Available July 1, Monthly Anthology Titles Combine All-New Stories by Top DC Writers with Classic Tales from DC’s Deep History

Original Stories Featuring Jimmy Palmiotti, Amanda Conner, Dan Jurgens and Tim Seeley

12-Part Superman Story by Tom King and 12-Part Batman Story by Brian Michael Bendis to Follow in September

(June 22, 2018 – Burbank, CA, and Bentonville, AR) – This summer, Walmart shoppers will receive a personal invitation to discover the lore behind their favorite DC experiences as DC Entertainment announced today that a series of “giant” monthly comics will be sold exclusively in more than 3,000 participating Walmart stores around the country.

Available for $4.99, each 100-page anthology features all-new stories written exclusively for these books by some of DC’s top creative talents, including Tom King (BATMAN, MISTER MIRACLE, HEROES IN CRISIS), Dan Jurgens (ACTION COMICS, BATMAN BEYOND), Brian Michael Bendis (SUPERMAN, ACTION COMICS, THE MAN OF STEEL), Andy Kubert (NEW CHALLENGERS) and others. Each title will also include additional story arcs drawn from fan-favorite DC eras such as the New 52, Rebirth and the New Age of DC Heroes.

Each of the four titles – SUPERMAN GIANT, JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA GIANT, BATMAN GIANT and TEEN TITANS GIANT – will arrive in stores by July 1. Beginning in August, the Superman and Justice League of America titles will arrive in week one of each month, with the second pair, Batman and Teen Titans, arriving approximately two weeks later.

“We are extraordinarily excited about working with Walmart to expand the reach of our books,” said DC Publisher Dan DiDio.  “These new monthly books combine new and accessible stories with reprints of classic comic series. It’s a great way for new readers to get into comics and follow the characters they’ve grown to love in TV and film.”

The debut title lineup includes:

SUPERMAN GIANT #1

SUPERMAN GIANT #1 features chapter one of the two-part “Endurance,” an original story written by Jimmy Palmiotti (HARLEY QUINN, ACTION COMICS) with art by Tom Derenick (HARLEY QUINN, CYBORG, BATMAN/SUPERMAN). The Daily Planet sends Clark Kent to Tornado Alley to do a story on the area, but when the storm hits, it turns out that this mild-mannered reporter is more helpful as Superman.

The issue also includes:

THE TERRIFICS #1­ (2018) – From this year’s New Age of Heroes and born of the events of DC’s hit series DARK NIGHTS: METAL. Mr. Terrific, Metamorpho, Plastic Man and Phantom Girl are a team of heroes bound together by fate and united by the spirit of exploration and discovery. Together these heroes plumb the depths of the fantastic to learn what it means to become family.

GREEN LANTERN #1 (2005) – Written by best-selling writer Geoff Johns with art by Ethan Van Sciver and Carlos Pacheco, this first chapter launches the fan-favorite three-part story “No Fear,” in which Hal Jordan makes his return to the DC Universe as the Green Lantern, casting the light of justice on the darkest corners of Space Sector 2814.

SUPERMAN/BATMAN #1 (2003) – The iconic fan-favorite story arc, “Public Enemies,” returns, courtesy of writer Jeph Loeb, with artists Ed McGuinness and Tim Sale. Batman and Superman unite when President Lex Luthor accuses the Man of Steel of a crime against humanity and assembles a top-secret team of powerhouse heroes to bring Superman in by any means necessary.

September’s SUPERMAN GIANT #3 features Eisner Award-winning writer Tom King’s first return to the Man of Steel since his poignant and heartfelt tribute story, “For Tomorrow,” in the pages of ACTION COMICS #1000. Together with DC Master Class artist Andy Kubert, this powerhouse team will take readers on a new 12-part adventure titled “Up in the Sky!” When a little girl is kidnapped and taken from Earth, Superman embarks on a galaxy-spanning mission to find the perpetrators…but has to decide what lengths he will go to in order to save one life!

TEEN TITANS GIANT #1

In this original six-part Teen Titans story by Dan Jurgens with art by Scot Eaton, Wayne Faucher and Jim Charalampidis, the Teen Titans’ pizza dinner is interrupted by the introduction of a new villain, the Disruptor. Teaming up with the Fearsome Five and working as an agent of H.I.V.E., he had one mission: kill the Teen Titans! The battle spills onto the streets of San Francisco, putting its citizens at risk, while H.I.V.E. uses this distraction to begin their plan for world conquest!

Additional issue #1 stories include:

SUPER SONS #1 (2017) – From DC’s smash-hit Rebirth event, writer Peter J. Tomasi and artist Jorge Jimenez reintroduce the sons of Superman and Batman, Jonathan Kent and Damian Wayne, in part one of “When I Grow Up.” As Robin, Damian’s more than ready to take his place at the heroes’ table and has zero plans to wait his turn. And he’s dragging Superman’s son along for the trip, whether Jon likes it or not!

SIDEWAYS #1 (2018) – Also from the New Age of Heroes, this story written by Dan DiDio with art by Kenneth Rocafort introduces fans to high schooler Derek James who, during the events of DARK NIGHTS: METAL, has acquired powers from the Dark Multiverse and stepped into the role of superhero! But when cracks begin to appear in the space-time continuum, he soon learns that with that much power comes even greater liability!

TEEN TITANS #1 (2003) – Written by best-selling author Geoff Johns with art by Mike McKone. Cyborg, Raven, Starfire and Beast Boy welcome in a new roster of young heroes to train to defend humanity—Wonder Girl, Impulse and a Superboy who’s been cloned from Superman’s DNA!

BATMAN GIANT #1

Batman is on the case of a missing girl in “One More Chance,” an all-new story by writer Jimmy Palmiotti and artist Patrick “Patch” Zircher. Batman is the world’s greatest detective, but what happens when the trail in his newest case leads him back to a place from his past that he never expected to revisit?

BATMAN GIANT #1 also includes:

BATMAN #608 (2002) – Written by Jeph Loeb with art by comics icon Jim Lee, issue #608 kicks off “Batman: Hush,” one of the most popular storylines in the Dark Knight’s fabled history. When Batman sets out to unmask the mystery character wreaking havoc in his life, he teams up with an unexpected ally (Catwoman) and finds himself facing off against not only his deadliest foes, but some of the toughest characters in the DC Universe, including Poison Ivy, Killer Croc and even Superman!

NIGHTWING #1 (2011) – From DC’s New 52, this story by writer Kyle Higgins and artist Eddy Barrows debuted a new look for Dick Grayson as he dives into a tale of murder, mystery and superhuman evil against the backdrop of Haley’s Circus, the place that started him on his path from acrobat to orphan to sidekick and ultimately superhero!

HARLEY QUINN #1 (2011) – Also from the New 52, writer Jimmy Palmiotti and artist Amanda Conner break Harley Quinn out of The Joker’s shadow with all the force of a giant mallet!

Beginning with BATMAN GIANT #3 in September, superstar writer Brian Michael Bendis makes his DC debut on the Dark Knight with a 12-part story, “Universe.” Batman’s run-in with the Riddler leads the Caped Crusader into a mystery that spans the globe!

JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA GIANT #1

Justice League member Wonder Woman is spotlighted in “The Conversion,” an all-new story from NIGHTWING writer Tim Seeley and artists Rick Leonardi and Steve Buccellato. In this single-issue story, Wonder Woman comes face to face with Ares, god of war—who sees her as a promising new recruit!

JUSTICE LEAGUE GIANT #1 also includes:

JUSTICE LEAGUE #1 (2011) – From the incomparable team of writer Geoff Johns and artist Jim Lee comes this version of the League from the New 52. In this alternative spin on the union of Superman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, the Flash, Aquaman and Cyborg, superheroes are a strange and new phenomenon. The mysterious Batman discovers a dark evil that requires him to unite these reluctant heroes to protect Earth from a cosmic-level threat!

THE FLASH #1 (2011) – In this New 52 version of the Fastest Man Alive, writer Brian Buccellato and artist Francis Manapul introduce Barry Allen to a villain who not only can be everywhere at once, but is also a close friend of the Scarlet Speedster!

AQUAMAN #1 (2011) – Award-winning writer Geoff Johns and dynamic artist Ivan Reis team up on this story from the New 52! Aquaman has given up the throne of Atlantis, but the sea still has plans for Arthur Curry as a broken race of undersea creatures, the Trench, emerges from the ocean depths, bent on destroying the surface world!

In issue #2, Seeley teams up with artists Felipe Watanabe and Chris Sotomayor on “Mother’s Day,” a stand-alone story where Wonder Woman returns to Paradise Island for the first time since her exile, only to find that the Amazons – and Queen Hippolyta – have been abducted by Echidna, the mythological Mother of Monsters, with a brood of unstoppable beasts as children!

Issue #3 begins another original 12-part Wonder Woman story by HARLEY QUINN co-writers Amanda Conner and Jimmy Palmiotti called “Come Back to Me.” When Steve Trevor’s plane crashes on an island outside of time itself, it’s up to Wonder Woman to rescue him from this mysterious land, full of monsters, dinosaurs and some very surprising citizens.

Views: 2877

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Dan Didio spoke about the Walmart books -- although that will soon be a misnomer -- in this wide-ranging interview with ICv2:

Anything new on the Walmart front?
Didio
:  So far, it's going well. We're continuing the program into September.  The books are starting to come into the direct market, too.  We actually have a couple of chains that we're looking to get in there as well.  We're starting to expand the program.  It was great to start with Walmart as a focal point, but right now, we're trying to expand the line so that these books capture a lot of the excitement that we are seeing in the media.  Anything that has a show or anything that's going on in the media right now, we're trying to build those types of books.  They go out into the mass market so that somebody more casually aware of our characters finds something to read and hopefully gets exposed to our worlds.

...What would " DC GHOSTS " be? DC characters who are either Earthly dead of Spectre/Deadman-style ghostly characters? That was my 2nd thought ' that 70s/80s Murray Boltinoff-edited " True Stories Of Ghosts! " title was my first thought. but that seems unlikely.

I don't know -- I think DC Ghosts might feature the Spectre or something, but it might just be a a new/reprint horror anthology to see if it will fly. There are enough pages that it's easy to mix-and-match: stories from House of Mystery or Ghosts side-by-side with a new Phantom Stranger story and a reprint of the Ostrander/Mandrake Spectre series. It could be anything at this point... though DC has said they're looking at media tie-ins with this line, so...did DC ever publish Supernatural comics?

DC Villains Giant is another book that could be anything. Given the media tie-in goals, I think Ra's Al-Ghul would be an interesting choice to feature -- but there are so many from the CW shows alone. Reverse Flash? Malcolm Merlin? Vandal Savage? Lex Luthor? And then when you consider the movies, there's Black Manta, Ares, Zod, the Suicide Squad, etc. If the Squad isn't in the new material, I'd *definitely* draw upon it for a reprint. 

Oh, heck: Let's do a casting call for reprints in these new Giants. I think there'll just be space for two full length reprints this time. What should they be? Here are my off-the-cuff suggestions:

SCOOBY-DOO 50TH ANNIVERSARY GIANT #1

Scooby-Doo Team-Up

Sugar & Spike (the  older, detective versions)

THE FLASH GIANT #1

Flash (continuing New 52 run from previous volume)

Green Arrow (Rebirth)

BATMAN GIANT #1

Nightwing (continuing New 52 run)

Black Lightning (Year One)

DC VILLAINS GIANT #1

Suicide Squad (Rebirth)

Secret Six (Gail Simone series, post Infinite Crisis)

WONDER WOMAN GIANT #1

Wonder Woman (Gail Simone run)

Birds of Prey (more Gail Simone)

SWAMP THING GIANT #1
Swamp Thing/Animal Man (alternating, in a crossover)

Frankenstein (New 52)

AQUAMAN GIANT #1

Aquaman (New 52)

Justice League (New 52, continued from Wonder Woman Giant)

DC GHOSTS GIANT #1

Spectre (Ostrander/Mandrake)

Best of House of Mystery/Secrets/Ghosts

TEEN TITANS GO! GIANT #1

Teen Titans (continued from Titans Giant)

Super-Sons (continued from Titans Giant)

DC SUPER HERO GIRLS GIANT #1

Supergirl (Sterling Gates/Jamal Igle run)

Batgirl (DC You run)

Okay -- I'm a little Gail Simone heavy here... and so far there's no home for Green Lantern, Superman, the Terrifics, Shazam, Shadowpact*, and more.  but this is my  first swing  at this. Can't wait to find out more!

*Also, it seems like Swamp Thing Giant 7 is going to leave Shadowpact with a cliffhanger between 7 & 8. That might or might not be something DC addresses.

My guess is that Gail Simone & Clayton Henry will be continuing with their run of new Flash stories. Henry posted a flash pic from his drawing board on Twitter on Aug. 8 -- pretty late for an issue that should arrive in stores in the next week or so. So I'm guessing he's still on the new Flash 100-Page Giant #1. I asked him on Twitter to be sure, but that's my guess.

...Do they have in fact be

en in Target for a while I thought they were just coming to the big T. We don't have As I-Mart in this neck of the woods - I saw and bought some about a year ago, when I was in an area that did. I was under the impression that this , stocked by outside people , thing that BVerote about wad for both Wal-Mart and Target. noe re-reading it I see it was just the big E

I think at that time in this line O reported (I haven't time to re-check) seeing some pre-pcks of standard format FV comics sold partly on a " the one in the middle is a surprise! ", concept. Did I mention seeing any Marvels at all. I went to my local Target for something else today and asked about the DCs, the employee I spoke to had never heard of 'em.

All the 14s (Superman and Batman) and 7s (the rest) of the current Walmart line up are out and each brags about the NEW next issue of the title, "Coming Soon".

No indication of what will be where, just to keep an eye out for their release, which I assume will be after Labor Day at the earliest.

I think I heard that the first of them will arrive in Walmart at the usual time of the month, and then will start to appear in comics shops after that. So Walmart will get them first, using cover art repurposed from earlier publications -- then comic shops will get them, with all new cover art.

I just glanced at the ones I got last week, but it looks like Superman will have an issue 15 -- probably to accommodate the remaining Tom King Superman chapters. 

Also, it seems as if Gail Simone and Clayton Henry *will* be continuing their Flash run in the new Giants.

There's still no real info on the upcoming relaunch of the giants... aside from the page counts of the new material (usually 24 to 32 pages each). Those page counts make me think there'll be two new 12-page stories in each book, rather than one longer story (with variations for higher page counts, of course). 

So...with the lead feature being the title feature, who would you add to the mix? This seems like a perfect opportunity to feature characters that might not be supporting their own titles, the way the dollar comics versions World's Finest and Adventure used to (not to mention the many DC backups). 

The first one that comes to mind would be backing up the Flash Giant with a new Firestorm story. I think with the super-speed tricks and Firestorm's chemical changes both appeal to the same kind of audience (e.g. me). 

I'll give the other ones some thought, but I wanted to get the ball rolling on this question before we got more concrete details about these books. 

For Wonder Woman, I would definitely prefer to see another heroine shine.

For any Titans title, another teenage character is obvious.

But the DC universe has such a vast array of (underused) characters that I cannot think of better or more specific pairings off the top of my head, especially since we don't know the exact line up of titles, let alone their reprint contents yet. After all, except for the title character, you wouldn't want a character to be both in a new story and featured in a reprint too.

Maybe a Zatanna series would be a good pairing with Wonder Woman. And how about a Deadman series to headline Ghosts? Maybe a solo Damian series in Batman Giant? Aquaman could pair with his fellow JLA-er, Cyborg, or maybe a Mera solo series. Or, if we're going for adventures in other environments, maybe Adam Strange?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service