It looks like DC Comics are using the Omnibus format as their current way to collect classic material in chronological order.  In the past, there have been the Archives series (hardcover, full color), the Showcase Presents series (softcover, black and white, usually twice the page count of an Archive), and the Chronicles series (softcover, full color, smaller page count than an Archive).  In the past few years, all of these lines have been quietly shuttered, and now DC is releasing Omnibus collections in both hardcover and softcover formats.

As you would expect, the Omnibus hardcovers are huge.  Two Silver Age volumes collected the first 76 issues of JLA (along with Brave and Bold 28-30 and Mystery in Space 75), for example.  Earlier this year, DC released JLA: The Bronze Age Omnibus Volume 1, collecting JLA # 77-113.  That's almost half of the original series collected in this way, which for a fan like me is great news.  The JLA Archives had 10 volumes, collected the first 93 issues, and the first volume and last volume were released twenty-two years apart.  The first JLA Omnibus came out in 2014.

DC is also releasing these collections in trade paperbacks with a smaller page count than the hardcovers.  The great thing is that these TPBs collect more issues than the Archives did!  The material collected in the first JLA Silver Age Omnibus has all been released in 3 TPBs.

I have the first JLA Silver Age TPB, and I loved it!  I also have the first JLA Showcase Presents, but I find that without color, I just don't enjoy the stories as much as I could.  Actually, I find I enjoy most Silver Age comics more in color versus reading them in Showcase Presents and Essential Marvel.

I wonder how many of the rest of you are buying and reading these Omnibus collections, and what you think of the format.

Views: 3136

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Except for the tabloid, Mike Grell had stopped drawing the Legion regularly since #224 except for covers and #235.

Captain Comics said:

Ugh. This book is in the Mike Grell era. Never cared for his work. The first time through was a chore for me, so I'll pass on the reading group. Y'all have fun!

I don't own any either, and I will be buying it in August as well, so you'll have a reading buddy!

John Dunbar (the mod of maple) said:

Sixth!  And count me in for a reading project.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

That's five (including me) and counting. Possible group reading project...?

Also, I'm probably the only one on the Board who doesn't own any LSH Archives, so I am definitely buying the Omnibus in August.

Ah, I see -- the covers threw me off. That's different, then!

Philip Portelli said:

Except for the tabloid, Mike Grell had stopped drawing the Legion regularly since #224 except for covers and #235.

Captain Comics said:

Ugh. This book is in the Mike Grell era. Never cared for his work. The first time through was a chore for me, so I'll pass on the reading group. Y'all have fun!

Huzzah!

Wandering Sensei: Moderator Man said:

I don't own any either, and I will be buying it in August as well, so you'll have a reading buddy!

Jeff of Earth-J said:

Also, I'm probably the only one on the Board who doesn't own any LSH Archives, so I am definitely buying the Omnibus in August.

My favorite Legion artist, bar none, is Jim Sherman. But his first few issues aren't very good. He hadn't perfected his craft yet and the awful inking by Jack Abel didn't help at all. But it only took a couple issues before he was turning out stellar stuff with really nice inks by Bob Wiacek and Bob McLeod.  I really wish he had stuck around longer.

Sure, I'm in! 

Grell was actually one of the first artists I ever saw work on the Legion; the first issue I bought was #232 -- "The Disease that Wouldn't Die," a double-size story illustrated by Rik Estrada and Jack Abel -- but my friend Dave had a copy of #203, "Massacre by Remote Control," featuring the death of Invisible Kid, and that one really made an impression. Probably those two issues, plus the tabloid that reprinted Mordru's first appearance, were my very first impressions of the Legion. And among those stories, it has everything I love about the team -- danger, drama, romance, the real possibility of death, overwhelming odds, interpersonal dynamics, interplanetary politics, team members keeping secrets from each other, goofy space holidays, and sleek costume design! 

There's no comic series I love like the Legion. With those three stories the bedrock I built my fandom on, it's easy to see why.

I'll be happy to read along with you guys in my Archives!

Wandering Sensei: Moderator Man said:

Jeff of Earth-J said:

All this Legion talk makes me think that I've been forgetting something....

The first time I saw Sherman I thought, "He won't last." I loved the work, but by then I was old enough to recognize that he was too detailed for a monthly book. And, sure enough, he had to be spelled by, and eventually replaced by, the much faster (and mediocre, IMHO) Estrada.

My introduction to the Legion was much earlier, as my brother was collecting in the early 1960s, but I gravitated to the later books by Shooter and Swan. That sold me on the Legion, for much the same reasons you cite, Rob. I would always be disappointed to pick up an Adventure with a Swan cover (and later Neal Adams covers) and find the interiors by the likes of John Forte and Win Mortimer. I recognized Swan even then as "the good Superman artist" but didn't realize that he was usually paired with the best of the early Legion writers, Jim Shooter. The Shooter/Swan (and Klein!) stories were head-and-shoulders above the other Adventure adventures and sold me for life.

Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) said:

Sure, I'm in! 

Grell was actually one of the first artists I ever saw work on the Legion; the first issue I bought was #232 -- "The Disease that Wouldn't Die," a double-size story illustrated by Rik Estrada and Jack Abel -- but my friend Dave had a copy of #203, "Massacre by Remote Control," featuring the death of Invisible Kid, and that one really made an impression. Probably those two issues, plus the tabloid that reprinted Mordru's first appearance, were my very first impressions of the Legion. And among those stories, it has everything I love about the team -- danger, drama, romance, the real possibility of death, overwhelming odds, interpersonal dynamics, interplanetary politics, team members keeping secrets from each other, goofy space holidays, and sleek costume design! 

There's no comic series I love like the Legion. With those three stories the bedrock I built my fandom on, it's easy to see why.

I think we're talking about two different reprints/reading projects here. Superboy & the LSH, solicited for June 21 release, collects issue #234-240 and DC Treasury Edition C-55.

If there is a LSH ombibus (presumably collecting the series from the beginning) solicited for August, that's something different.

Of course there's nothing that says we can't run two LSH discusions simultaneously, but the one I'm intersted in the the June one. (It's been too recent that I last re-read the early stuff.)

Yeah, it's two different rereading projects. I'll probably be more involved with the bronze age one, but I'll definitely chime in on the silver age one, too. 

I'm pretty attached to the Bronze Era issues as well. I'm sure I would follow and occasionally comment.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2017   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service