DC Rebirth (and Beyond) Reviews for Sept. 28, 2016

REBIRTH

ACTION COMICS #964

Written by DAN JURGENS

Art by PATRICK ZIRCHER

Cover by CLAY MANN and SETH MANN

Variant cover by GARY FRANK

32 pg • FC • $2.99 U.S. • RATED T

“WHO IS CLARK KENT?” part 2! Superman comes face to face with Clark Kent, and he wants answers! But first the Man of Steel must protect his former alter ego. Clark Kent tells all in this shocking issue! And don’t miss the return of a ghost from Smallville past…

We get some answers to the question of Clark Kent ... but only a few, and do we believe them? The characters in the book don't, so suspicions linger.

I hope that's not a Spoiler -- it's not like we're going to get every answer all at once. So the question is, "Is Dan Jurgens playing out the reel in a way that keeps us hooked?" Speaking for myself, that's a big yes. I used to think Action Comics was DC's most boring book -- one starring the character who changes the least in a book where he can't change at all, and often in truncated stories to make room for a back-up -- but this Rebirth Action Comics is nothing like that. It's dynamic, it's got a strong supporting cast that continues to grow and it has mysteries whose solutions keep changing what we think we know.

That's good comics.

BATMAN BEYOND: REBIRTH #1

Publisher: DC COMICS

Written by DAN JURGENS

Art and cover by RYAN SOOK

Variant cover by MARTIN ANSIN

Six months have passed since the events of BATMAN BEYOND #16. While areas of destruction remain in the outside world, Gotham City has made great strides toward reclaiming its bright future. But new threats arise and old adversaries may be coming back. And the question still remains: whatever happened to Bruce Wayne?

I may have mentioned I'm not much of a Batman Beyond fan. If I want to read Batman, I've got several books to choose from -- and "Batman Jr. in the Future" isn't among them. I have no sense of who Terry McGinnis is, and after a lot of exposure to him, I'm not interested in finding out.

And I haven't read the last series or two, so some of the changes since the TV show ended are mysteries to me (but obviously not to the characters or regular readers). And I don't care much for the art, which goes for a rough-edged cartoony style that I guess is supposed to be apocalyptic-y. None of these things endear me to the book.

And bottom line: Why is the Bat-suit futuristic in this future world? Shouldn't everybody have similar tech -- advanced to us, but commonplace in the future? Wouldn't the Jokerz have acquired tech to break Batman's invisibility, or radar to track him, or weapons capable of penetrating his armor? That they don't damages my belief in this world.

Despite all that, I read the entire book, and wasn't displeased. There's a heckuva twist ending as well. If that's enough for you -- or you find yourselves disagreeing with my disagreements above -- this might be your jam.

BLUE BEETLE #1

Written by KEITH GIFFEN

Art and cover by SCOTT KOLINS

Variant cover by CULLY HAMNER

Jaime Reyes is back home, but just when he thought he had a grasp on this alter ego, the Blue Beetle, he discovers everything he believed about his scarab is a lie according to the mysterious Doctor Fate. With dire warnings about the symbiote that is fused to Reyes’ spine, Kent Nelson, the original wielder of Doctor Fate’s power, seemingly on verge of insanity, has he come to save Jaime as he claims ... or will he try to eliminate the Blue Beetle, no matter the cost?

As I've mentioned, I like that they are raising the possibility that the scarab is of earthly origin, and is specifically a mystical object from ancient Egypt. I don't know how that can possibly jibe with the scarab's origin in the previous series, but I prefer it, because it ties the Jaime Reyes Beetle not only to Dr. Fate (who seems to be edging into supporting-character territory) but also the Dan Garret Blue Beetle at Charlton, who was the inspiration for the Ted Kord Beetle. So they're ALL connected, from Charlton on, and I'm sure that can be worked back to the Fox Beetle too with minor effort (but it's not required).

I'm iffy on the light-hearted art and I'm not happy with Ted Kord acting out of character and I've never cared much for the Reyes supporting cast. But the possibilities are growing that this could be a lot more than a teen-hero-learns-the-ropes story, one that weaves a new mythology out of existing pieces within the overarching DC Universe that is both new and old -- one that seems as if it's been there all along, and we just didn't notice it.

That would make me a Blue Beetle fan.

DETECTIVE COMICS #941

Written by STEVE ORLANDO and JAMES TYNION IV

Art by ANDY MACDONALD

Cover by YANICK PAQUETTE

Variant cover by RAFAEL ALBUQUERQUE

“Night Of The Monster Men” part 3!

Batman and Batwoman take to the streets in a motorcycle death race against a monster that transforms faster than they can keep up! And at Blackgate, something truly terrifying is growing in the prison’s darkest depths … and its eggs are hatching!

The first two parts of "Night of the Monster Men" were terrific, so I'm looking forward to Part 3. Then Parts 4-5 are next week, and Part 6 the following week. I love twice-monthly shipping!

Especially since this is such a strong story. Our heroes are physically outmatched, but even while in terrible danger are still doing the basic detective work that tells them where these monsters are coming from. And they're forced to split up -- never a good move -- but Batman's field decisions make sense.

However, despite all their effort and preparation, the twist ending opens up a new whole can of terrible.  This is fun!

I've mentioned before that I like MacDonald's work, but I should also mention that any book with Albuquerque or Paquette covers is going to catch your eye.

TEEN TITANS: REBIRTH #1

Written by BENJAMIN PERCY

Art and cover by JONBOY MEYERS

Variant cover by EVAN “DOC” SHANER

The Teen Titans are farther apart than ever before … until Damian Wayne recruits Starfire, Raven, Beast Boy and the new Kid Flash to join him in a fight against his own grandfather, Ra’s al Ghul! But true leadership is more than just calling the shots -- is Robin really up to the task? Or will the Teen Titans dismiss this diminutive dictator?

This issue doesn't answer my question about Starfire and Beast Boy (they can't still be teens, can they?), but it's a "getting the band back together story" which doesn't have time for niceties like that. What it does have time for is bringing these characters together in a way that promises us a Titans team like none we've seen before. Sure, the costumes and names are familiar, but the folks inside those costumes -- and their interactions with each other -- is a whole 'nother thing.

FROSTBITE #1

Written by JOSHUA WILLIAMSON

Art and cover by JASON SHAWN ALEXANDER

32 pg, FC, 1 of 6, $3.99 US • MATURE READERS

Long after Earth has entered its second ice age, humanity has learned to cope with the frozen elements. In this cold and bleak future, heat is power, and brutal gangs roam the icy wasteland looking for it. If that wasn’t enough, a terrible disease nicknamed “frostbite” is literally freezing people from the inside out. Once you catch it, the effect is instantaneous. There is no immunity, there is no cure.

Until now. Doctor Henry Bonham and his daughter Victoria have found the key to ending frostbite. If they can get from Mexico City to a secret government outpost in Alcatraz, they could stabilize life across the globe. But to do that they’ll need to stay alive. That’s where Keaton comes in. She and her crew have faced worse journeys before, but never with the potential consequences this one poses if they fail.

A new miniseries from acclaimed writer Joshua Williamson (The Flash: Rebirth; Nailbiter) and artist Jason Shawn Alexander (Empty Zone; BATMAN: ARKHAM CITY), FROSTBITE is a science-fiction action miniseries unlike any other.

I joked earlier that these post-apocalypse stories should feature an Earth that was too hot, not one that's too cold -- and wouldn't you know it, this first issue actually addresses that. Well done.

As for the story, it sketches out our main characters well and sets up the central dilemma, while crafting a thought-out, consistent world that make sense -- basically what a first issue should do, but many don't. I'm interested in this world and this story, and will be back. That's another thing a first issue is supposed to do, and this one does well.

The art is attractive and detailed, and moves the story along smartly.

THE HELLBLAZER #2

Written by SIMON OLIVER

Art and cover by MORITAT

Variant cover by JOHN CASSADAY

32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T+

“THE POISON TRUTH” part 2! No one likes rejection—least of all John Constantine. But even if three’s a crowd, he’s going to find a way to get involved in Swamp Thing’s hunt for Abigail Arcane!

This book is off to a fast start, and it's already a better one than his last few series. (The less said about the New 52 Constantine, the better.) We've got Swamp Thing, John in London, Chaz behind the wheel, lots of folks who really hate our Johnny (and always with good reason), and plenty of JC's trademark snark. Perfect!

SUICIDE SQUAD #3

Written by ROB WILLIAMS

Art and cover by JIM LEE and SCOTT WILLIAMS

Variant cover by LEE BERMEJO

32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T+

“THE BLACK VAULT” part 3! It looks like a well-deserved day off for the Suicide Squad—until things go off the rails when the bizarre energies of the dark sphere Amanda Waller’s team brought back slowly drive everyone in Belle Reve Penitentiary to acts of violent, bloody madness. Everyone except the crown princess of crazy, Harley Quinn, who’s somehow been…cured?

The death last issue hasn't been un-done yet, so maybe it will be true for a while. That would be cool, and raises the stakes a little.

WONDER WOMAN #7

Written by GREG RUCKA

Art and cover by LIAM SHARP

Variant cover by TBD

32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T

“THE LIES” part 4! One god down—how many more to go? Diana takes another step closer to the truth, and Steve Trevor confronts his past!

Hmmm. I didn't get all out of this issue promised by that blurb, but I did enjoy it. Steve, Diana and iffy ally Cheetah deal with some sort of deity, although I was a bit unclear on who or what he was. But the main progress is in the Cheetah story, which promises to be nothing we've seen before.

That's good stuff, especially with the flawless Liam Sharp art. I'd read this book without word balloons, it's so good.

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I read the Blue Beetle "Rebirth" issue. If Bruce Wayne gets a bad rap for bringing young boys into dangerous battle situations, Ted Cord goes him one better by sending one to fight in his stead.

• I guess that was the only way they could make fans of both Beetles happy.

• I didn't realize that Terry was still alive.

• Updated! I finally found the time for some review-ish words.

This reply was deleted.