DC's Infinite Frontier relaunch starts in March, with an initially trimmer line, as DC takes steps toward anthologies and backup features.

A handful of standards continue, often with new creative teams: Batman, Detective Comics, Superman, Action Comics, Justice League, Flash, Wonder Woman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Batman/Superman

There are also some new titles. Some of them are relaunches of recent titles, but a few are deeper dives: Harley Quinn, Teen Titans Academy, Swamp Thing, Suicide Squad, Crime Syndicate, The Joker

And there are a few new anthologies: Batman: Urban Legends, and Superman: Red and Blue. The Superman titles seems like a variation on Batman: Black and White, but so far none of the art I've seen has made the color combination look appealing. The Urban Legends book seems more like an anthology of various gotham stories (Batman, Harley Quinn, Grifters, Outsiders), with a lead feature starring Batman. Hopefully it works.

Of the ongoing books, I'm most interested in Justice League by Brian Bendis and David Marquez, Gene Yang and Ivan Reis's Batman/Superman, the two Superman titles (written by Phillip Kennedy Johnson, with initial art by Phil Hester) and Tom Taylor & Bruno Redondo's Nightwing. Flash promises "the redemption of Wally West," but I've heard that one before. 

In the new launches, there's a new Swamp Thing from India, the 80s Titans are now teaching younger students, and Harley Quinn and the Suicide Squad are back (with Peacemaker leading the Squad). None really jump out at me. There's a Crime Syndicate comic that promises "edgy" super-action on Earth 3, and a Joker book that sounds the most promising of the lot: a retired Jim Gordon on an international manhunt for the Joker. That sounds great, aside from the Joker.

So ultimately, this is probably the DC relaunch I've been the least interested in since...well, since just about ever, I guess. There's good stuff there -- Nightwing has my favorite team in comics right now! and I *do* love anthologies and backup features -- but so much of it seems grim and grumpy.

Nonetheless, April promises more launches. A Robin ongoing has been announced, and there's more to come. 

Views: 179

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

March's backup stories:

Demon or Detective: a two-part Robin tale in Batman and Detective
Punchline: In Joker
Tales of Metropolis: in Action and Superman
Diana of Themescira: Young Wonder Woman stories in Wonder Woman
JL Dark: in Justice League

Nothing that will pull me into buying a book, but I expect I'll like JL Dark better in shorter installments, and as Johnson plans some epic space stuff with Superman, it'll be good to have backups keeping an eye on Metropolis.

I expect the "Demon or Detective" story to just last in March, leading into the Robin ongoing. There'll probably be new backups in April. (Will they run from Batman to Detective? It's not a bad way for DC to encourage readers to buy both titles.) 

There were two one-shots that were supposed to bookend "Future State": Generations Shattered (January 6) and Generations: Forged (February 24). I was at least going to look at Generations: Shattered, but I didn't notice it. Can anyone confirm that it shipped? Has anyone here read it? 

Generations: Shattered shipped a few weeks ago. I've read it and loved it. It's got very familiar "gathering of the team" vibes, but I like the particular characters (and iterations of characters) that it gathers, and I like the notion that the people brought on board aren't all the ones who were intended to be there. 

Dan Jurgens is one of the writers, and it's got his fingerprints all over it -- not only are there some callbacks to 90s Superman characters, but also it's just got this very sturdy, non-ironic look at superheroes. Honestly, it's a breath of fresh air.

Also -- and this is a total plus to me -- Tom Napolitano's lettering seems a touch bigger than in most comics. Much easier on the eyes!

Thanks. I'll have to look for it next week.

Splitting up the Robin back-up between 2 series, makes me want to skip both of them just out of spite. That really irritates me.

Ultimately, I will read the previews and see what interests me, same as always.

I've got the DC solicitations for March and April, if y'all want me to post the pertinent ones.

DC has also sent PR on the new Swamp Thing (it's a maxiseries, 10 issues, I think), Batman (two series so far), Green Lantern and Robin. I haven't read them yet, but I can post them as well. Whatever y'all want.

One of the Batman series is by John Ridley, and stars Tim Fox. Evidently, it's going to detail his hero's journey to donning the cape-n-cowl, as seen in Future State. Many of the creative teams on Future State books will follow as the regular team on the "present" book.

I bought Generations: Shattered today. What I think happened was I missed it because both of the covers were in the same slot, and I didn't recognize the virgin alternate, which must have been in front.

Oh, nice, Cap! Yeah, I'd love to see them! I hadn't yet heard of the new GL book, though I figured one was coming.

I did see some info on the new Batman; The Dark Knight book by Tom Taylor and Andy Kubert. It's a 6-issue mini, taking Batman to Europe. Sounds great -- it's a hell of a team! -- but it being a finite series, I might hold off until I can buy it as a collection and enjoy it all at once. 

Aprils's backup stories:

Ghost-Maker: in Batman
Huntress: in Detective
Midnighter: in Action
Tales of Metropolis (Ambush Bug): in Superman
Punchline: In Joker
Young Diana of Themescira: Young Wonder Woman stories in Wonder Woman
JL Dark: in Justice League

So that back-up series stretching across two series lasted one issue of Batman & Detective. They're separate now.

Also in backups: The Batman: Urban Legends anthology continues the Grifters and Outsiders stories, but replaces Harley Quinn with Batgirl this issue.

Do we know who is doing Ambush Bug?

Sean Lewis and Sami Basri.

Travis Herrick (Modular Mod) said:

Do we know who is doing Ambush Bug?

Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) said:

Oh, nice, Cap! Yeah, I'd love to see them! I hadn't yet heard of the new GL book, though I figured one was coming.

OK. Here's the PR so far:

Robin #1

Now that Damian Wayne has severed his ties to both Batman and the Teen Titans, he’ll be emerging from under their shadows to forge his own path, courtesy of writer Joshua Williamson (The Flash, Future State: Justice League, Infinite Frontier) and artist Gleb Melnikov (Wonder Woman, Batman/Superman Annual) in an all-new ongoing series! Debuting on Tuesday, April 27, Robin will feature new mysteries for Damian to explore, a new supporting cast, brand new characters, and fights, lots of fights!

"Being a big fan of Damian Wayne, I'm really excited about getting him back on a hero's journey." said Williamson. "Gleb is the perfect artist to tell this story as we show readers Damian's growth, in a new adventure that navigates his legacy, his connections to Batman, Talia Al Ghul and kicks off an important story in the DC Universe.”

After learning of the deadly League of Lazarus tournament, Damian Wayne has a new mission: to win the tournament and prove he is the greatest fighter in the DC Universe! But first he must find the secret island where the tournament is being held!

For fans that want a taste of the action to come from Williamson and Melnikov, the March issues of Batman (#106, on sale March 2) and Detective Comics (issue #1034, on sale March 23) will feature a two-part “prequel” backup story, “Demon or Detective.” After leaving Batman behind in Detective Comics #1033, Damian comes face to face with his mother, Talia al Ghul.

Featuring a main and wraparound variant covers by Melnikov, a team-themed card stock variant cover by Andy Kubert and a 1 in 25 variant cover by Riccardo Federici, Robin is a can’t-miss look at the next phase of Damian Wayne’s hero’s journey.

The Next Batman: Second Son #1

Award-winning screenwriter John Ridley’s groundbreaking take on Tim Fox as The Next Batman has been a runaway hit, receiving critical acclaim from press and fans alike, as well as second printings for the first two issues of Future State: The Next Batman!

In addition to his upcoming short story in Batman: Black and White #3 (on sale February 23), DC and Ridley have more in store to expand the growing legacy of this new Dark Knight. The Next Batman: Second Son is a new miniseries, launching weekly digital chapters beginning February 23. The first three digital chapters will be collected into the debut print issue, available at comic book stores on April 6. 

Now that the world knows Tim Fox is behind the mask fighting against The Magistrate in Gotham City, what’s the truth behind his origin and his connection to the current DC Universe? Featuring art by Tony Akins (Jack of Fables), Travel Foreman (Animal Man, Birds of Prey) and Mark Morales (Justice League, Deathstroke, REPRESENT!/”It’s A Bird”) this miniseries answers the questions behind Tim’s estrangement from Lucius Fox and the rest of the Fox family and his evolution from man of mystery to Gotham’s newest guardian.

On June 29, experience all of Ridley’s trailblazing work returning Tim Fox to comics in the Batman by John Ridley Deluxe Edition. This 128-page must-have hardcover collection is led by an original story by Ridley, with art by Dustin Nguyen and collects Future State: The Next Batman issues #1-#4, in addition to stories from Batman: Black and White and “Family Ties,” from Batman: The Joker War Zone #1. 

Green Lantern #1

(Green Lantern #1 cover by Bernard Chang)

Beginning on April 6, DC’s Green Lantern Corps are back in a new Green Lantern #1 by Geoffrey Thorne and Dexter Soy! Spinning out of Future State: Green Lantern and Infinite Frontier, John Stewart is at the center of the new series—plus Young Justice’s Teen Lantern and Far Sector star Sojourner “Jo” Mullein! As this new Green Lantern saga begins, the newly formed United Planets and the Guardians of the Universe hold an intergalactic summit to decide who can best serve and protect the cosmos from danger.

With the majority of Green Lanterns called back to Oa, John Stewart arrives alongside Teen Lantern Keli Quintela, whose homemade gauntlet could be one of the most powerful and unstable weapons in the universe. With the entire landscape of the universe in flux, is this the end of the Green Lantern Corps...or a new beginning?

As the new Green Lantern series progresses, Jo Mullein (Far Sector #10 arrives on February 2) joins the Corps to find out why the Central Power Battery exploded. Jo and Keli are on the case—are they the World’s Finest Lanterns?? What will this dynamic duo uncover as they investigate!?

This bold new story kicks off in DC’s Infinite Frontier #0 on March 2, where fans will see Dexter Soy’s incredible Green Lantern artwork for the first time.

(Infinite Frontier #0 interior artwork by Dexter Soy)

Green Lantern #1, written by Geoffrey Thorne (Future State: Green Lantern, Truth & Justice) with art by Dexter Soy (Batman & the Outsiders, Red Hood and the Outlaws) and a cover by Bernard Chang, plus a card stock variant cover by Bryan Hitch, arrives on April 6.

APRIL 13

Batman: The Dark Knight #1

New Bat-Villains! New Bat-Allies! A thrilling overseas adventure for the Dark Knight begins with the launch of DC’s Batman: The Dark Knight on April 13! Batman: The Dark Knight will take a seasoned Batman—a lifetime of broken bones but not a broken spirit—out of Wayne Manor and on a harrowing, action-packed European quest in a new six-issue miniseries with superstar creators Tom Taylor (DCeased, Suicide Squad) and Andy Kubert (Batman: The Dark Knight-The Master Race, Superman: Up in the Sky) at the helm! DC’s Dark Knight returns this April!

“I will leap at any chance to tell a Batman story at any time,” said Taylor, “but teaming up with a legend like Andy Kubert for a Batman tale is a dream and an honor. I have Andy's Dark Knight statue sitting on my desk, so I can see exactly how his Batman is larger than life.”

“This series is a different take on the character than I had done before,” said Kubert. “Every story that I have done with Batman has been different in tone, and the art takes on a life of its own as the story dictates. Batman and Son, Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader and Dark Knight III-The Master Race along with Flashpoint Batman, had their own look and feel for that particular story. Batman: The Dark Knight is no different.”

(Batman: The Dark Knight #1 cover by Andy Kubert and Brad Anderson)

But how does this Batman story begin? A horrific tragedy in the United Kingdom sends a very personal and deadly message to the Dark Knight—one that will draw Batman out of Gotham City to investigate! From the moment he lands in Europe, Batman will face a challenging investigation, unheard-of adversaries, and find the assistance of a partner once more—all in the hunt for the villain known as Equilibrium! And what does “BATMAN 147” mean to Bruce Wayne when it appears after a deadly plane crash—is it a clue, or a riddle? Or just another trap for the Batman?

(Batman: The Dark Knight #1 variant cover by Andy Kubert and Brad Anderson)

“When editor Ben Abernathy and Andy came to me with an idea for a world-weary Batman leaving Gotham for Europe,” continued Taylor, “I immediately thought of the great stories I'd read of an older, cynical Batman. But the challenge was finding the call to adventure for a Batman who's a little more jaded. Fortunately, I already had something up my sleeve. I actually pitched a Batman idea to Ben Abernathy all the way back in 2012 and, nine years later, we were able to find a place for this in Batman: The Dark Knight. The idea was about taking something away from Batman that no one's ever tried to take before. And from that, a new, unique Batman villain was born. It's all about Equilibrium.”

“When Ben and I had discussed making this Batman larger than life, we knew we had to have a writer that could deliver that type of story,” said Kubert. “Tom Taylor has proven himself, especially with DCeased and Suicide Squad, that he was it. What he has crafted here will be a story for the ages.”

(Batman: The Dark Knight #1 interior artwork by Andy Kubert and Brad Anderson)

And who is Batman’s new partner? All signs point to Knight or Squire (from the pages of Batman Incorporated) to help Batman crack this case, but who are the people behind these aliases, and how much will an aging Bruce Wayne be able to help them with cracked ribs, or a dislocated shoulder, or the pain associated with being Batman in the first place? When will enough be enough for the Dark Knight?

“Andy's Batman never skipped leg day,” concluded Taylor “His legs are like tree trunks. He's a bit older, he's a little slower, but he's efficient. He's muscle and bulk and power and he moves like a battering ram. He interacts a little like a battering ram too. He's singularly focused. He has a mission, and he won't be pushed off track by hordes of attackers…or even Andy's terrifying Gentleman Ghost. While this is about an older Dark Knight, we also had an opportunity to flashback to his past, to see a younger Bruce Wayne in training in a way never expanded on before.”

"Batman: The Dark Knight's Batman is hardened and thick," added Kubert. "The years and battles have caught up with him. As he walks, you can hear him creak like an old rusted gate that needs to be oiled. And Tom writes it all so perfectly."

(Batman: The Dark Knight #1 interior artwork by Andy Kubert and Brad Anderson)

DC’s Batman: The  Dark  Knight  #1 (of 6), written by Tom Taylor with art, cover and card stock variant cover by Andy Kubert and Brad Anderson, along with a 1:25 card stock variant cover by Riccardo Federici, arrives on April 13 with an extra-sized 26-page debut story!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service