It looks like DC Comics are using the Omnibus format as their current way to collect classic material in chronological order.  In the past, there have been the Archives series (hardcover, full color), the Showcase Presents series (softcover, black and white, usually twice the page count of an Archive), and the Chronicles series (softcover, full color, smaller page count than an Archive).  In the past few years, all of these lines have been quietly shuttered, and now DC is releasing Omnibus collections in both hardcover and softcover formats.

As you would expect, the Omnibus hardcovers are huge.  Two Silver Age volumes collected the first 76 issues of JLA (along with Brave and Bold 28-30 and Mystery in Space 75), for example.  Earlier this year, DC released JLA: The Bronze Age Omnibus Volume 1, collecting JLA # 77-113.  That's almost half of the original series collected in this way, which for a fan like me is great news.  The JLA Archives had 10 volumes, collected the first 93 issues, and the first volume and last volume were released twenty-two years apart.  The first JLA Omnibus came out in 2014.

DC is also releasing these collections in trade paperbacks with a smaller page count than the hardcovers.  The great thing is that these TPBs collect more issues than the Archives did!  The material collected in the first JLA Silver Age Omnibus has all been released in 3 TPBs.

I have the first JLA Silver Age TPB, and I loved it!  I also have the first JLA Showcase Presents, but I find that without color, I just don't enjoy the stories as much as I could.  Actually, I find I enjoy most Silver Age comics more in color versus reading them in Showcase Presents and Essential Marvel.

I wonder how many of the rest of you are buying and reading these Omnibus collections, and what you think of the format.

Views: 16707

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Amazon says:

Walt Disney's Uncle Scrooge "The Golden Nugget Boat": The Complete Carl Barks Disney Library Vol. 26
Release date: Tuesday, June 28, 2022

Walt Disney's Donald Duck "Duck Luck": The Complete Carl Barks Disney Library Vol. 27
Release date: Tuesday, September 27, 2022

(Thanks for alerting me to Vol 27)

In my experience the dates listed on Amazon are trustworthy. If there are delays they tell me.

Captain Comics said:

Good news, everybody! Over in the just-posted DC Comics for August 2022, there are listings for:

• The Phantom Stranger Omnibus
  • Golden Age Wonder Woman Omibus Volume 5
  • Silver Age Batman Omnibus Volume 1

The solicit dates for those are...

Phantom Stanger - November 1

GA Wonder Woman - October 18

SA Batman - October 4

Probably not mentioned by Cap because it is neither Golen, Silver nor Bronze Age is...

Flash by Mark Waid - November 1

On the Marvel side there is...

Captain Marvel omnibus v1 (This is one I definitely would get if I didn't already own the Masterworks.) 

Coincidentally, today I got an email from Tales of Wonder saying that the Phantom Stranger Omnibus has been cancelled by the publisher. If so, this would be the second time it has been solicited and cancelled. Does anyone here have any more info on this?

Online reports say it's been pushed back to November to build up more preorders.

Dennis Summers said:

Coincidentally, today I got an email from Tales of Wonder saying that the Phantom Stranger Omnibus has been cancelled by the publisher. If so, this would be the second time it has been solicited and cancelled. Does anyone here have any more info on this?

If I didn't say it, I definitely do want the Phantom Stranger Omnibus. I've actually got all of the Silver Age series, and read the '50s series in Showcase Presents: Phantom Stranger. But I'd like to read those in color, and further, the Omnibus goes beyond the '60s series into Phantom Stranger guest appearances after cancellation.

That's one of the things I love about omnibuses. Sure, I own all the stories about Character X, and probably read them in order when they came out, but looking back on it now, I can't tell you where this was said, that was revealed or how the character progressed, if said events didn't occur in an eponymous title. Omnibuses give me a clear timeline/story order for each character -- guest appearances, backup series and all. That's something really needful for a hit-and-miss character like the Phantom Stranger.

I'm obviously going to get the two Barks books mentioned above. That will just leave, I think, the first four volumes of the Carl Barks Library unpublished. Hoping for word on that when Vol. 27 comes out.

I'm obviously going to get the GA Wonder Woman and SA Batman. It appears the Silver Age Batman is going to start in 1956, which is awesome, since my Batman/Detective runs don't start until 1960 or so. My Wonder Woman collection starts around issue #139, so both omnibus series will be new to me for a good, long while.

And I'm going to get the Captain Marvel Omnibus. Unlike Jeff, I don't have the Marvel Masterworks. Sadly, there was a point in the MMW run where I said, "I need to save for retirement. I don't need to follow all the Marvel Masterworks into the Bronze Age." So I didn't buy them for about four years.

Then I changed my mind, and decided I should have these seminal series on my bookshelf, even if I did own the floppies. So I have a gap in all long-running MMW series that I try to patch with omnibuses (when they catch up to the hole). When it comes to Captain Marvel, they finished the series during the "hole" and I have maybe one of them. The rest were too expensive on the secondary market. So I'll be getting the Captain Marvel Omnibus, too.

And also the Luke Cage Omnibus, although I think have both MMW editions. It's just more complete.

I am completely looking forward to the Phantom Stranger Omnibus for all the same reasons as the Captain. I am, however, going to give WW a pass because although I love Peters' artwork, I hate Kanigher's writing on WW. I think he totally misunderstood the character. It's a tough call for me. I'm waffling on Captain Marvel.

Totally agree about Kanigher. But I have the Completist Disease, and if I can complete a series, I will — Kanigher, warts and all.

Ooh, I had Kanigher warts once. If you get them again, here's what you've got to do: steal a bit of your neighbor’s fat bacon and rub the warts with it nine times. Bury it secretly under a stone or, better still, in an ant hill. As it decays the warts will disappear.

I used to have completist disease, and it still flares up sometimes, but with super-powered vitamins I've been fighting it off.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Latest Activity

Richard Willis replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"In the late 60s I got a Charlton comic that had the cover of a different title. Charlton also…"
11 minutes ago
The Baron replied to PowerBook Pete, the Mad Mod's discussion Anything, Everything, or Nothing At All
"This came up in my Facebook memories today, something made for me by the late, great Rich Lane:"
5 hours ago
Lee Houston, Junior replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Except for the pinkish Iron Man and Thor's pink highlights, the Avengers cover doesn't…"
6 hours ago
Dave Palmer replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"From Tom…"
7 hours ago
Philip Portelli replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"There was one more Zatara appearance on an Action Comics cover, a full cast shot! "
7 hours ago
Richard Willis replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Philip Portelli said: Zatara and Zatanna!  Surprisingly none of the "Zatanna's…"
8 hours ago
"Steve W, et al: A March 1971 cover date is correct but if Charlton adhered to the general practice…"
8 hours ago
Steve W replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Mmmm - first alternate cover? You could be right - I'm guessing your covers come from 1971. I…"
8 hours ago
"I was originally going to ask this yesterday, but does anyone know what the first comic book with…"
9 hours ago
Captain Comics posted a video

VERSUS | Radiant Black vs. Blaze

From the pages of Radiant Black #15 comes: VERSUS. Can today’s modern day hero Radiant Black hold his own against, Blaze, one of the greatest heroes of C.O.W...
9 hours ago
Philip Portelli replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Zatara and Zatanna!  Surprisingly none of the "Zatanna's Search" issues had the…"
9 hours ago
Captain Comics posted a discussion

'Batman & Superman: Battle of the Super-Sons' animated movie comes to Blu-ray/Digital on Oct. 18

BATMAN AND SUPERMAN:BATTLE OF THE SUPER SONS WARNER BROS. ANIMATION’S FIRST-EVER ALL-CG FEATURE…See More
9 hours ago

© 2022   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service