Starting with a 2-issue miniseries, DC Millennium, which walks the reader through 1,000 years, ending at the Legion's doorstep. Millennium is by Brian Bendis and a variety of artists (one for each time period), and the Legion proper will by by Bendis and Ryan Sook. There's an interview with Bendis about his plans on Comicbook.com. 

Views: 1676

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I agree that the book is improving, Rob (albeit a little slowly for my tastes). But Superboy's face here is freakish. It looks to me like a fake smile, where the mouth smiles, but the eyes don't.

Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) said:

It looks like we'll finally find out in issue 4. I can't wait. 

As I mentioned last week (on another thread), I find this version of Sperboy annoying. Watch the damned orientation! I just want to slap him.

Hahaha!

I don't mind him as a character (although he is a bit plain), but I really do not care for how the entire Legion seems to revere him as a god.

"You're super, man!" This is a literal quote from the book. The book that is coming out in our present day.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

As I mentioned last week (on another thread), I find this version of Sperboy annoying. Watch the damned orientation! I just want to slap him.

I don't know about a god, but there's definitely a lot of hero-worship going on. But I imagine that if my friends and I went back in time and brought back, say, Abraham Lincoln, I'd probably react the same way. 

Okay, by “a god”, I meant the same way I say people treat Justin Bieber like a god. Or fill in the blank with someone else who is widely looked upon with awe.

Issue #4 provides an interesting counter-point to Batman '66 Meets the Legion of super-Heroes (I think).

While the orientation gag may have lasted too long, the only thing I really don't like about the title (so far) is what appears to be DC's new policy of printing variant covers on heavier stock so they can charge an extra $1 per issue.

Yeah, I'm not crazy about that either. Although it makes it easier to decide which one to buy!

I forgot about this book -- I'll have to pull it out and read it again! (Which necessitates finding it, which is easier said than done.)

Jeff of Earth-J said:

Issue #4 provides an interesting counter-point to Batman '66 Meets the Legion of super-Heroes (I think).

Just saw news the LSH 4 has been bumped two weeks, from Feb 5 to Feb 19. Sigh.

ETA: Actually, it looks like this is just a ripple effect of the initial postponement of issue 1. No big deal. 

I finally read issue 3, and it's pretty good. The focus remains on Superboy and a small smattering of other characters, which I understand. I don't like the fact that the bad guy they automatically think of is Hitler, even though it was a thousand-plus years ago. Yes, Hitler's legacy will be around for awhile, but I would think there are going to be more and more bad guys like him in the intervening years--it kind of just shows that the writer is from 2020 and is trying to make all of us understand what they're talking about.

I do really like this version of Jo Nah, and Imra Ardeen is getting less annoying.

I admit that the Baby Hitler line is a little jarring for the reasons you suggest. There's a lot of history between the 1940s and the 31st century. And yet I'm not sure if there's a better choice. Allow me to explain, in a short essay I should never have called...

IN DEFENSE OF BABY HITLER!

First of all, let's look at what the line is, and what it does. Dawnstar thinks Damian might have been Cham, pulling an "earth-tribe" joke. Cham says, "What kind of joke is THAT? "Look at me, hey! I'm Baby Hitler!"" I would NEVER do that!" And then Gim asks, "Baby Hitler?"

The line is brief, it's funny and unexpected, and it tells us something the Legionnaires know about Damian's future. 

I don't think you can beat Baby Hitler in brevity. If Hitler is a modern metaphor for evil, Baby Hitler is a widely known time-travel trope for evil before it starts. Sometimes people in our time use Stalin or Pol Pot as substitutes for the evil metaphor... but when it comes to traveling in time to kill a baby  before he becomes evil, that's pretty much all Hitler territory. Those two words say a lot.

And perhaps there's someone in the next thousand years who was even worse. I think that's likely, considering that, after all, the Earth blew up! But we wouldn't know his name -- even if the name Bendis gave to the villain was self-explanatory, like Snargoz the Treacherous, we wouldn't have any context for it. We wouldn't know what he did, or when he did it -- for all we'd know, Snargoz might be someone we'd be expecting to see in the future issue. We don't have those expectations with Hitler.

As for the humor: While we might get some humor with Snargoz, it's all about his name; we don't have context to make anything else about the situation funny. But Cham's exasperation with someone thinking he'd pretend to be Damian as a joke is clear with the Baby Hitler reference. 

Another thing: It's a busy enough book as it is. Why waste exposition on Snargoz if he's not going to be an issue? Hitler needs no exposition.

Also, Gim's response -- "Baby Hitler?" -- suggests that knowledge of Hitler isn't necessarily as universal in the 31st century as it is in ours. But I think we can assume that there are a number of people in the Legion who've been studying the 20th and 21st centuries, considering they just went there to induct Superboy. Maybe Cham chose Hitler for his comment because he thinks of Damian and Hitler as relative contemporaries. (We see earlier in the issue how excited Dawnstar is to meet Superboy, because she sees him -- a 21st century kid -- as a link to her people's 13th century earth origins. So "contemporary" is a pretty wide net from a millenium's distance.)

Ultimately, though, I just wrote it off as this: Everything we read in this book is translated from Interlac -- not just literally, but also idiomatically. Maybe Cham said Baby Hitler. Maybe he said "L'il Snargoz," and it was translated to Baby Hitler for the sake of the 21st century readership. Like you said, the writer is from 2020, and so are we. And if he wants to make sure we know what's being talked about, I'm all for that. So much of this relaunch has been a guessing game, as we haven't seen a full roll call or been introduced to a lot of the cast. So I'm happy to have a baby Hitler to hold onto every now and then. At least we know where we stand with that guy.  

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service