Starting with a 2-issue miniseries, DC Millennium, which walks the reader through 1,000 years, ending at the Legion's doorstep. Millennium is by Brian Bendis and a variety of artists (one for each time period), and the Legion proper will by by Bendis and Ryan Sook. There's an interview with Bendis about his plans on Comicbook.com. 

Views: 993

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am guessing the newly 17 (IIRC) Jonathon Kent Superboy will be the reader-entry-point character. This seems to explain his age change. So around that age  seems to fit with the revealed artwork.

I wish I understood why Bendis keeps being given what should, by any reasonable metric, be perceived as sensitive relaunches of books with lots of history and troubled recent past.

I don't think Jon will be the viewpoint character for Millennium. Russ Burlingame, the author of the ComicBook.com article has said the guide will be female. Bendis himself is very careful to not give the gender away on his quotes, but that could be a matter of him not knowing if he was allowed to reveal that much when he gave the interview. But the art centers on a female character, and Burlingame, I'm sure, was getting his facts from DC's PR department.

That isn't to say I don't think Jon's going to be heading to the future. He almost certainly is. But I think he'll take the more traditional, time-travel way of getting there, while the Millennium protagonist is going to live the entire 1,000 years. Could she turn out to be the RJ Brande of the new Legion? In the Zero Hour reboot, Martian Manhunter did exactly that. 

Richard Mantle said:

I am guessing the newly 17 (IIRC) Jonathon Kent Superboy will be the reader-entry-point character. This seems to explain his age change. So around that age  seems to fit with the revealed artwork.

I'm guessing that it's Naomi who will be the Millennium viewpoint character.

I'm all for the return of the Legion, let alone the Justice Society, IF DONE RIGHT!

I'm willing to give Bendis a chance, but Sook's (preliminary?) sketch of Saturn Girl with the interview didn't look quite right in my personal opinion.

I'm all for the return of both groups if done well. I don't think there's a right or wrong way to do them. People will disagree on what those core elements are, for both groups -- but if the creative team sells me on the latest iterations, I'm completely OK with that, even if it differs in some respects from the version I originally was a fan of. 

For example -- this Legion is apparently going to be in the 32nd century, not the 31st. Since I grew up with them in the 30th century, it doesn't seem that big a change to me. At the same time, I do wonder why that might be the case.

Another example: When the JSA is reintroduced, will they still be tied to World War II? It's no longer feasible for them to be the generation ahead of the JLA and WWII vets...so which is more important? Is there some way, using the multiverse, to square that circle and have both?

Right now, I have more faith in Bendis & Sook to give us a Legion I'm interested in than Snyder & his co-creators to give me a JSA I like. But Snyder's certainly given us great stories before... maybe here's where he gets his groove back. 

I think the Silver Age characters, like the Metal Men, Metamorpho, Adam Strange, J'onn J'onzz, the Challengers of the Unknown, etc., should take their place as the generation between WWII and the current crew of heroes. If you look at the Silver Age as the Baby Boomers, that would make the "current" crew (Justice League) the Gen X'ers, and Young Justice and crew the Millennials.

Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) said:

Another example: When the JSA is reintroduced, will they still be tied to World War II? It's no longer feasible for them to be the generation ahead of the JLA and WWII vets...so which is more important? Is there some way, using the multiverse, to square that circle and have both?

I wish i had said this!

Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) said:

I'm all for the return of both groups if done well. I don't think there's a right or wrong way to do them. People will disagree on what those core elements are, for both groups -- but if the creative team sells me on the latest iterations, I'm completely OK with that, even if it differs in some respects from the version I originally was a fan of. 

My biggest fear, at this point, is that Bendis is bringing back the Legion to bolster his larger Superman story arcs and after he leaves the Legion for his own projects, their importance will plummet.

I don't think that'll be the case. Bendis has a lot of enthusiasm for the Legion, and he's indicated that he and Sook have been treating it like a huge project in its own right. But we'll see. (I'm champing at the bit for a new installment of The Bendis Tapes on the Word Balloon podcast now!)

Philip Portelli said:

My biggest fear, at this point, is that Bendis is bringing back the Legion to bolster his larger Superman story arcs and after he leaves the Legion for his own projects, their importance will plummet.

Richard Mantle wrote*:

I've seen a grainy page of the new looks of more characters than previously and there is a recognisable MON-EL !!!! Hooray!!!

(*posted over at the Superman thread, so don't bother scrolling up to look for it.)

I've seen that image too, Richard, and am trying to figure out where it came from? I'd like to see a higher-res version, but so far all I can find is this pic on a couple of FB pages -- no other source. Which makes it seem like it was leaked, not intentionally released.

But yep, as well as the previously released designs for Rokk, Imra, Garth, Brainy, Shady, and Cham, we get six more designs. No names are attached, but a few seem obvious: Blok, Star Boy, and Mon-El. We also get what looks like Ayla and Dirk (if that's solar energy around him), and a purple woman who might be Vi. It's tough to say: The figures are super tiny. 

But what the heck, here they are! Speculate away!

Found the source of the photo; apparently it's in this month's Previews. Someone posted the pic on Twitter, and then Bendis retweeted it, and it started going wide.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service