The May issues of the Convergence crossovers each include an 8-page preview of one of the new or returning titles DC will be publishing in June. They're also all available to read for free, both on Comixology and here on the DC website. The stories aren't part of the June issues -- they pretty much stand alone, and won't be reprinted until the first trade paperbacks of the new series. 

I haven't read them all yeat, but so far there've been a few series I was already interested in -- Starfire, Prez -- as well as a few whose previews were strong enough that they've piqued my interest on books I was planning to pass up -- things like Omega Men and Midnighter. 

Have you read these? Do any of them excite you? Any surprise you? Do any turn you off completely? (I'm surprised The Omega Men doesn't have a panel devoted to DC's new address with a "send hate mail here" message.)

The first wave of previews are:

Starfire

Detective Comics

Section 8

Midnighter

Green Lantern

Green Arrow

Doomed

Red Hood/Arsenal

Omega Men

Prez

Views: 440

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

She did, but she also got better years ago, pre-New 52. Shortly after GL: Rebirth. 

(I think the same could be said about Kilowog, actually.)

Was he one of the Green Lanterns Hal Jordan killed when he was crazy?

I think so. But IIRC, I read that story in a friend's dorm on a morning  when I was as hungover as I've ever been, and never returned to it. But that's my impression. 

I've read a few more of this week's previews: Aquaman seems like it's taken a turn for the grim again, which limits my interest enough that even the nice-looking Trevor McCarthy art won't draw me in.

Doomed, from last week, actually looks like a lot of fun. It's got a real teen Hulk vibe to it -- the kid's incapable of speech when he transforms, and therefor hasn't been able to explain his good intentions. I doubt I'll be buying it, but it looks like a good time.

Bat-Mite looks fine, but didn't make me laugh. I like that the premise of his series is that he'll be trying to "improve" other DCU heroes, though. I might pick up the Flash issue as a tryout.

Dr. Fate as an Egyptian med student who operates out of the Brooklyn Museum seems like a solid premise, and Paul Levitz and Sonny Liew establish things well in these pages. What we've seen so far looks a bit like DC's answer to Kamala Kahn, but I'm sure the series will grow beyond that as it develops the Dr. Fate angle. Also, it's great to see Paul Levitz paired with an artist who doesn't draw in the traditional superhero style.  

Bat-Mite is moving on to annoy other heroes? I'm sure Batman will be crushed.

I thought this seemed like a decent start as long as they do something good with it. It has potential, but this preview hasn't really shown it yet. The writing isn't bad (pretty vanilla, though), but the artwork is really good. This is the kind of different take on Dr. Fate that, to me, is the only way a title like this one could be successful.

I remember thinking, back when I saw a cover of 52 featuring the character, that a book called Calling Dr. Fate, with mostly one-issue stories (a la Jonah Hex at the time), each one featuring a case. Occasionally you would get a two or three part story, but never more than that. Each issue (or little arc) would be done by a different artist.

Hell, I still think it's a good idea...

Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) said:

Dr. Fate as an Egyptian med student who operates out of the Brooklyn Museum seems like a solid premise, and Paul Levitz and Sonny Liew establish things well in these pages. What we've seen so far looks a bit like DC's answer to Kamala Kahn, but I'm sure the series will grow beyond that as it develops the Dr. Fate angle. Also, it's great to see Paul Levitz paired with an artist who doesn't draw in the traditional superhero style.  

It's a *great* idea!

I've read a bunch of these over the weekend. Aside from some things totally perplexing to someone who hasn't read much DC recently--Guy Gardner is a woman now?--they all look pretty good. Dr. Fate is probably the one most down my alley, and I thought it was a good setup. I rather liked the humor titles (Bat-Mite and Bizarro, at least so far). They were at least worth a few chuckles, and it's nice to see that DC can still do light-hearted.

One other thing. There's a common design element of having captions in light type over a dark background, sometimes with an additional logo (like the bat symbol) behind the type, like a watermark. They look good on the page, but my Kindle Fire really has trouble displaying them so they're readable. You would think DC might have given the tablet display more consideration in the design.

Haven't finished catching up on the previous weeks, but i read two from this week: Constantine: The Hellblazer and The Flash. Constantine has a definite old Hellblazer feel. John's a chain-smoking bastard, and there's demons. I'm not keen on Riley Rossmo's art--too cartoony for horror--but it might grow on me. It usually does, if the storytelling is good. The Flash seems to be following the TV show in general. But Barry is the old look blonde with a crewcut, his cop stepfather is white, and we don't see Iris in the story.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service