HEROES IN CRISIS EXPANDS TO NINE ISSUES

Artists Lee Weeks and Mitch Gerads Join Tom King and Clay Mann in Revealing More Secrets of Sanctuary

Beginning September 26, Eisner Award-winner Tom King’s new limited series, HEROES IN CRISIS, introduces a new generation of readers to the concept of a “Crisis” within the DC Universe. This time, instead of a reality-ending event, this crisis is ripped from real-world headlines: How do superheroes handle PTSD? How do DC’s Trinity—Batman, Wonder Woman and Superman—handle the traumas and anxieties of fighting crime and saving the world, over and over again? And what happens when the safeguards that have been in place for years, fail?

First announced as a seven-issue series by Tom King and artist Clay Mann, HEROES IN CRISIS now expands to nine issues, with King collaborators Lee Weeks and Mitch Gerads providing art for the added issues. These issues will provide added insight into King and Mann’s epic tale, with Weeks (BATMAN/ELMER FUDD) handling art duties for issue #3 and Eisner award-winning Gerads (MISTER MIRACLE) providing art for issue #7.

HEROES IN CRISIS #1, written by Tom King, art by Clay Mann and Tomeu Morey, lettered by Clayton Cowles and edited by Jamie S. Rich and Brittany Holzherr, hits shelves September 26.

Views: 766

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Philip Portelli said:

After Booster Gold's guest shot in King's Batman #45-47, I hope that he can "repair" him because he totally destroyed the character! Any good thoughts about him was erased in that arc.

I didn't see that story. What happened?

Short version: Booster (as a wedding gift) travels back in time and prevents Batman's parents from being murdered so there is NO Batman and Bruce is a millionaire playboy. But Batman's enemies still exist, the world is in ruins and this Bruce prevents Booster from going back to the original timeline.

Chaos and Death follow and Booster Gold is a greater threat than any villain could possibly be!

Philip Portelli said:

Short version: Booster (as a wedding gift) travels back in time and prevents Batman's parents from being murdered so there is NO Batman and Bruce is a millionaire playboy. But Batman's enemies still exist, the world is in ruins and this Bruce prevents Booster from going back to the original timeline.

Chaos and Death follow and Booster Gold is a greater threat than any villain could possibly be!

That would seem to blow holes in the theory that Batman's villains exist only because Batman exists, doesn't it? 

Captain Comics said:

Bleeding Cool says that the original choice for the big bump-off was another New 52 Teen Titan who makes psychic bricks. I've already forgotten his name. Bricklayer? Mason? Ridiculous-Power Lad? But that character was of color and gay, and Snyder was told they couldn't kill the only one of those they had. 

The wonderful comedy show 30 Rock had a character who was a gay black man. They wryly called him Toofer.

ClarkKent_DC said:

That would seem to blow holes in the theory that Batman's villains exist only because Batman exists, doesn't it? 

The first thing I thought of!

I never subscribed to that theory because, as I remember the original stories from a Bronze Age perspective, it wasn't true. Just using the major villains as examples:

• Ra's Al Ghul existed way before Batman was born.
  • As the Red Hood, the Joker had a specific goal that didn't involve Batman. Yes he got disfigured when Batman chased him but all the actions were his own. It could have been the police trying to stop him as well.
  • Both the Penguin and Catwoman had criminal careers that preceded, if not started around the same time as Batman's.
  • The original Clayface was much older than Batman.

Two-Face was not "created" by Batman but if he wasn't there, Dent might have been blinded or died.

The Riddler needs someone to challenge him, but it wasn't a compulsion at the beginning.

Deadshot, Cat-Man and Killer Moth all wanted to either copy or replace Batman.

Man-Bat is by far the strongest example of that!

That could be a nice storyline, but not in Batman's solo book (which will, after all, spotlight Batman).

A few characters, notably Nightwing, Killer Moth and Man-Bat, may well fail to exist in a timeline without Batman. Joker and Two-Face would still exist.

Maybe Wildcat, Mr. Terrifit or even Huntress would arise to the occasion?  Someone would end up investigating the death of the Flying Graysons.  Could Dick Grayson become a policeman?  Or the protegé of, say, Dr. Midnight?

As for Booster Gold, I fear that he is one of several characters to suffer from a bipolarity of presentation that goes back to the early issues of the Keith Giffen JL (later JLI).  He was flawed yet admirable, a well-rounded personality, in the hands of his creator Dan Jurgens.  He was quite a different character when wrtten by Giffen and J.M. DeMatteis, with a much sillier personality and hardly any clear goals.  Apparently DC tends to credit the Giffen/DeMatteis take on the character as more representative than Jurgens', much to my disappointment.

...Can't Roy relapse but develop, instead of the big H. an opioid (Percocet/Oxy/et al) Jones? Topical!:-)

"In other words, a character no one gives a crap about."

Chris Fluit might.

When I read issue #1 yesterday I had never heard of "Hotshot," but Tom King made him likeable in a few panels. I do remember Joto, however, and enjoyed the Jurgens/Perez version of Teen Titans.

You're on to something, EKDJ: Roy's page in Heroes in Crisis explains that opioids are now what eventually led Roy to heroin.

I read where this was meant to allude to Treyvon Martin.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

"In other words, a character no one gives a crap about."

Chris Fluit might.

When I read issue #1 yesterday I had never heard of "Hotshot," but Tom King made him likeable in a few panels. I do remember Joto, however, and enjoyed the Jurgens/Perez version of Teen Titans.

I read that article on CBR; it was speculation on the author's part (and honestly seemed like an attempt to gin up some outraged clicks). As far as I know, King and Mann haven't said that was to be the case. It seems like a stretch to me, given the circumstances of the deaths don't have much to do with each other.  

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service