DC recently announced a "robust" expansion of its Digital First program -- seemingly with an aim to get a new title onto the digital shelf every day. As I mentioned in the Walmart thread, the initial stories are drawn from the new content in the Giants, and will appear in the following titles:

• Superman: Man of Tomorrow
  • Batman, Gotham Nights
  • Wonder Woman: Agent of Peace
  • The Flash: Fastest Man Alive
  • Aquaman: Deep Dives
  • DC Superhero Girls: Infinite Frenemies
  • Swamp Thing: New Roots

But will that be enough? At a story a day, a rotation of those titles will burn through their inventory pretty quickly. 

There's also Batman: The Adventures Continue, the animated series-style comic that's being released digitally. And there's also RWBY and Gen: Lock, two non-DCU books that DC releases digital-first. (I'm unfamiliar with them, but it looks like their most recent releases where at the end of March and the beginning of April, so they could still be ongoing.) With those two, that would bring us up to 10 titles, which, without weekends, could fill a two-week rotation. Is that DC's plan? Or do they have something more in store -- as this Newsarama article suggests?

I'll be following these releases here, updating each week's entries. 

Views: 282

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The Harley Quinn digital first, Make Em Laugh, began today, in the place of Wonder Woman (and then Birds of Prey). Also, I'm adding Teen Titans Go! To Camp to the regular listings. It's been going for a while, but it's a weekly digital series. It looks like about every other episode is free -- I guess the intention is to provide the story for 50 cents a pop, but Comixology doesn't really support that pricing.

My guess is that we'll get all the regulars for the rest of the week, since Aquaman is in a multi-parter, and Flash and Swamp Thing still have inventory published in the Giants already. But I don't know what we'll get in the Teen Titans Go/DC Superhero Girls slot. 

(I can't edit previous posts right now, but today we do get Aquaman 7, wrapping up "Stinging Tide," and tomorrow we'll get another double-shot of Flash short stories.

Comixology has next week's digital firsts for pre-order:

Monday, June 8: World's Finest: "Faceless" and "Exit Interview," Batwoman and Supergirl solo stories from  Batwoman Supergirl Giant 

Tuesday, June 9: Batman: "Puppets" and "Lifelines" from Batman Giant 2 & 4

Wednesday, June 10:Harley Quinn: Make 'Em Laugh: "Housewarming" and "The Lady or the Tiger," as yet unpublished.
ALSO: Teen Titans Go! To Camp 16

Thursday, June 11: Aquaman: "Breathless" and "Whale Watch" from Aquaman Giant 1 & 4

Friday, June 12: Flash: "Rain on my Parade" and "Cold Case," from Flash Giant 5, and unpublished

Saturday, June 13: Teen Titans Go: "Beast in Show" and "The Butter-Fried Effect," as yet unpublished

Sunday, June 14: Swamp Thing: "Toys on Parade" and "The Ghost Light," from Swamp Thing Giant 4 & 5 

DC's website has a place where you can see which titles are shipping this week and next week. It's never complete for the DC Digital Firsts, but for the past few weeks its included the titled appearing on Tuesday and Wednesday (Batman and Harley Quinn, lately). 

Next week we'll have the return of Wonder Woman, with Wonder Woman: Agent of Peace 6, and Batman: Gotham Nights 9. And I'm pretty sure that with these issues both Batman and Wonder Woman will be out of material previously published in (if not prepared for) the Wamart books.

I'm pretty sure everything else will already be running new material next week. Of course, the next wave of Walmart books might ship, so there'll be new material for (probably) Superman, Aquaman, Titans (who haven't yet appeared as a digital first) and maybe Wonder Woman.

Monday, June 15: Superman 7: "Viral" and "The Wrath of Wioska"

Tuesday, June 16: Batman 9: "A Flip of the Coin" and "Joker's Wild" from Batman Giant 5 and as yet unpublished
DCeased: Hope At World's End 3

Wednesday, June 17: Wonder Woman 6: "Gundra the Great" and "Wolf Cubs" From WW Giant 4 and as yet unpublished.

Thursday, June 18: Aquaman 9: "Screaming Sea" and "Girls Night Out" from Aquaman Giant 3 and as yet unpublished
Batman: The Adventures Continue 6

Friday, June 19: Flash 9: "Just a Reflection" and "Ghosts of the Speed Force"

Saturday, June 20: Teen Titans Go 4: "Spam I Am"

Sunday, June 21: Swamp Thing 9: "Kind" and "The Bayou Bluebird War"

Also: There may or may not be three DC-produced promo comics for HBO Max called "To the Max" at the time you read this. I can see the covers on the site, but it looks like trying to download them brings an error message right now. They might have been released prematurely. It looks like they're introducing some new superhero characters, but to what end, and to promote what show, I don't know. But it looks like they'll be free once they're available.

OK, the HBO Max comics are officially up. And I haven't the foggiest idea what they're trying to do. There are some superhero adventures with a magic remote control that gives three people one power at a time... and there are some references to shows on HBO Max like Friends and Game of Thrones... but what the hell? I guess anything that gets me to realize Friends is on HBO Max is kind of doing its job, but... these are really strange. And not in the wonderful way those DC/KFC promo comics were strange. 

But they're free! So enjoy, if that's the word for it. And see if you can spot references to Scooby Doo, Sex in the City, or The Big Bang Theory -- I didn't catch the Scooby one, and I don't watch the other shows, so I didn't recognize any shoutouts. 

The only Digital First I've seen word of for next week so far is Wonder Woman: Agent of Peace 7, with a full-length story titled "With Friends Like These." It's by Andrea Shea and Meghan Hetrick, so it's a different team than the usual Wonder Woman lead features. I expect it will be available Wednesday, 6/24, as that's WW's usual ship day.

OK, next week is starting to take shape. 

Monday, 6/22: Superman 8: "Obituary" and "Deadline"
Tuesday, 6/23: Batman 10: "The Scent of Scorn"
Wednesday, 6/24: Wonder Woman 7: "With Friends Like These" 
Thursday, 6/25:
Friday, 6/26:
Saturday, 6/27:
Sunday, 6/28:

OK, we've got the full week's schedule now. A few new titles on the Digital First radar, as Aquaman, Flash, Teen Titans Go, and Swamp Thing take a break. The stories in the four newcomer titles have all appeared in the Giants of the same name.

Monday, 6/22: Superman 8: "Obituary" and "Deadline"
Tuesday, 6/23: Batman 10: "The Scent of Scorn"
Wednesday, 6/24: Wonder Woman 7: "With Friends Like These" 
Thursday, 6/25: Titans: Titans Together 1: "History Lessons," from Titans Giant 1
Friday, 6/26: From Beyond the Unknown 1: "In Bloom," a GL story from FBTU Giant 1
Saturday, 6/27: Scooby-Doo: Mystery Inc. 1: "Snack Attacked" from the Scooby-Doo 50th Anniversary Giant
Sunday, 6/28: Ghosts: "Shop of Nightmares," a Spectre story from Ghosts Giant 1

I'm actually a little surprised that they're not releasing the GL story as a Green Lantern digital first* instead of the From Beyond the Unknown umbrella title, but I guess they need a home for the Legion and Kamandi short stories next week. Next week's Ghosts issue should have the Gentleman Ghost and John Constantine stories from the Giant. There were 3 new 10-pagers in the Scooby Giant, which it looks like DC is going to release separately. And there's another longer Titans story from Giant 2, and two backups in the first two issues that are also eligible. 

So it might be a few weeks before we see more entries from Aquaman, Flash, Teen Titans Go, and Swamp Thing. That'll give DC time to build up a little inventory.

*My pick for a subtitle for a prospective GL digital first series would be Green Lantern: Lantern's Light.

Next week's digital firsts are all available for pre-order.

Monday, 6/29: Superman 9: "What Lives Inside" and "Invasive Species"
Tuesday, 6/30: Batman 11: "Reunion" and "One Minute After Midnight"
Wednesday, 6/30: Wonder Woman 8: "Awakening" 
Thursday, 7/1: Titans: Titans Together 2: "Bride of Blood," from Titans Giant 2
Friday, 7/2: From Beyond the Unknown 2: "The Butler" and "Stealth Mode" Kamandi and Legion stories from FBTU Giant 1
Saturday, 7/3: Scooby-Doo: Mystery Inc. 2: "Now You See Them" from the Scooby-Doo 50th Anniversary Giant
Sunday, 7/4: Ghosts 2: "The Ghost Inside," and "Child of the Night," Gentleman Ghost and John Constantine stories from Ghosts Giant 1

My pick of the week is Wonder Woman, with a new story by Louise Simonson and Paul Pelletier. 

Honorable mentions: From Beyond the Unknown has a fun little Legion Espionage Squad story. And one of the Batman stories guest-stars Codename: Assassin!

Next week the Titans and Scooby comics will have previously published material from the Giants to continue (and Titans probably also has a little backlog of completed stories intended for unpublished Giants), but it'll be interesting to see what goes into the places of From Beyond the Unknown and Ghosts. Will Flash and Swamp Thing return? Or will Ghosts and FBTU continue with new stories too? 

Also today: The first chapter of Harley Quinn: Black, White and Red debuts! These are stand-alone stories in the vein of Batman: Black & White, and it'll run every Friday for 14 weeks.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service