Robin Olsen:

I just can't help thinking that Kirby's sales figures didn't help his cause any, either, and maybe not enough READERS were "accepting" Kirby's more ambitious stuff"

Okay, folks. Let's focus. I wanna hear what DC comics WERE "successes" in the early 70's. I wanna know whose books WEREN'T getting cancelled left-right-and-center.  Because it sure as HELL wasn't GREEN LANTERN-GREEN ARROW, or DEADMAN, or AQUAMAN, or HAWKMAN, and frankly, most of the DCs from the early 70's were books I wouldn't touch with a ten-foot-pole, so I'm a bit in the dark as to exactly what they were publishing.

Views: 2699

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

No, I'm not gonna count... but it ran (with a few breaks) from Sep'52 to Oct'72.

Artists included Al Stenzel, George Evans, Lou Fine, Alden McWilliams, Gray Morrow, Lou Fine & Gray Morrow.

Other fans have suggested there may be a few other artists involved, if so, I'd place them during the "Lou Fine" period. Unlike Evans, McWilliams & Morrow, whose styles are extrememly recognizable, it seems Lou Fine went out of his way to do the most "generic" Johnstone & Cushing ad agency art he could manage. NOTHING of his earlier, comic-book style is recognizable in his many SC strips.

What flipped me out was, my interest in SC was re-ignited by an article in ALTER EGO which mentioned Alden McWilliams.  But it turns out, the year of BOY'S LIFE I had from back then (late 60's), it was all Gray Morrow's work. This was at the SAME TIME he was doing the storyboards for the 2nd & 3rd seasons of SPIDER-MAN and the 3rd season of ROCKET ROBIN HOOD. So I was being inundated with Gray Morrow work in 2 areas, and didn't know it!  I rank him as the BEST artist who worked on the strip.  George Evans I'd rank as either 2nd or 3rd. What cracked me up was just how easily recognizable his style was to me, considering how LITTLE of his work I had in my entire comic-book collection.  (And it was an issue of SUPER-VILLAIN TEAM-UP I recognized his work from.)

Here's the start, each page has links at the bottom leading you easily to the next one.

I flipped around your incredible blog and skimmed a few of the storylines. They get more complex, and even include images of the Discovery from 2001: A Space Odessey as the decade draws to a close.

Let's do a little math.  Let's call the period of publication roughtly 20 years, from Sept. 52 to Oct. '72.... Given 12 months, 12 installments per year, that's roughly 240 installments, or maybe 241 if you include the final one.  Not a bad collection. And see, that math wasn't so difficult, without even counting them all up, eh?  LOL!

jFor one very simple reason: Stan Lee has made enough money off little talent and I don't intend to contribute to him by paying for a t-shirt with his name on it, George.

George Poague said:

Allen Wayne Smith said: "True.  It's a shame Stan Lee never progressed beyond the type of dialogue he wrote for Millie the Model, or beyond banal and trite, obvious, and shallow dialogue and characterization.'

I guess I missed all the brilliant dialogue being written for DC, Charlton, Gold Key and Archie comics in those days.

Why don't you and Henry K just buy T-shirts saying "Stan Lee is the Anti-Christ," and be done with it?

No, Kirby isn't the be all and end all of comics.  I'm realistic about the talents of both Kirby and Lee.  Based on my reading of their comics since 1964.

George Poague said:

Right, you'd have to stop wearing your "Jack Kirby Is My God" T-shirt.

Where do I sign up for this?

Josh Whedon will be SOOOO jealous.

George Poague said:

Right, you'd have to stop wearing your "Jack Kirby Is My God" T-shirt.

Here's a book that didn't last long...  THE SHADOW

Uhm, Chris is the one on the right. ClarkKent_DC is the one in the middle.

Kirk G said:

THAT's CHRIS FLUIT?  

I didn't know he was black....

George Poague said:

http://captaincomics.ning.com/photo/clarkkent-meets-the-fluits?cont...

Maybe Chris Fluit could alter his T-shirt for you -- if he still has it. ;)

Oh, that's good, George.  I should have said that!

George Poague said:

And I thought Chris was the one in pink on the left! (Ha)

Emerkeith Davyjack said:

...Um , how much writing imput did Kirby have with the Challs ??? I thought that the Wood brothers were seen as the creators and writers .

In that case, they did a remarkable job of impersonating Kirby's writing.

Also , the Challs , the Sea Devils , Cave Carson , the FF , and probably many more such quasi-military/scientific teams in comics , just as in movies/TV/prose fiction of the time , basically followed this " four-six members - combining (with one or another individual version combining one or another of the two) The Leader , The Brain , The Hothead , The Likeable Roughneck/" Brooklynite " , The Kid , The Girl..." !

Possibly derived from Doc Savage and his amazing crew. Kirby's teams usually consist of some combination of a leader or father figure, an intellectual, a tough guy from Brooklyn and a young hothead.

Allen Wayne Smith said:

No, Kirby isn't the be all and end all of comics.  I'm realistic about the talents of both Kirby and Lee.  Based on my reading of their comics since 1964.

You might be well advised to read some of Kirby's comics prior to 1964. A good start would be the recent collection Young Romance.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service