Finally got around to seeing AVENGERS: ENDGAME last night, and mostly enjoyed it (like almost all the Marvel movies, I loved the early scenes and the character bits, was bored to tears by the big, endless fight at the end). It got me to thinking though, how, in the previous installment, Thanos basically won. Oh he didn't really win, of course, because everything was put right in the next installment; but then, right after, I just happened to read BLACK GOLIATH #4 and... well, I'll be danged to heck if Stilt Man didn't... win.

Here's how it went down: Stilty zapped B.G. and a couple of hostages into another dimension. In #5 he deals with getting out of said dimension, but the comic was, I believe cancelled with that issue. Bill Foster settles up with Stilt Man later in the pages of the CHAMPIONS, but I'd call that a delayed rematch more than an immediate continuation of the previous story. (Unless I'm remembering wrong. Those CHAMPS issues are fuzzy in my noggin.)  So in a medium where the bad guys never win, chalk up a win for, of all people, Stilt Man. I'd also declare Kraven, in KRAVEN'S LAST HUNT the winner. Sure, he died at the end, but it was by his own hand, entirely on his own terms, after he'd completely and inarguably achieved all of his goals.

So, gang, can anyone think of any other instances where the supervillain won? I mean really won?

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Sure. Mephisto wiped out all memory of Peter and Mary Jane's Parker's daughter.

• The graphic novel Avengers: Emperor Doom. Doom totally won. He conquered the world, and found out what it feels like when you're the dog who catches the car. 

• In issue #121 (1968) the Doom Patrol sacrificed themselves to save the town of Codsville, Maine from General Zahl and Madame Rouge.  Robotman reappeared in 1977 and there have been reboots since, but it looks like the bad guys won this one, although the town was saved and renamed Four Heroes.

• That's the first one that leaped to mind for me, but I sometimes get it confused with the Supervillain Team-Up #14/Champions #16 story where Doom wins. But I don't remember how that one ended.

ClarkKent_DC said:

The graphic novel Avengers: Emperor Doom. Doom totally won. He conquered the world, and found out what it feels like when you're the dog who catches the car. 

• The first Civil War series is probably the most notable example (I refuse to say the best one).  Captain America and his team surrenders which sets a whole series of unfortunate events in motion, culminating in Norman frikkin Osborn being considered a hero by the general public.  Osborn deals the killing blow to the Skrulls in Secret Invasion which leads to him becoming Director of S.H.I.E.L.D.  So I would say SI could be too; the Skrulls didn't win but the MU became a much darker place with Osborn having his fingers in everything.

Please note, the interest I have in discussing those two "events" in further detail is less than zero.

• John Dunbar said:

The first Civil War series is probably the most notable example (I refuse to say the best one).  Captain America and his team surrenders which sets a whole series of unfortunate events in motion, culminating in Norman frikkin Osborn being considered a hero by the general public.  Osborn deals the killing blow to the Skrulls in Secret Invasion which leads to him becoming Director of S.H.I.E.L.D.  So I would say SI could be too; the Skrulls didn't win but the MU became a much darker place with Osborn having his fingers in everything.

Please note, the interest I have in discussing those two "events" in further detail is less than zero.

Hey, you already told me more about Secret Invasion that I ever knew ... or wanted to.

• The Korvac saga that ran in Avengers basically ends with Korvac winning the battle against the Avengers until he has a change of heart.

If you consider Watchmen a DC comic then you could say the bad guy wins. Although in this case the "bad guy" is also a former "hero" who saves the world in Machiavellian fashion.

• Detective 445 said:

If you consider Watchmen a DC comic then you could say the bad guy wins. Although in this case the "bad guy" is also a former "hero" who saves the world in Machiavellian fashion.

The ending sets up the whole thing falling apart because of Rorschach's diary.

• "Please note, the interest I have in discussing those two "events" in further detail is less than zero."

"Hey, you already told me more about Secret Invasion that I ever knew ... or wanted to."

Same here. I'm so glad both are out of continuity on e\Earth-J.

This reply was deleted.