For months now, fans have wondered what the next big BATMAN event following the acclaimed “Death of the Family” would be.

This morning, DC Comics answered their question. Kicking off this spring, BATMAN: ZERO YEAR is an epic and grand 11-issue arc that chronicles the untold details of the Dark Knight’s origin story within DC COMICS-THE NEW 52.

“It’s not ‘let’s redo the origin.’ It’s time for a new story showing how Batman became who he is in the New 52,” series writer Scott Snyder explained. “We tried to preserve as much of Batman’s history as we could and keep what we could of this history intact. It’s ‘The Zero Year,’ the one that no one has told the story of before. We see how Bruce became the Batman, built the cave, faced off with his first super villain … It’s time for a new story showing how Batman became who he is in The New 52. It builds up the mythology.”

Illustrated by series artist Greg Capullo, BATMAN: ZERO YEAR begins in June’s BATMAN #21. Attached for inclusion in your coverage, please find Capullo’s cover for BATMAN #21. Please credit this image as courtesy of DC Entertainment. For more information, please visit DC Comics’ official blog, THE SOURCE.

Views: 622

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Does anyone with any interest in Batman really need to be told his origin again?

This is supposed to be "brand-new" and not merely padding adding untold facts. I'm betting that it becomes a lot more gruesome.

Possibly--

• Bruce's parents die in a murder/suicide after being conned causing young Bruce to hunt for the conman.
  • His parents are killed by a burglar he could have stopped earlier.
  • His parents are killed and eaten by a drywitted, somehow suave cannibal.
  • His parents are turned into vampires. So, technically, they're still dead.
  • His parents are turned into Borgs.
  • His parents are killed by Orcs searching for the One Ring.
  • He and his parents were marked for death by Lord Voldemort and only he survived when a bat flew between them.
  • He had to live with his weird uncle who dressed him in short-shorts and elf-boots. (It had to come from somwhere!)
  • His parents were killed by the future Joker. For kicks!
  • His parents were killed by Alfred...because they were EVIL!!
  • His parents were killed by Alfred...because he's EVIL!!
  • His parents were killed by Alfred...for kicks!
  • His parents were killed by Bob Kane.
  • HE killed his parents! (Kept taking him to see old movies when he wanted to play Pac-Man!)

American Vampire is a Vertigo title. I'm guessing you haven't read it! :)

Is it also a TV show?

Randy Jackson said:

Oh, he comes from TV? I didn't know that.  I'm basing my opinion solely on his comics.

Captain Comics said:

I love American Vampire, Randy -- have you given it a try?

I like American Vampire and his run on Batman though it shares a lot of themes with Morrison's epic stories.

I just don't know if he (or anyone else) could "improve" on Batman's origin or make it more tragic/mythic/primal. Or that it needs updating at all. They did that with Superman: Secret Origin and those changes lasted only up to the next reboot (DcnU).

At this rate, they'll be new versions out by 2016!

Maybe it'll show Batman tripping over dead victims of the Owls and thinking that he must get around to solving that one some day...

That worries me. Will he tie in his Bat-origin to the Owls? Joe Chill was working for them?

Who ordered the Graysons killed? The Owls.

Who fianced the Red Hood? The Owls.

Who disfigured Harvey Dent? The Owls.

Who was behind the League of Assassins? The Owls.

Very Dangerous road here and a slippery slope! 

I haven't read word one of the Owls story, and am more than happy to keep it that way.

It's a great story, don't get me wrong but when you suddenly introduce a secret society that was supposedly ruling Gotham City for decades, if not centuries, the problem is that you may want apply them to all your characters in some way, a litany of Neat, Badass Ideas that may not be good in the long run.

One part of this proposed story does attract my interest: writer Scott Snyder's declaration that he'll show how Bruce built the Batcave. That, I want to see. There have been plenty of stories of how Bruce discovered the cave, but none that really got into how he built it.

To wit:

• How did he carve those stairs behind the grandfather clock leading down into the cave?
  • For that matter, why did the builders of Wayne Manor build it right above a cave? That's usually something builders try to avoid doing, because of the risk of sinkholes (think of that poor jamoke in Florida who had a sinkhole open up under his bedroom).
  • How did Bruce wire the cave for electricity and rig lighting?
  • How did he install heat, ventilation, air conditioning, and plumbing?
  • How does he deal with humidity?
  • How did he have the Cray computers and other equipment delivered and installed?
  • How does he keep the bats away from all the equipment?
  • What does he do about the bat guano, and the smell?
  • How did he determine where the cave exits to roadways and waterways?
  • How did he manage to dock the Batboat, Batcopter, and Batplane in there?
  • How does he keep secret how the Batmobile and other vehicles enter and exit the cave?
  • How did he deliver and install the giant penny, the dinosaur, and the other extra-large trophies?
  • And, most of all, how did he do it if it's just him and Alfred? If he paid to have these things done, being a billionaire and all, how does he ensure the secrets are kept?

Give me the answers to those questions, and I'll think this series is worth it.

It sounded more like a TV show than a comic when you mentioned it.  That said, having read what I've read, I don't think I'd be that interested.

Captain Comics said:

American Vampire is a Vertigo title. I'm guessing you haven't read it! :)

Is it also a TV show?

This was the big problem I had with the story.  How in the world does a secret society of hundreds of people (or even tens of people) operate in Gotham for centuries and the most anal-retentive superhero ever doesn't know about them?  Really, get 10 people together, give them a secret and see how long it takes before someone tells.  Snyder lost me right there.

If it were Flash or Green Lantern or even Superman, I could see it, but not with Batman.

Philip Portelli said:

It's a great story, don't get me wrong but when you suddenly introduce a secret society that was supposedly ruling Gotham City for decades, if not centuries, the problem is that you may want apply them to all your characters in some way, a litany of Neat, Badass Ideas that may not be good in the long run.

ClarkKent_DC said:

One part of this proposed story does attract my interest: writer Scott Snyder's declaration that he'll show how Bruce built the Batcave. That, I want to see. There have been plenty of stories of how Bruce discovered the cave, but none that really got into how he built it.

To wit:

• How did he carve those stairs behind the grandfather clock leading down into the cave?
  • For that matter, why did the builders of Wayne Manor build it right above a cave? That's usually something builders try to avoid doing, because of the risk of sinkholes (think of that poor jamoke in Florida who had a sinkhole open up under his bedroom).
  • How did Bruce wire the cave for electricity and rig lighting?
  • How did he install heat, ventilation, air conditioning, and plumbing?
  • How does he deal with humidity?
  • How did he have the Cray computers and other equipment delivered and installed?
  • How does he keep the bats away from all the equipment?
  • What does he do about the bat guano, and the smell?
  • How did he determine where the cave exits to roadways and waterways?
  • How did he manage to dock the Batboat, Batcopter, and Batplane in there?
  • How does he keep secret how the Batmobile and other vehicles enter and exit the cave?
  • How did he deliver and install the giant penny, the dinosaur, and the other extra-large trophies?
  • And, most of all, how did he do it if it's just him and Alfred? If he paid to have these things done, being a billionaire and all, how does he ensure the secrets are kept?

Give me the answers to those questions, and I'll think this series is worth it.

Superman did it. That's the answer to every question in the world.

Might I suggest some possible answers?

"How did he carve those stairs behind the grandfather clock leading down into the cave?"

The house is built on the site of a previous mansion which was a hub of a smuggling network in the eighteenth century. After discovering the caves Bruce discovered the old stairway and connected it to the new building.

"For that matter, why did the builders of Wayne Manor build it right above a cave?"

They built it on the site of the previous mansion, not knowing it was sited there to take advantage of the caves.

""How did Bruce wire the cave for electricity and rig lighting?...How did he install heat, ventilation, air conditioning, and plumbing?...How does he deal with humidity?"

As Bruce he undertook to refurbish the mansion into a showcase of green technology and doctored the plans to make things like connecting pipes to the caves a cinch. While the work was in progress he took advantage of the equipment being stored there to install at night the stuff he needed. He also worked on the work crews in disguise and did some of the key work during the day.

"How did he have the Cray computers and other equipment delivered and installed?"

He bought them in disguise at police auctions of the possessions of convicted criminal scientists and brought them in through a lift he installed in a shaft he had drilled during the renovations. (The workmen thought it was going to house an underground water silo.) Installing the lift was a big job that he had to do himself. 

"How does he keep the bats away from all the equipment?... What does he do about the bat guano, and the smell?"

He keeps them out of the part of the caves he uses with wire netting, and chases them out with a sonic device if they manage to get in anyway. His part of the cave system is well-ventilated through the mansion's supposed green systems. 

"How did he determine where the cave exits to roadways and waterways?"

He found maps left by the smugglers and further explored them using small cave mapping robots Wayne Enterprises is developing.

"How did he manage to dock the Batboat, Batcopter, and Batplane in there?... How does he keep secret how the Batmobile and other vehicles enter and exit the cave?"

The smugglers had widened some of the tunnels for their own use while also disguising the entrances. He located a suitable cave to house the Batplane, had a barn built over it, then knocked an entrance hole through the floor. He has an airstrip in plain site at the manor that he uses as Bruce Wayne and taxis the vehicles out to  it. The vehicles all have stealth systems. He always exits from the cave system or takes off in stealth mode and switches to the vehicles' detectable systems when he judges it safe to do so. He avoids taking the Batplane or Batcopter out when the moon's up.

"How did he deliver and install the giant penny, the dinosaur, and the other extra-large trophies?"

He dismantles them where necessary and brings them in through the water tank lift. He has sites in Gotham he can store things at until he has time to do this.

"And, most of all, how did he do it if it's just him and Alfred?"

A little at a time, and something every day.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service