DC's Infinite Frontier relaunch starts in March, with an initially trimmer line, as DC takes steps toward anthologies and backup features.

A handful of standards continue, often with new creative teams: Batman, Detective Comics, Superman, Action Comics, Justice League, Flash, Wonder Woman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Batman/Superman

There are also some new titles. Some of them are relaunches of recent titles, but a few are deeper dives: Harley Quinn, Teen Titans Academy, Swamp Thing, Suicide Squad, Crime Syndicate, The Joker

And there are a few new anthologies: Batman: Urban Legends, and Superman: Red and Blue. The Superman titles seems like a variation on Batman: Black and White, but so far none of the art I've seen has made the color combination look appealing. The Urban Legends book seems more like an anthology of various gotham stories (Batman, Harley Quinn, Grifters, Outsiders), with a lead feature starring Batman. Hopefully it works.

Of the ongoing books, I'm most interested in Justice League by Brian Bendis and David Marquez, Gene Yang and Ivan Reis's Batman/Superman, the two Superman titles (written by Phillip Kennedy Johnson, with initial art by Phil Hester) and Tom Taylor & Bruno Redondo's Nightwing. Flash promises "the redemption of Wally West," but I've heard that one before. 

In the new launches, there's a new Swamp Thing from India, the 80s Titans are now teaching younger students, and Harley Quinn and the Suicide Squad are back (with Peacemaker leading the Squad). None really jump out at me. There's a Crime Syndicate comic that promises "edgy" super-action on Earth 3, and a Joker book that sounds the most promising of the lot: a retired Jim Gordon on an international manhunt for the Joker. That sounds great, aside from the Joker.

So ultimately, this is probably the DC relaunch I've been the least interested in since...well, since just about ever, I guess. There's good stuff there -- Nightwing has my favorite team in comics right now! and I *do* love anthologies and backup features -- but so much of it seems grim and grumpy.

Nonetheless, April promises more launches. A Robin ongoing has been announced, and there's more to come. 

Views: 142

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Here's three, I think, press releases regarding Infinite Frontier. Haven't edited them together yet:

NFINITE FRONTIER #0 one-shot

Written by Scott Snyder, Geoff Johns, James Tynion Iv, Joshua Williamson, Geoffrey Thorne, Phillip Kennedy Johnson, Brian Michael Bendis, Becky Cloonan, Michael W. Conrad, Joëlle Jones and Tim Sheridan

Art by John Timms, Howard Porter, Joëlle Jones, Jorge Jimenez, Alitha Martinzez, David Marquez, Stephen Byrne, Jamal Igle, Dexter Soy, Rafa Sandoval, Alex Maleev, John Romita Jr. and others

Wraparound cover by Dan Jurgens and Mikel Janín

Card stock variant cover by John Timms ($6.99)

ONE-SHOT | ON SALE 3/2/21

$5.99 US | 64 Pages | FC

The next phase of the DC Universe begins here! Dark Knights: Death Metal presented the darkest threats of the Multiverse. DC Future State revealed what may lie ahead. Now it’s time to look into the Infinite Frontier of the current-day DC Universe.

In Gotham City, The Joker jolts citizens awake with an attack even the Dark Knight never expected. In Brazil, a young woman discovers her destiny and her connection to the Amazons. In Belle Reve, Amanda Waller plots an invasion of Arkham Asylum. In the far reaches of space, Mongul dreams of galactic domination, while the Green Lantern Corps hosts a summit of its greatest enemies. At the Hall of Justice, the League joins forces with Black Adam. Beyond the mortal world, Wonder Woman settles into a new role in the godsphere. And somewhere in the DC Universe—it’s the return of Stargirl, in an all-new tale written by Geoff Johns!

This oversized, all-star issue kicks off the next great era of storytelling and excitement as top writers and artists reveal what’s next for the World’s Greatest Heroes and opens the door to some of the greatest stories of 2021.

Infinite Frontier #0

The DC Universe enters its next phase this March with the release of Infinite Frontier #0, a 64-page one-shot from the most creative and innovative storytellers in comics that sets the table for new tales, talent, and characters for 2021 and beyond.

As Dark Nights: Death Metal exposes our heroes to the Multiverse’s darkest threats and DC’s Future State event provides a glimpse into possible futures of the DC Universe, this blockbuster one-shot propels our heroes into the current day and a world full of endless possibilities.

“Infinite Frontier #0 really feels like the beginning of a new era of DC Comics, a time when anything is possible,” said writer Joshua Williamson. “We’re taking the aftermath of Dark Nights: Death Metal and combining it with the best things we love as storytellers about the DC Universe, resulting in bold, fun, and exciting new directions. There are a lot of teases to new story lines, surprises, and mysteries for the year set up in Infinite Frontier #0 that you won’t want to miss.”

Featuring a dynamic primary cover by Dan Jurgens and Mikel Janín and an equally breathtaking card stock variant cover by John Timms, these stories will be delivered by some of the best talent in comics, including (among others):

• Joshua Williamson, Scott Snyder, and James Tynion IV with John Timms
  • Brian Michael Bendis and David Marquez
  • Becky Cloonan and Michael W. Conrad with Alitha Martinez
  • Geoff Johns and Todd Nauck
  • Joshua Williamson and Alex Maleev
  • James Tynion IV and Jorge Jiménez
  • Phillip Kennedy Johnson and Jamal Igle

Infinite Frontier #0 will also serve as the catalyst for new can’t-miss series and story lines continuing throughout 2021:

An unthinkable, unexpected attack by the Joker makes him the target of a worldwide dragnet with ex-cop Jim Gordon in hot pursuit in the ongoing series The Joker by James Tynion IV and Guillem March

Spinning out of her breakout appearances in Future State: Wonder Woman and Future State: Superman/Wonder Woman, a young Yara Flor begins the search for her destiny and connection to the Amazons

It’s orientation day at Titans Tower as Tim Sheridan and Rafa Sandoval introduce a new group of teen heroes (including the future Red X) to the original New Teen Titans, setting the table for the duo’s Teen Titans Academy series in March

The adventures of the Justice League continue (beginning with Justice League #59), now written by Brian Michael Bendis with artist David Marquez, with new JL members, including Black Adam, Hippolyta, and Naomi

Wonder Woman ventures into the "godsphere," creating an exciting new storyline by Becky Cloonan, Michael W. Conrad and Travis Moore, continuing in March's Wonder Woman #770

Award-winning writer Geoff Johns and Todd Nauck tell an all-new Stargirl story

For fans wanting a gateway into the next great era of storytelling, this 64-page oversize one-shot is a guaranteed must-have for March pull lists. Priced at $5.99 for the main cover version and $6.99 for the card stock variant, this book will be available at all comic book stores and participating digital retailers on Tuesday, March 2, 2021.

64-Page One-Shot Presents Infinite Possibilities for the World’s Greatest Super Heroes on March 2, 2021

The DC Universe enters its next phase this March with the release of Infinite Frontier #0, a 64-page one-shot from the most creative and innovative storytellers in comics that sets the table for new tales, talent, and characters for 2021 and beyond.

As Dark Nights: Death Metal exposes our heroes to the Multiverse’s darkest threats and DC’s Future State event provides a glimpse into possible futures of the DC Universe, this blockbuster one-shot propels our heroes into the current day and a world full of endless possibilities.

“Infinite Frontier #0 really feels like the beginning of a new era of DC Comics, a time when anything is possible,” said writer Joshua Williamson. “We’re taking the aftermath of Dark Nights: Death Metal and combining it with the best things we love as storytellers about the DC Universe, resulting in bold, fun, and exciting new directions. There are a lot of teases to new story lines, surprises, and mysteries for the year set up in Infinite Frontier #0 that you won’t want to miss.”

Featuring a dynamic primary cover by Dan Jurgens and Mikel Janín and an equally breathtaking card stock variant cover by John Timms, these stories will be delivered by some of the best talent in comics, including (among others):

• Joshua Williamson, Scott Snyder, and James Tynion IV with John Timms
  • Brian Michael Bendis and David Marquez
  • Becky Cloonan and Michael W. Conrad with Alitha Martinez
  • Geoff Johns and Todd Nauck
  • Joshua Williamson and Alex Maleev
  • James Tynion IV and Jorge Jiménez
  • Phillip Kennedy Johnson and Jamal Igle

Infinite Frontier #0 will also serve as the catalyst for new can’t-miss series and story lines continuing throughout 2021:

An unthinkable, unexpected attack by the Joker makes him the target of a worldwide dragnet with ex-cop Jim Gordon in hot pursuit in the ongoing series The Joker by James Tynion IV and Guillem March

Spinning out of her breakout appearances in Future State: Wonder Woman and Future State: Superman/Wonder Woman, a young Yara Flor begins the search for her destiny and connection to the Amazons

It’s orientation day at Titans Tower as Tim Sheridan and Rafa Sandoval introduce a new group of teen heroes (including the future Red X) to the original New Teen Titans, setting the table for the duo’s Teen Titans Academy series in March

The adventures of the Justice League continue (beginning with Justice League #59), now written by Brian Michael Bendis with artist David Marquez, with new JL members, including Black Adam, Hippolyta, and Naomi

Wonder Woman ventures into the "godsphere," creating an exciting new storyline by Becky Cloonan, Michael W. Conrad and Travis Moore, continuing in March's Wonder Woman #770

Award-winning writer Geoff Johns and Todd Nauck tell an all-new Stargirl story

For fans wanting a gateway into the next great era of storytelling, this 64-page oversize one-shot is a guaranteed must-have for March pull lists. Priced at $5.99 for the main cover version and $6.99 for the card stock variant, this book will be available at all comic book stores and participating digital retailers on Tuesday, March 2, 2021.

For more information on Infinite Frontier and the World’s Greatest Super Heroes, visit the DC website at www.dccomics.com and follow on social media @DCComics and @thedcnation.

Here's a press release from DC's participation in a Brazilian comic con:

BIG DC COMIC BOOK NEWS FROM BRAZIL’S CCXP WORLDS EVENT!

DC Future State Panels Reveal New Talent Teams and Titles for 2021

Did you miss the DC comic book panels at Brazil’s CCXP Worlds virtual convention?

Ah Não!

Well, DC’s got you covered with this handy-dandy recap! If you had any worries about the consequences of DC Future State, rest assured that it will pay dividends, with the first of many announcements of new talent teams and series debuting in March.

Here’s what you missed:

Batman Family:

New names will be hitting the mean streets of Gotham City as well! Future State: Harley Quinn writer Stephanie Phillips and artist Riley Rossmo will deliver new adventures of the Clown Princess of Crime in an all-new Harley Quinn ongoing series, launching March 24, 2021.

Following both their story in Detective Comics #1027 and Bruce Wayne’s clandestine battle against The Magistrate in Future State: Dark Detective, award-winning writer Mariko Tamaki and artist Dan Mora will continue the adventures of the Dark Knight and his allies as the new team on Detective Comics, beginning with issue #1034 on March 24, 2021. Not to be outdone, award-winning writer Gene Luen Yang and superstar artist Ivan Reis continue the adventures of the “World’s Finest” in Batman/Superman #16, also on sale March 24, 2021.

Superman/Wonder Woman Family:

New adventures featuring the Amazon warrior princess arrive on March 10, 2021, as co-writers Becky Cloonan, Michael W. Conrad and artist Travis Moore are the new Wonder Woman team, starting with issue #770. In this new story arc, Diana has to endure endless fighting – and partying(?) – as she tries to figure out why she’s in Valhalla, and why nobody seems surprised that she’s there.

Justice League Family:

On March 3, 2021, the Future State: Swamp Thing team of writer Ram V and Mike Perkins will be continuing the adventures of the Protector of the Green in Swamp Thing, a 10-issue limited series. Also on March 3, Peacemaker takes center stage, leading an Amanda Waller-controlled Task Force X in a new Suicide Squad ongoing series, by Future State: Suicide Squad writer Robbie Thompson, with art by Eduardo Pansica. This series starts off with a bang, as Waller sends Peacemaker and Task Force X to recruit its next member – Talon, the master assassin from the Court of Owls. Meanwhile, she has her own hands full as she tries to recruit – Superboy?

Class is in session on March 17, 2021, as the Future State: Teen Titans duo of writer Tim Sherridan and artist Rafa Sandoval join the original Titans – Nightwing, Starfire, Cyborg, Raven and Beast Boy – school a new generation of teenage crimefighters in a new ongoing series, Teen Titans Academy. Pay close attention, because one of these novice heroes will become Red X!

In April, Future State: Green Lantern writer Geoffrey Thorne continues to uphold the oath of the Green Lantern Corps with a new Green Lantern ongoing series.

So, to recap:

March 3, 2021

Suicide Squad #1 – Robbie Thompson/Eduardo Pansica (new ongoing series, team)

Swamp Thing #1 – Ram V/Mike Perkins (new limited series, team)

March 10, 2021

Wonder Woman #770 – Becky Cloonan, Michael W. Conrad/Travis Moore (new team)

March 17, 2021

Teen Titans Academy #1 – Tim Sherridan/Rafa Sandoval (new ongoing series, team)

March 24, 2021

Future State: Superman vs. Imperious Lex #3 (of 3)

Batman/Superman #16 – Gene Luen Yang/Ivan Reis (new talent team)

Detective Comics #1034 – Mariko Tamaki/Dan Mora (new talent team)

Harley Quinn #1 – Stephanie Phillips/Riley Rossmo (new ongoing series, team)

April 2021

Green Lantern #1 – Geoffrey Thorne (new ongoing series, team)

And this only the beginning! DC CONNECT #8, available on March 23, 2021 for free at retailers and via digital download and online reader (https://www.dccomics.com/comics/dc-connect-2020) contains more news from this game-changing two-month event, as it impacts more of the best writers, artists and DC characters in 2021! For the latest information on DC Future State, check out the hub page at www.dccomics.com/futurestate. For information on the World’s Greatest Super Heroes, visit the website at www.dccomics.com, and follow on social media at @DCComics and @thedcnation.

I hadn't really intended to start buying Wonder Woman again, but I've got to admit, Wonder Woman stuck in Valhalla sounds like fun. And I *do* like Cloonan's work, so... 

I was just talking to my wife today about how the Viking heaven wouldn't be really fun for me, since I don't like fighting. But my other options are Hel and Niffleheim, so I guess dying with a sword in my hand is really the only way to go.

The feasting and orgy part would be cool, I guess.

Years ago, a friend told me about a private swim club in New Orleans that had a clothing optional policy for its pool area..."and also, the restaurant makes the BEST mac and cheese." That stuck me as a sign of two conflicting mission statements. I wasn't sure I wanted to see people naked that were tempted by so much mac and cheese.

A couple years later -- after the clothing-optional policy had gone the way of the dodo -- we made it there. We ate at the restaurant one day, and went swimming another. My takeaways: 1) The mac and cheese was every bit as good as advertised. 2) Very few people in the pool area ever went near it. Because whatever your inclination, there was eye candy everywhere you looked. 

No fighting, though. So it was more Elysian fields than Valhalla.

Captain Comics said:

The feasting and orgy part would be cool, I guess.

"The mac and cheese was every bit as good as advertised."

Rob, if you ever make it down to this neck of the woods we'll take to "Fork in the Road" known for their truffled three-cheese macaroni and cheese, "Crack-a-Roni" (so-called because it is as addictive as crack cocaine). 

Oh man, sounds incredible! Count me in! 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service