DC recently announced a "robust" expansion of its Digital First program -- seemingly with an aim to get a new title onto the digital shelf every day. As I mentioned in the Walmart thread, the initial stories are drawn from the new content in the Giants, and will appear in the following titles:

• Superman: Man of Tomorrow
  • Batman, Gotham Nights
  • Wonder Woman: Agent of Peace
  • The Flash: Fastest Man Alive
  • Aquaman: Deep Dives
  • DC Superhero Girls: Infinite Frenemies
  • Swamp Thing: New Roots

But will that be enough? At a story a day, a rotation of those titles will burn through their inventory pretty quickly. 

There's also Batman: The Adventures Continue, the animated series-style comic that's being released digitally. And there's also RWBY and Gen: Lock, two non-DCU books that DC releases digital-first. (I'm unfamiliar with them, but it looks like their most recent releases where at the end of March and the beginning of April, so they could still be ongoing.) With those two, that would bring us up to 10 titles, which, without weekends, could fill a two-week rotation. Is that DC's plan? Or do they have something more in store -- as this Newsarama article suggests?

I'll be following these releases here, updating each week's entries. 

Views: 294

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Also recent on the DC Digital scene is Teen Titans Go!: Roll With It, which looks like an ongoing adventure of the team playing D&D. Or, rather, Basements and Basilisks. Weekly on Wednesdays! Two issues have been released so far, as well as a free preview.

Looks like Flash is back for next week's batch of Digital Firsts... and Sunday's offering is still up in the air. Here's what's on deck:

Monday, 7/6: Superman 10: "Pro Lobo" and "The Champion"
Tuesday, 7/7: Batman 12: "Five Little Robins"
Wednesday, 7/8: Wonder Woman 9: "Obsession Aggression" 
Thursday, 7/9: Titans 3: "What's Normal?" and "Cool and HIPAA" from Titans Giant 1&2
Friday, 7/10: Flash 10: "Bullet" and "Burnout" 
Saturday, 7/11: Scooby-Doo 3: "Scooby's Last Rep" from the Scooby-Doo 50th Anniversary Giant
Sunday, 7/12: Our Fighting Forces: "House Call" from Our Fighting Forces Giant 1

My pick of the week would be Batman: Gotham Knights 12 -- a teamup of all five former Robins -- Dick, Jason, Tim, Steph, and Damian -- by Tim Seeley and V Ken Marion.

Still don't know what this Sunday will bring -- I'm guessing more Swamp Thing, but I've seen no sign of it yet -- but next week will see the third issue of Harley Quinn: Make 'em Laugh. Probably on Wednesday, in place of Wonder Woman.

Also, I can't help thinking the title "Scooby's Last Rep" is an allusion to the Samuel Beckett one-act "Krapp's Last Tape," but I didn't see any evidence to that in the story itself. 

Okay, Sunday's book is Our Fighting Forces, featuring "House Call," an Unknown Soldier story by Priest and Chris Mooneyham, from Our Fighting  Forces Giant 1. I'm pretty sure there won't be a second issue of this immediately, since the Batman story in the backup has appeared in Batman: Gotham Knights already, and possibly the Batwoman backup did, too. So anything else appearing under this title would be new.

There aren't any DC Firsts available for pre-order yet this week... so I might be updating this list each day. Here's what we know so far:

Monday, 7/13: Superman 11: "Fight of a Lifetime"
Tuesday, 7/14: Batman 13: "Nothing 2 See Here" and "Incorruptible Force"
Wednesday, 7/15: Harley Quinn 3: "Escape Therapy" 
Thursday, 7/16: Titans 4: "Career Day"
Friday, 7/17: Shazam!: Lightning Strikes 1: "Home Quest" 
Saturday, 7/18: NOTHING
Sunday, 7/19: NOTHING

Meanwhile, the DC website has revealed that next week's offerings will include Birds of Prey: Sirens of Justice 2. (Probably on Wednesday, if history is any indication.)

Looks like we've got a new title in the rotation (which I've noted above): Shazam! Lightning Strikes debuts on Friday! Newsarama has more.

As far as I can tell, DC didn't release any digital firsts for Saturday and Sunday of this week. 

Like last week, we're not getting much of a heads-up on which Digital Firsts are being released this week. I'll update with more when I get concrete info. 

Monday, 7/20: Superman 12: "Superman's Day Off"
Tuesday, 7/21: Batman 14: "Bad News" and "Monster"
Wednesday, 7/22: probably Birds of Prey 2" Disguises" and "The Killing" from Birds of Prey Giant 1
Thursday, 7/23: NOTHING
Friday, 7/24: Shazam 2: "On the Job" and "Destroying Eugene Choi" 

Still no word on Thursday. And will we get anything new on Saturday or Sunday, or has DC decided the weekends (or the weekend books) aren't worth the effort?

This week's highlights:
"Superman's Day Off" is written by Robert Vendetti, who's been killing it on these Superman stories. Art's by Scott Hampton.
Also, in Batman, "Bad News" is a short featuring Deathstroke written by Tom Taylor with art by Daniel Sampere. Taylor's been getting lot of acclaim lately for DCeased and other projects. (Plus you also get a Croc story by Frank Tieri and Tyler Kirkham!)  

Looks like DC's whittling down the Digital Firsts program; last week there were no releases on Saturday and Sunday. This week we lose the weekend, and Thursday on top of that. 

Next week, it looks like we get another Wonder Woman issue, and we haven't missed a Batman yet, so that's a pretty sure bet. As for the rest, it remains to be seen.

OK, this week we've got the first three DIgital Firsts lined up: Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman. Beyond that, we'll see. But the first three are already up on Comixology, either for order or pre-order.

Monday, 7/27: Superman 13: "Who Pranks the Prankster"
Tuesday, 7/28: Batman 15: "Fight or Flight"
Wednesday, 7/29: Wonder Woman 10: "The Eyes Have It"
Thursday, 7/23: 
Friday, 7/24: 

Right now my top pick would be Batman, with a Catwoman story by Mark Russell and Ryan Benamin. But I'm really enjoying Robert Vendetti's Superman stories, too, and this week we get another, this time with Darko LaFuente's attractive art and Luis Guerrero's sunlit colors. 

Also, I should mention that these stories have had a "graduate" --  Clayton Henry, who did such a great Flash run in these books, will be taking over the art in the main DCU Flash title in a couple months.

I usually get previews of the Digital First material, but not this week. Could they be winding down?

Previews of two digital books that aren't part of this initiative did arrive: DCeased: Hope at World's End Chapter Six and Batman: The Adventures Continue Chapter Nine. A third non-digital title that's not part of the initiative is Harley Quinn: Black + White + Red, and the latest issue of that came out last week. I put those previews on the "This Week in Comics," but in retrospect I wonder if I shoudn't have been putting them here all along.

They might be winding down... or they might be letting the more individual books like HQ B&W and DCeased become part of the daily schedule. This week it looks like we only get Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman in the regular Digital Firsts books. Next week's new release page on the DC site promises a Wonder Woman: Agent of Peace, too -- probably on Wednesday -- and I'd be shocked if there wasn't a Batman issue, too, and probably a Superman one. But I'll be really sorry if we've seen the last of the others. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service