PRESS RELEASE

FAMILIAR FACES RETURN TO THE TIMELINE FOR SEASON THREE OF DC’S LEGENDS OF TOMORROW

Neal McDonough, Arthur Darvill and Wentworth Miller Will Be Back as

Damien Darhk, Rip Hunter and Captain Cold, Respectively

BURBANK, Calif. (July 22, 2017) — The time-traveling DC’s Legends of Tomorrow (Tuesdays 9/8c The CW) team will meet some familiar faces as they set about trying to “fix time” in the DC Super Hero series’ third season.

Wentworth Miller and Arthur Darvill (as former Legends Leonard Snart/Captain Cold and Rip Hunter, respectively) will appear in the upcoming season as recurring guest stars, and Neal McDonough returns as a series regular, reprising his role as smug villain Damien Darhk…and a former member of last season’s Legion of Doom.

Based on the characters from DC, DC’s Legends of Tomorrow is from Berlanti Productions in association with Warner Bros. Television. Executive produced by Greg Berlani, Marc Guggenheim, Andrew Kreisberg, Phil Klemmer and Sarah Schechter, the series returns for season three on Tuesday, October 10, at 9/8c on The CW.

Views: 658

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yeah, the premise of this one was pretty dodgy.

But I realized something fun as I was watching Ray conduct an impromptu funeral for a rat...Legends of Tomorrow is built on the same foundations as the Giffen/DeMatteis Justice League. We're getting adventures that vary in silliness or severity, but all the while are underpinned by broad character-based humor. There's a lot of Guy Gardner in Mick Rory, and a fair bit of Blue Beetle in Ray Palmer -- but even more than a one-to-one character correspondence, there's just an embrace of silliness that other shows don't do, at least not to the same extent. Think about how funny Damian Dahrk has been lately -- he's the same character that was on Arrow, but much goofier.      

Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) said:

Yeah, the premise of this one was pretty dodgy.

But I realized something fun as I was watching Ray conduct an impromptu funeral for a rat...Legends of Tomorrow is built on the same foundations as the Giffen/DeMatteis Justice League. We're getting adventures that vary in silliness or severity, but all the while are underpinned by broad character-based humor. There's a lot of Guy Gardner in Mick Rory, and a fair bit of Blue Beetle in Ray Palmer -- but even more than a one-to-one character correspondence, there's just an embrace of silliness that other shows don't do, at least not to the same extent. Think about how funny Damian Dahrk has been lately -- he's the same character that was on Arrow, but much goofier.      

I'm all for that. I'll buy the Giffen/DeMatteis Justice League parallel, and that approach is working for this show. I don't watch Arrow, so I can't compare how Damien Darkh is on that show, but last week's Legends of Tomorrow episode let Neal McDonough give us the menace and the goofiness in that character. Wally West's integration with the team worked for me, and Sara's dalliance with Ava Sharpe was handled well. And Sharpe's goofy fellow agent is fun; he might as well change his name to "Shut Up, Gary."

Overall, I'm enjoying the show more than I did. This week's ep with Elvis was just a clunker.

Yeah, I agree about that. I was looking forward to the episode, but even discounting extra-textual things like the presence of Chuck Berry and Little Richard in history, I just didn't buy Elvis's preacher uncle's change of heart due to Wally's speech, and while I'm not a religious person at all, "Amazing Grace" in a church doesn't seem like a good song or setting for a couple's dance. The main plot just didn't work that well, even if the jokes around it -- Nate's lost hairstyle, Trombone Hero, Josh Grobin -- were fun. I'd have also liked to have seen the Robert Johnson connection played up, rather than just a name drop. 

It also would've been great if the show could have afforded the rights to one more Elvis song beyond "That's All Right," so they could hint a little at its musical gestation (even if it would be anachronistic for the time). There was some sniffing around "Jailhouse Rock" in the dialogue, but it would have been great if we could have caught a few notes of it -- just enough to know what it would turn into down the road.

Just watched the episode. Kinda clunky. once again we have integration when and where it wasn't allowed. 

The main virtue of using "Amazing Grace" was probably that it is public domain. 

I think it's pretty well established that the Legends broke Time (and Darkh is messing around with it even more).  That's a "Get Out of Jail Free" card for the writers for every goof and anachronism. 

Word is Matt Ryan will be a full cast member as John Constantine next season -- if the show gets another season: "If ‘Legends of Tomorrow’ Is Renewed, a Fan Favorite Will Join the ...

It's surprising how well Constantine meshes with the JLI...um, I mean, the Legends. The bit with the chicken on Monday's episode ("gig economy") and the bit about the spell to find the time ship -- "There's no ancient spell to find a spaceship that's been lost in the timestream. It's not like I'm Doctor Wumbly Wibbly, or whatever." "Who?" "Who?" "EXACTLY." -- were a lot of fun. 

Ray gets a couple of good lines in this one, including a reference to Orphan Black.

I finally caught up to the Elvis episode. Having lived in Memphis most of my life, it should have been pretty familiar territory -- but they were playing fast and loose with some of this stuff. If nothing else, Elvis' first recording was manifestly NOT "I'm Gone, Mama." 

But I give a big "eh" to all of that. It's a TV show, not a history primer. If I can swallow black people and white people dancing together in Memphis in a white church in 1954 without starting a literal riot, I can buy anything. I mean, we're already beyond any reality I know.

But there was a lot of bad writing. I agree with Rob that the uncle's change of heart wasn't convincing. I also don't know how Nate knew where the ghosts came from when he got out of jail -- did he even know about that graveyard? He hadn't been to that church yet. And besides, the song was coming out of the radio, so wouldn't ghosts be rising from EVERY graveyard?

And,oh, ick, the dead brother thing. Elvis' brother was a twin who was STILLBORN. He did not look like a greaser with a guitar. He never got any older than nine-month-old fetus, so Elvis' love of his dead brother is gross and the brother's ghost should look like a dead baby and I'm going to stop now.

And why did the ghost rat change size when the others ghosts didn't?

And when was the last time Mick went on a mission? Why did only some of them go this time? If this was so end-of-the-world important, shouldn't they all go?

Also, I don't remember if it was part of the Elvis episode or not, but I had to chuckle at "young" Damian Dahrk and his '70s "hairdo." Probably because they made so little effort to make the actor younger. The hair was quite obviously a wig, and they didn't do anything to de-age the actor, so it looked like what it was -- the same actor playing two roles, only one with a bad Illya Kuryakin wig and a worse German accent. It was like "use your imagination, kids!" And that's kind of endearing.

Legends of Tomorrow does get renewed for a fourth season! banana photo banana.gif

And adds Jes Macallan -- Ava Sharpe -- as a series regular!

From Deadline Hollywood Daily: "‘Legends of Tomorrow’: Jes Macallan Upped to Series Regular for Se...

I still have four episodes to watch on THIS season! Looking forward to Matt Ryan's return, which I have seen mentioned online.

They get pretty gloriously silly, Cap. And, surprisingly, Constantine fits right in with this latter-day JLI.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2018   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service