Holy cow -- DC is revamping a bunch of HB properties for comics with top creators (including Jim Lee, Amanda Palmer and Darwyn Cooke!). I'll pass on the Scooby book (nothing's gonna beat Scooby Doo Team-Up), but I've got a lot of faith in the Flintstones and Future Quest teams. And a Fury Road-style Wacky Races? Whatever news I was expecting today, it wasn't this.

Entertainment Weekly has the scoop.

Views: 1292

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I did! Great stuff.

Captain Comics said:

Strangely enough, I think part of the reason I didn't go for Wacky Raceland was that I didn't remember the source material well enough. I have hazy memories of loving the show as a kid, but I couldn't remember many of the particulars. I remembered Dick Dastardly and Muttley, Penelope Pitstop, and the little guys (who the comic reminded me were called the Anthill Mob). So I just didn't recognize too many of the concepts that they were taking over the top. If I had, I probably would have connected with it more.

ClarkKent_DC said:

A while back I visited a new-ish comics shop; it was celebrating its one-year anniversary of being open by selling EVERYTHING in the store at 50% off!

Among the things I picked up was the first three issues of Wacky Raceland. Good for you if you liked it, Wandering Sensei, but I think because I remember the source material, I couldn't appreciate it at all. Goofy adventure race turned into bleak Mad-Max post-apocalyptic drama?  photo thumbdown.gif

Good stuff, Cap.

Captain Comics said:

Aaaaaaaaand.....

one gritty reimagining of the Banana Splits, coming up!

JD DeLuzio said:

Forgot about this thread. As I posted in the "everything" one earlier, I joked some years ago here about a hypothetical "gritty re-imagining of the Banana Splits" as the ultimate ridiculous thing they'd never do.

But, as Rob said, Green Lantern/Space Ghost makes a kind of sense. And while it would require a Marvel crossover, I think the Fantastic Four would work well with the Herculoids.

The Baron said:

Apparently, there's going to be a string of DC/HB crossovers.  I'm up for the Suicide Squad/Banana Splits crossover, myself.

I read the article on the other side of the link JD.

Apparently the movie is casting the Splits in a role similar to the Scooby Gang, but I'm uncertain how they might be presenting the murders, a crime those "meddling kids and their dog" never tackled.

But overall, in my humble opinion, except for Future Quest, DC's H-B revival attempts have been pretty banal so far. There were a few good moments here and there, but at the average price of $3.99 an issue, I feel the need for there to be more than moments in any comic book nowadays.

Still wondering if there will be more DC H-B in the future, especially with the adventure line.

I would love for them to tackle The Pirates of Dark Water, H-B's last attempt at a "serious" (the quotes are because what H-B superhero/adventure production didn't have a comedic bit here and there?) adventure series before the company got bought out in the 1990s.

Right. Murder and an apparent "horror movie" seems pretty dark territory for a bunch of psychedelic Furries best-remembered for telling dumb jokes and introducing Danger Island. As for DC's H-B, Future Quest had a good concept, and I thought the Flintstones had some nice satiric moments, but not enough to keep me reading. DC's non-edgy, true-to-the-source versions of the Scooby Gang (not the gritty version) seem to be their biggest success with H-B characters.

Lee Houston, Junior said:

I read the article on the other side of the link JD.

Apparently the movie is casting the Splits in a role similar to the Scooby Gang, but I'm uncertain how they might be presenting the murders, a crime those "meddling kids and their dog" never tackled.

But overall, in my humble opinion, except for Future Quest, DC's H-B revival attempts have been pretty banal so far. There were a few good moments here and there, but at the average price of $3.99 an issue, I feel the need for there to be more than moments in any comic book nowadays.

Still wondering if there will be more DC H-B in the future, especially with the adventure line.

I would love for them to tackle The Pirates of Dark Water, H-B's last attempt at a "serious" (the quotes are because what H-B superhero/adventure production didn't have a comedic bit here and there?) adventure series before the company got bought out in the 1990s.

I loved the Flintstones comic -- for me, it was one of the high points of the past few years. I liked Snagglepuss Chronicles, too, from the same writer (though it didn't grab me as much as Flintstones did. And the superhero crossovers have been fun, but of varying quality. (But for me, the Banana Splits/Suicide Squad team-up was one of the standouts!)

Future Quest I liked more in concept than in execution, and I passed on Future Quest Presents, though maybe I'll go back to pick up those issues someday.   

The lead story in Batman/Elmer Fudd was impressive.

Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) said:

I loved the Flintstones comic -- for me, it was one of the high points of the past few years. I liked Snagglepuss Chronicles, too, from the same writer (though it didn't grab me as much as Flintstones did. And the superhero crossovers have been fun, but of varying quality. (But

Oh, absolutely -- that's the best of the weird crossover bunch by a long shot. But that's Loony Tunes, not Hanna-Barbera. 

Ha! I googled the thread to find my reference to the Banana Splits! Thread is so old, I was thinking of it as a DC/Toon Crossover thread, rather than.... So, yeah.

Confusing Loony Tunes and Hanna-Barbera is, I recognize, a cartoon gaffe of the first order!

Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) said:

Oh, absolutely -- that's the best of the weird crossover bunch by a long shot. But that's Loony Tunes, not Hanna-Barbera. 

Well, DC has been treating them exactly the same way with the crossovers -- 5th weeks, four one-shot teamups. It's more a case of forgetting what the name of the thread was than thinking Elmer Fudd was an H-B character. 

The Flintstones and the Elmer Fudd/Batman are the two highlights of that whole thing for me too. Jeez, they were both just amazing.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service