Available July 1, Monthly Anthology Titles Combine All-New Stories by Top DC Writers with Classic Tales from DC’s Deep History

Original Stories Featuring Jimmy Palmiotti, Amanda Conner, Dan Jurgens and Tim Seeley

12-Part Superman Story by Tom King and 12-Part Batman Story by Brian Michael Bendis to Follow in September

(June 22, 2018 – Burbank, CA, and Bentonville, AR) – This summer, Walmart shoppers will receive a personal invitation to discover the lore behind their favorite DC experiences as DC Entertainment announced today that a series of “giant” monthly comics will be sold exclusively in more than 3,000 participating Walmart stores around the country.

Available for $4.99, each 100-page anthology features all-new stories written exclusively for these books by some of DC’s top creative talents, including Tom King (BATMAN, MISTER MIRACLE, HEROES IN CRISIS), Dan Jurgens (ACTION COMICS, BATMAN BEYOND), Brian Michael Bendis (SUPERMAN, ACTION COMICS, THE MAN OF STEEL), Andy Kubert (NEW CHALLENGERS) and others. Each title will also include additional story arcs drawn from fan-favorite DC eras such as the New 52, Rebirth and the New Age of DC Heroes.

Each of the four titles – SUPERMAN GIANT, JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA GIANT, BATMAN GIANT and TEEN TITANS GIANT – will arrive in stores by July 1. Beginning in August, the Superman and Justice League of America titles will arrive in week one of each month, with the second pair, Batman and Teen Titans, arriving approximately two weeks later.

“We are extraordinarily excited about working with Walmart to expand the reach of our books,” said DC Publisher Dan DiDio.  “These new monthly books combine new and accessible stories with reprints of classic comic series. It’s a great way for new readers to get into comics and follow the characters they’ve grown to love in TV and film.”

The debut title lineup includes:

SUPERMAN GIANT #1

SUPERMAN GIANT #1 features chapter one of the two-part “Endurance,” an original story written by Jimmy Palmiotti (HARLEY QUINN, ACTION COMICS) with art by Tom Derenick (HARLEY QUINN, CYBORG, BATMAN/SUPERMAN). The Daily Planet sends Clark Kent to Tornado Alley to do a story on the area, but when the storm hits, it turns out that this mild-mannered reporter is more helpful as Superman.

The issue also includes:

THE TERRIFICS #1­ (2018) – From this year’s New Age of Heroes and born of the events of DC’s hit series DARK NIGHTS: METAL. Mr. Terrific, Metamorpho, Plastic Man and Phantom Girl are a team of heroes bound together by fate and united by the spirit of exploration and discovery. Together these heroes plumb the depths of the fantastic to learn what it means to become family.

GREEN LANTERN #1 (2005) – Written by best-selling writer Geoff Johns with art by Ethan Van Sciver and Carlos Pacheco, this first chapter launches the fan-favorite three-part story “No Fear,” in which Hal Jordan makes his return to the DC Universe as the Green Lantern, casting the light of justice on the darkest corners of Space Sector 2814.

SUPERMAN/BATMAN #1 (2003) – The iconic fan-favorite story arc, “Public Enemies,” returns, courtesy of writer Jeph Loeb, with artists Ed McGuinness and Tim Sale. Batman and Superman unite when President Lex Luthor accuses the Man of Steel of a crime against humanity and assembles a top-secret team of powerhouse heroes to bring Superman in by any means necessary.

September’s SUPERMAN GIANT #3 features Eisner Award-winning writer Tom King’s first return to the Man of Steel since his poignant and heartfelt tribute story, “For Tomorrow,” in the pages of ACTION COMICS #1000. Together with DC Master Class artist Andy Kubert, this powerhouse team will take readers on a new 12-part adventure titled “Up in the Sky!” When a little girl is kidnapped and taken from Earth, Superman embarks on a galaxy-spanning mission to find the perpetrators…but has to decide what lengths he will go to in order to save one life!

TEEN TITANS GIANT #1

In this original six-part Teen Titans story by Dan Jurgens with art by Scot Eaton, Wayne Faucher and Jim Charalampidis, the Teen Titans’ pizza dinner is interrupted by the introduction of a new villain, the Disruptor. Teaming up with the Fearsome Five and working as an agent of H.I.V.E., he had one mission: kill the Teen Titans! The battle spills onto the streets of San Francisco, putting its citizens at risk, while H.I.V.E. uses this distraction to begin their plan for world conquest!

Additional issue #1 stories include:

SUPER SONS #1 (2017) – From DC’s smash-hit Rebirth event, writer Peter J. Tomasi and artist Jorge Jimenez reintroduce the sons of Superman and Batman, Jonathan Kent and Damian Wayne, in part one of “When I Grow Up.” As Robin, Damian’s more than ready to take his place at the heroes’ table and has zero plans to wait his turn. And he’s dragging Superman’s son along for the trip, whether Jon likes it or not!

SIDEWAYS #1 (2018) – Also from the New Age of Heroes, this story written by Dan DiDio with art by Kenneth Rocafort introduces fans to high schooler Derek James who, during the events of DARK NIGHTS: METAL, has acquired powers from the Dark Multiverse and stepped into the role of superhero! But when cracks begin to appear in the space-time continuum, he soon learns that with that much power comes even greater liability!

TEEN TITANS #1 (2003) – Written by best-selling author Geoff Johns with art by Mike McKone. Cyborg, Raven, Starfire and Beast Boy welcome in a new roster of young heroes to train to defend humanity—Wonder Girl, Impulse and a Superboy who’s been cloned from Superman’s DNA!

BATMAN GIANT #1

Batman is on the case of a missing girl in “One More Chance,” an all-new story by writer Jimmy Palmiotti and artist Patrick “Patch” Zircher. Batman is the world’s greatest detective, but what happens when the trail in his newest case leads him back to a place from his past that he never expected to revisit?

BATMAN GIANT #1 also includes:

BATMAN #608 (2002) – Written by Jeph Loeb with art by comics icon Jim Lee, issue #608 kicks off “Batman: Hush,” one of the most popular storylines in the Dark Knight’s fabled history. When Batman sets out to unmask the mystery character wreaking havoc in his life, he teams up with an unexpected ally (Catwoman) and finds himself facing off against not only his deadliest foes, but some of the toughest characters in the DC Universe, including Poison Ivy, Killer Croc and even Superman!

NIGHTWING #1 (2011) – From DC’s New 52, this story by writer Kyle Higgins and artist Eddy Barrows debuted a new look for Dick Grayson as he dives into a tale of murder, mystery and superhuman evil against the backdrop of Haley’s Circus, the place that started him on his path from acrobat to orphan to sidekick and ultimately superhero!

HARLEY QUINN #1 (2011) – Also from the New 52, writer Jimmy Palmiotti and artist Amanda Conner break Harley Quinn out of The Joker’s shadow with all the force of a giant mallet!

Beginning with BATMAN GIANT #3 in September, superstar writer Brian Michael Bendis makes his DC debut on the Dark Knight with a 12-part story, “Universe.” Batman’s run-in with the Riddler leads the Caped Crusader into a mystery that spans the globe!

JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA GIANT #1

Justice League member Wonder Woman is spotlighted in “The Conversion,” an all-new story from NIGHTWING writer Tim Seeley and artists Rick Leonardi and Steve Buccellato. In this single-issue story, Wonder Woman comes face to face with Ares, god of war—who sees her as a promising new recruit!

JUSTICE LEAGUE GIANT #1 also includes:

JUSTICE LEAGUE #1 (2011) – From the incomparable team of writer Geoff Johns and artist Jim Lee comes this version of the League from the New 52. In this alternative spin on the union of Superman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, the Flash, Aquaman and Cyborg, superheroes are a strange and new phenomenon. The mysterious Batman discovers a dark evil that requires him to unite these reluctant heroes to protect Earth from a cosmic-level threat!

THE FLASH #1 (2011) – In this New 52 version of the Fastest Man Alive, writer Brian Buccellato and artist Francis Manapul introduce Barry Allen to a villain who not only can be everywhere at once, but is also a close friend of the Scarlet Speedster!

AQUAMAN #1 (2011) – Award-winning writer Geoff Johns and dynamic artist Ivan Reis team up on this story from the New 52! Aquaman has given up the throne of Atlantis, but the sea still has plans for Arthur Curry as a broken race of undersea creatures, the Trench, emerges from the ocean depths, bent on destroying the surface world!

In issue #2, Seeley teams up with artists Felipe Watanabe and Chris Sotomayor on “Mother’s Day,” a stand-alone story where Wonder Woman returns to Paradise Island for the first time since her exile, only to find that the Amazons – and Queen Hippolyta – have been abducted by Echidna, the mythological Mother of Monsters, with a brood of unstoppable beasts as children!

Issue #3 begins another original 12-part Wonder Woman story by HARLEY QUINN co-writers Amanda Conner and Jimmy Palmiotti called “Come Back to Me.” When Steve Trevor’s plane crashes on an island outside of time itself, it’s up to Wonder Woman to rescue him from this mysterious land, full of monsters, dinosaurs and some very surprising citizens.

Views: 5374

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There hasn't been anything definite said. Didio just mentioned "exploring going deeper into the catalog" in the Giants in a new year's message to retailers earlier this month. But unless it's in the one-off specials, the reprint clock I just posted doesn't leave much room for it for a while. Superman Giant could give us an older story with issue 3, after Escape from Dinosaur Island concludes. But better bets are the From Beyond the Unknown and the just-announced Our Fighting Forces Giants.

And yeah, as for money, it's a lot of dough. I'm getting a lot of enjoyment out of them, though, and for the most part, 8-10 bimonthlies are actually less money than 6 monthlies. But it's better to rip the Band-Aid off before the increase the frequency again. (I honestly can't believe that Batman is bimonthly, even if all the rest are.)  

Lee Houston, Junior said:

But when/if is DC supposed to start expanding reprint access to more than just the occasional story from the 1970s?

Good news! While they didn't appear in DC's solicitations, April's Giants have shown up on the Previews website. So the upcoming schedule can be extended:

Feb 5: Batman 3
Feb 12: Flash 3
Feb 19: Wonder Woman 3
Feb 26: Swamp Thing 3, Crisis 2

March 4: Superman 2
March 11: Aquaman 3
March 18: Titans 1
March 25: From Beyond the Unknown 1

April 1: Batman 4
April 8: Flash 4
April 15: Wonder Woman 4
April 22: Swamp Thing 4
April 29: Our Fighting Forces 1

So I was right... it looks like the DC War Giant (under another name) is coming out to be on the stands for Memorial Day! I get to feel smart for once!

Saw an early look at the From Beyond the Unknown comic, in Walmart next month, and in comic shops in March. It's science fiction oriented... and one of the new stories is a classic-style Legion tale!

Other featured characters are Green Lantern, Kamandi, and Adam Strange -- a Superman teamup from DC Comics Presents #3, judging by the cover! And hey -- that's a story that's not only pre-Flashpoint, its pre-CRISIS, first appearing in August, 1978!

Anyway, here's the photo I saw. I wish I could see the bottom corner of the cover to find out what the other new story is!

Now THAT'S what I'm talking about!

DC has a rich history of science fiction story telling including From Beyond the Unknown, along with Mystery In Space and (Adam) Strange Adventures.

While I know there have been elements in other titles, most notably the various Green Lantern series and the recent return of the Legion, it's great to see such an anthology again and I fully support any effort to attempt reviving the genre on a more regular basis!

A hardcover collection of the new material (plus a lot of extras) from Crisis on Infinite Earths Giant #1-2 has been solicited for May release.

Here's the cover and the details on Superman Giant #2, due in Walmart mid February and in comic shops March 4. 

o "Against the Odds," a 24-page story written by Robert Vendittil with art by Paul Pelletier and Andrew Hennessy

Someone is running bets on Superman's exploits throughout Metropolis and putting ordinary citizens in harm's way. Can Superman locate this villainous gambler in time-or will the house take all?

o New cover by Rafa Sandoval and Jordi Tarragona

Plus, these reprint tales:

o "Fakeouts," from Supergirl #55 (2008)
o "Brainiac part two," from Action Comics #867 (2010)
o "Escape from Dinosaur Island," from Superman #9 (2016)

The big question is... after the conclusion of the Dinosaur Island story, will Superman Giant 3 reprint Superman 10 from the Rebirth era, or move on to a different story? (They could also go to the follow-up story with Captain Storm from 2018's Superman Special #1.)

Here's the cover of the new Aquaman Giant 3, up at Previewsworld. There's no story details up yet, so all we know is there's a new Aquaman story blurbed "Screaming Sea," and we're not sure what the other new story is. The reprints will be the third chapters of Throne of Atlantis, Rise of Aqualad, and the Mera miniseries. 

I'll post creative team details & more when I see it. 

Next week's preview will be Titans Giant 1 -- which begs the questions...what do we think will go in it? There's a second Super Sons series that could be reprinted, and they could continue with the Johns/McKone run of Teen Titans... but also, maybe the Raven miniseries? Or the Palmiotti/Conner/Charretier Luppacino Starfire series from midway through the New 52 would be a good choice, as it was lighthearted and fun, and a major course correction for that character. 

Sorry not to get here earlier with this, but Crisis 2 has been in my local Walmart since February 7.

Glad to hear it! It showed up  at mine, too, a while back. 

We're inching toward new Walmart day again, actually. I think it's this weekend!

OK, the new stories in the Aquaman Giant are by Steve Orlando and artists V Ken Marion and Sandu Florea for the lead 16-page feature, called "Tempest." Then there's an 8-page Aquaman/Mera teamup by Tom Taylor and Pop Mhan, in which the couple faces off against Luthor. 

In the next couple days, we should have some info about the Titans Giant -- it's a first issue, so who knows what it'll reprint! We don't even know yet whether it's a one-shot or a regular bi-monthly book. 

We've got a Titans cover! 

No interior details yet. But from the cover, it looks like we have a new Raven story, and I suspect the "No Escape for Beast Boy story is new too, since the Previews covers are new, and usually feature the new lead story. (Also, that's an odd cast, considering it has Nightwing, Red Hood, Donna Troy, Beast Boy, Starfire, and Raven. That strikes me as a pretty unusual combo.)

In the circles, we get a reference to Key West and Hurricane Starfire, so that looks like the next-wave DCU series, which was set in Key West and I think featured a hurricane at the end of issue 1. We also see both Damian Wayne and Superboy (albeit separately), so we might get more Super-Sons. And as for the third, probably a Titans team story, but from what era, who knows? We'll find out soon enough!

Also, the Starfire story is continued, so this probably won't be a one-shot. 

And Bleeding Cool has the answers as to what's being published!

There's "History Lessons," a 16-page story written by Phil Hester with art by Scott Koblish with Tom Grummett, and also “Normal,’ an 8-page story written by Marc Guggenheim with art by Steve Pugh.

And then the reprints!

• “The Coast-to-Coast Calamities,” from Teen Titans #50 (1977)
  • “Everything to Everyone,” from Starfire #1 (2015)
  • “Action Detectives Part One,” from Adventures of the Super Sons #1 (2018)

So my guesses were correct... but then we get the bonus of a reprint story from way back in 1977! Looks like Didio wasn't kdding about reaching deeper into the catalog! That's a 3-parter, if I remember correctly, toward the end of the Titans 70s revival... the book only lasted to issue 53, and the final issue was a revamped origin for the team. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service