DC's 'Heroes in Crisis'

HEROES IN CRISIS EXPANDS TO NINE ISSUES

Artists Lee Weeks and Mitch Gerads Join Tom King and Clay Mann in Revealing More Secrets of Sanctuary

Beginning September 26, Eisner Award-winner Tom King’s new limited series, HEROES IN CRISIS, introduces a new generation of readers to the concept of a “Crisis” within the DC Universe. This time, instead of a reality-ending event, this crisis is ripped from real-world headlines: How do superheroes handle PTSD? How do DC’s Trinity—Batman, Wonder Woman and Superman—handle the traumas and anxieties of fighting crime and saving the world, over and over again? And what happens when the safeguards that have been in place for years, fail?

First announced as a seven-issue series by Tom King and artist Clay Mann, HEROES IN CRISIS now expands to nine issues, with King collaborators Lee Weeks and Mitch Gerads providing art for the added issues. These issues will provide added insight into King and Mann’s epic tale, with Weeks (BATMAN/ELMER FUDD) handling art duties for issue #3 and Eisner award-winning Gerads (MISTER MIRACLE) providing art for issue #7.

HEROES IN CRISIS #1, written by Tom King, art by Clay Mann and Tomeu Morey, lettered by Clayton Cowles and edited by Jamie S. Rich and Brittany Holzherr, hits shelves September 26.

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• From what I've read, the two "major" characters predicted to die in this series are a Teen Titan I don't know named Hotspot and Roy Harper, known as Speedy, Arsenal and Red Arrow at various times.

Given how they've Hawkman-ized Roy Harper in recent years, it might be simplest to kill him off, rather than try to unsnarl his continuity. And there certainly is no lack of archer-sidekick replacements -- most, or all of them, female.

Of Hotspot I know nothing.

• Per the ever-reliable Wikipedia:

"Isaiah Crockett (currently known as Hot Spot, formerly Joto, and originally named Slagger) is a fictional character in publications from DC Comics. The character is a superhero and a former member of the Teen Titans."

• In other words, a character no one gives a crap about.

• Sorry, that was probably a little harsh, wasn't it?

The Baron said:

In other words, a character no one gives a crap about.

• I expect they will try to make the readers care about this character before they bump him off.

There's precedent: Back in the day, Marv Wolfman introduced Kole in The New Teen Titans with the intention of killing her off later in Crisis On Infinite Earths.

• Oh. I was supposed to care about Kole?  Oops.

ClarkKent_DC said:

I expect they will try to make the readers care about this character before they bump him off.

There's precedent: Back in the day, Marv Wolfman introduced Kole in The New Teen Titans with the intention of killing her off later in Crisis On Infinite Earths.

• I had the same reaction about Kole, Baron, when I found out I was supposed to be upset that Kole was killed. Maybe word for word!

Bleeding Cool says that the original choice for the big bump-off was another New 52 Teen Titan who makes psychic bricks. I've already forgotten his name. Bricklayer? Mason? Ridiculous-Power Lad? But that character was of color and gay, and Snyder was told they couldn't kill the only one of those they had. So he went for Hot Spot instead.

Say, could Hot Spot be a walking Wi-Fi connection? That would be cool!

Anyway, from the sound of these characters, I may have saved a few brain cells by not reading New 52 Teen Titans.

• I recall these early 90s Teen Titans who were a step up from the Team Titans bunch, though not by much. The biggest appeal to me was that they had a teen-ified Ray (the Atom) Palmer on the team, though he would later regain his true age.

They used the girls, Argent and Prism because they needed "super" girls to do the crossovers much like Mirage. 

Joto/Hotspot did make it to the Teen Titans animated series and got an action figure.

Speedy might well qualify as a mercy killing!

1936988955?profile=original

• I assumed Hot Spot was a New 52 character, as I didn't think I knew him -- but there he is, in a book I have and presumably read. I wasn't a big fan of that period, though.

• The 90s Titans in all their incarnations were all attempts to recapture the excitement of the New Teen Titans but with different characters who were not as interesting as the originals: Pantha, Red Star, Wildebeest, Redwing, Mirage, Kilowatt, Nightrider, Risk, Argent, Prysm, Joto, all became fodder for the crossovers. In Team Titans' case, literally in Zero Hour!

And by this time, all the original Titans had new codenames: Nightwing, Flash III, Tempest, Troia and Arsenal.

Captain Comics said:

I assumed Hot Spot was a New 52 character, as I didn't think I knew him -- but there he is, in a book I have and presumably read. I wasn't a big fan of that period, though.

This reply was deleted.