limiteds were released.

And a lot of material outside the conditions I listed in my previous post are not even available on Kindle to begin with unless you're talking trades, graphic novels, or anything published since 2010.

Good morning everyone,,

I stopped into Wally World this morning and their Book "contractor" was stocking the book area. I asked him if he was going to be stocking the new Allegiance comic titles,, He had no idea what I was talking about and said we do not stock comic books.. I told him about the article about the new company and their books would be held in an end cap rack in the book area and be taken care of by their Book contractor,, He had a box that he had not opened yet that looked like an end cap rack,, and sure enough when we looked at it it had an Allegiance label on it,, Opened it, and it was the rack already loaded with the four new titles,, He had no idea what he was going to do with it, I showed him where the DC's were located in the collectables aisle by the registers,, He said he would need to talk with his store contact to see where they wanted them,, I got copies of all four titles and had no problem checking out so they are in the Walmart system,, One thing I don't like is they have a Walmart $4.98 price sticker on the cover,, Don't know why as the bar code on the back worked fine,,

Just glancing through them they look very well done from a presentation side,, Don't know about the stories yet,,

Greg

I might stop in to Walmart tomorrow, as I'm planning on doing some shopping this week. I haven't seen any price stickers on any books yet. I'm getting antsy about this month's books (Superman, Aquaman, Our Fighting Forces, Titans), as next month's will ship either this weekend or the next. (Assuming the schedule stays the same.)

Digitally, there was just an unannounced Brave & Bold sale on Comixology last week, where most of the run of that book was 99 cents apiece.

My Walmart in little old St Mary's Georgia has had all four of the DC titles for two weeks now,, I think,,, Days are kind of running together,,

Greg

Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) said:

I might stop in to Walmart tomorrow, as I'm planning on doing some shopping this week. I haven't seen any price stickers on any books yet. I'm getting antsy about this month's books (Superman, Aquaman, Our Fighting Forces, Titans), as next month's will ship either this weekend or the next. (Assuming the schedule stays the same.)

Digitally, there was just an unannounced Brave & Bold sale on Comixology last week, where most of the run of that book was 99 cents apiece.

Almost went to Walmart yesterday when I was out on my bi-weekly shopping trip, and then realized that the comics were the only things I needed from that particular store. I can wait, and get back issues down the line if need be. Covid's still pretty hot in NJ: the gov just extended the lockdown until June 5.

That said, if anyone is actually going to Walmart as part of their usual shopping routine -- please do not make a special trip for me -- and sees these books, I'll happily pay you for them, and reimburse shipping to NJ.

The ones I'm looking for are this month's -- Our Fighting Forces 1, Superman 3, Aquaman 4, Titans 2

And next month's: Flash 5, Swamp Thing 5, DC Superhero Girls/Teen Titans Go 1.

Thanks in advance -- and I repeat, please don't make a special trip for me. These comics are inconsequential in every sense, big-picture-wise. Stay home and stay safe, and only shop when you need to for you.

The August solicitations are up, and there's still no word of future Giants. I'm pretty confident DC still plans to make them; they're just not on the solicits yet. 

One thing I heard a couple week ago was that Mark Russell was writing some Harley Quinn stories for the Giants -- he seemed to indicate it was for a Harley Quinn Giant. Which may be the case... but if so, it hasn't been announced yet. (It could also be for the existing Batman Giant -- if so, it wouldn't be the first time a creator didn't know where a publisher would eventually put his work.)

The new DC Walmart Giants should be out now... including Batman Giant 5, which was never listed in Previews. But Bleeding Cool has a pictures of it. Both new stories are written by Mark Russell, with the lead drawn by Ryan Benjamin and the backup drawn by Chris Moonyham. 

Flash 5 and Swamp Thing 5 should also be there, as well as DC Superhero Girls/Teen Titans Go 1. 

Stopped into Walmart today, for the first time in months. Picked up everything that's been announced so far, with the exception of the understandably delayed Wonder Woman 1984 Giant. Batman Giant 5 was there, even though it was never listed in Previews. I wonder when we'll see more listings in Previews for these books; the most recent bunch didn't have it, and neither did DC's own new catalog. 

I don't have many details on the books yet; I'm just letting them sit in the car without being touched by other people for a day or two. Then I'll dig in. 

One thing I did notice, though -- basically the first thing I flipped to, since it was an open question -- was in Superman Giant 3, after the one-shot of "The Boy Who Stole Superman's Cape" is a coming-attractions blurb for "The Ghost In the Fortress of Solitude" -- another Grant Morrison New 52 story, from the next issue of Action Comics, #13. Both of these are pretty much one-shots. But at the same time, it's easy enough to follow the Morrison run to its conclusion. We'll see.

Then again, Superman Giant 2 blurbed a story that didn't appear in Superman Giant 3. So it's anybody's guess!

It's about time for a new edition of the DC Giants Reprint Clock:

Here’s where the current reprint storylines end, and when a new feature (or new story) may take over.

Superman Giant (at 3):
Superman: Issue 3 has a done-in-one story. It's unknown what issue 4 will bring, but the story from Action Comics 13 is blurbed at the end (as it was on the original issue).
Action Comics: 2 more issues of the Johns/Frank Brainiac story. Immediately afterward, the title goes into the sprawling New Krypton crossover, which I think the Giant will avoid.
Supergirl: There’s 1 more issue of the Bizarro Supergirl storyline, and then 2 more issues of the Gates/Igle run after that. (There’s also some issues from before the Bizarro story, as well, but I doubt they’ll backtrack.)

Flash Giant (at 5):
Flash (New 52): With Giant issue 5, we’re at issue 17 of the Manapul/Bucellato New 52 run. Manapul stays on till issue 25 (with some fill-ins), and I think this run will continue till then. Not sure if it’ll do the special villain-centric issues the New 52 did in its second year, especially since it’d eat up three issues.
Green Arrow: Benjamin Percy’s time as Green Arrow writer lasted for 38 issues. We’ve probably got a long time before a change here, but the current storyline ends next issue (issue 6 of the Giant, but issue 5 of the Green Arrow series because of the Rebirth issue).
Blue Beetle: The initial storyline (begun by Keith Giffen, John Rogers, and Cully Hamner) lasts through issue 25, and the title continues through issue 36 under new writers. Still plenty to go.

Aquaman Giant (at 4):
Throne of Atlantis: We’re 4 issues in to a 7-part crossover storyline. I expect this feature to continue with the Aquaman run after that.
Mera: We’re 4 issues in to a 6-part mini. So we’ll get something new in two issues
Titans, Rise of Aqualad: We’re not likely to continue with the Titans after this 5-part storyline, since they’ll have their own Giant, starting in February. So likely something new in Aquaman 6.

Wonder Woman Giant (at 4):
Wonder Woman Year One: There’s 2 more issues of the initial year one story, but Rucka, Nicola Scott, and Bilquis Evely continue that story for another 6 issues… and then the title can go back to the odd-numbered issues of his run, with Liam Sharp.
Green Lantern, Secret Origin: There’s 3 more issues of this 7-parter. Then more GL, probably… but what?
Amethyst: Sword of Sorcery only ran to issue 8 (with a 0 issue), so there’s 5 more issues to go.

Batman Giant (at 5):
Batman: Scott Snyder’s run lasted forever, and there’s no reason to deviate from it. Even the Death of the Family crossover can probably be read on its own.
Batwoman: The initial Batwoman run in Detective Comics lasted 10 issues, from 854-863. So we’ve got 5 more, and then maybe we’ll move into the New 52 version.
Nightwing: As expected, we skipped Rise of the Monster Men (Nightwing participated for 2 issues in the crossover, in issues 5 and 6) and have gone straight to "Rise of Raptor" from Nightwing 7-8. There's probably not a reason to jump off this train for a while. (Rise of Raptor is a 2-parter, followed by a one-shot teamup with Superman, followed by a 6-part "Bludhaven" story, followed by more...)   

Swamp Thing Giant (at 5):
Swamp Thing: The Wein/ Jones miniseries ran for 6 issues. It concludes next issue We’ll need a new Swampy story in issue 7.
Hellblazer: This story, The Poison Truth, runs to issue 6. The Rebirth Hellblazer as a whole ran for 24 issues.
Zatanna: The series ran through issue 16, although writer Paul Dini left after issue 13. We’ll probably get all 16 if the Giants go that long.

Titans Giant (at 2):
Teen Titans: The 1977 Bob Rozakis/Don Heck Titans East/West teamup lasted 3 issues, from issue 50-52. Then the series wrapped up with a secret origin of the team in 53. So we're likely get two more issues and be done here, before moving on to newer (or older?) reprints.
Starfire: The Palmiotti/Conner/Luppacchino (and eventually Charretier) Starfire solo series lasted 12 issues. It's a frothy superhero sitcom, but more of a rom-com than the wackiness of Harley Quinn. (Closer in tone to the Palmiotti/Conner Power Girl). No reason not to do all 12.
Adventures of the Super-Sons: This revival series (by Peter Tomasi and Carlo Barberi, published during the Bendis era, but set before it) lasted 12 issues. It's a really fun series, if you haven't seen it. No reason not to do all 12. This one's very episodic, but also one big story.

In a nutshell: We don't know what one of the Superman reprints will be in Superman Giant 4. After that, we can start to expect changes in Aquaman 6, Titans 5, and Swamp Thing 7.

Next week, according to the DC website, is a new Digital First comic: Harley Quinn: Make 'Em Laugh.  That strikes me as another indication that a Harley Quinn Giant is coming. (Mark Russell has said on the DC All Stars podcast that he was writing Harley Quinn stories for a HQ giant.)

Assuming this is an ongoing, what reprints would you include?

I'd consider the Harley Quinn & Power Girl miniseries, maybe the recent Joelle Jones Catwoman series, and ...maybe Ambush Bug? Or maybe I'd run with Harley's original series by Kesel and the Dodsons, or some of the Batman Adventures comics that tied into the Animated series.

For those interested, all the scheduled Giants except for the Wonder Woman 1984 movie tie-in made it to my local Walmart too.

Now then, I've tried searching for the answer on my own and came up empty.

Does anyone know if DC is planning to (eventually) do more one shot Giants like Villians, Inc.; Scooby-Doo's 50th Anniversary, Christmas with the Super Heroes, etc?

I'd be most interested in seeing World's Finest, Birds of Prey and From Beyond the Unknown continue on a regular basis.

Thanks in advance if you can respond to this.

I haven't seen more one-shots solicited yet, but they seem to do one every month -- last month's was Our Fighting Forces, and this month's was DC Superhero Girls/Teen Titans Go! (At least, I'm assuming that's a one-shot for now.) Wonder Woman 84 is probably a one-shot, too. And I expect we'll see more tying in to upcoming movies and TV events, like the recent Crisis Giants. I'd be surprised if we didn't get another horror one, like Ghosts, for Halloween.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service