It looks like DC Comics are using the Omnibus format as their current way to collect classic material in chronological order.  In the past, there have been the Archives series (hardcover, full color), the Showcase Presents series (softcover, black and white, usually twice the page count of an Archive), and the Chronicles series (softcover, full color, smaller page count than an Archive).  In the past few years, all of these lines have been quietly shuttered, and now DC is releasing Omnibus collections in both hardcover and softcover formats.

As you would expect, the Omnibus hardcovers are huge.  Two Silver Age volumes collected the first 76 issues of JLA (along with Brave and Bold 28-30 and Mystery in Space 75), for example.  Earlier this year, DC released JLA: The Bronze Age Omnibus Volume 1, collecting JLA # 77-113.  That's almost half of the original series collected in this way, which for a fan like me is great news.  The JLA Archives had 10 volumes, collected the first 93 issues, and the first volume and last volume were released twenty-two years apart.  The first JLA Omnibus came out in 2014.

DC is also releasing these collections in trade paperbacks with a smaller page count than the hardcovers.  The great thing is that these TPBs collect more issues than the Archives did!  The material collected in the first JLA Silver Age Omnibus has all been released in 3 TPBs.

I have the first JLA Silver Age TPB, and I loved it!  I also have the first JLA Showcase Presents, but I find that without color, I just don't enjoy the stories as much as I could.  Actually, I find I enjoy most Silver Age comics more in color versus reading them in Showcase Presents and Essential Marvel.

I wonder how many of the rest of you are buying and reading these Omnibus collections, and what you think of the format.

Views: 3136

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Captain Comics said:

The first time I saw Sherman I thought, "He won't last." I loved the work, but by then I was old enough to recognize that he was too detailed for a monthly book. And, sure enough, he had to be spelled by, and eventually replaced by, the much faster (and mediocre, IMHO) Estrada.

According to the Wiki page, Sherman left because he didn't like the storyline. It also says he was replaced by Joe Staton. I don't know. I wasn't reading the title then. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Sherman_(comics)

Now that I think about that, it's true. James Sherman drew the first two installments of the Earth War (SLSH #241-242) then Joe Staton took over on the title.

So Staton drew the Legion, the Justice Society, the Metal Men AND the Green Lantern Corps!

Jeff of Earth-J said:

I think we're talking about two different reprints/reading projects here. Superboy & the LSH, solicited for June 21 release, collects issue #234-240 and DC Treasury Edition C-55.

If there is a LSH ombibus (presumably collecting the series from the beginning) solicited for August, that's something different.

Legion of Super-Heroes: The Silver Age Omnibus Vol 1 comes out in August and collects the following:  Adventure 247, 267, 282, 290, 293, 300-328  Action 267, 276, 287, 289  Superman 147 and Annual 4, Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen 72, 76  Superboy 86, 89, 98, 117

Of course there's nothing that says we can't run two LSH discusions simultaneously, but the one I'm intersted in the the June one. (It's been too recent that I last re-read the early stuff.)

Agreed!

That's what i get for trusting my memory on Estrada.

But I don't believe SHerman. He never drew anything for long. I think it was his speed.

Richard Willis said:

Captain Comics said:

The first time I saw Sherman I thought, "He won't last." I loved the work, but by then I was old enough to recognize that he was too detailed for a monthly book. And, sure enough, he had to be spelled by, and eventually replaced by, the much faster (and mediocre, IMHO) Estrada.

According to the Wiki page, Sherman left because he didn't like the storyline. It also says he was replaced by Joe Staton. I don't know. I wasn't reading the title then. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Sherman_(comics)

Philip Portelli said:

So Staton drew the Legion, the Justice Society, the Metal Men AND the Green Lantern Corps!

And Plastic Man, Power Girl, Huntress, and my favorite DC "event" ever -- Showcase 100!

Captain Comics said:

That's what i get for trusting my memory on Estrada.

But I don't believe Sherman. He never drew anything for long. I think it was his speed.

Estrada did do one issue in the middle of Sherman's run. He drew "The disease that wouldn't die!" a story in which he drew R.J. Brande as though he thought he was creating a new character.

I think you're right about Sherman. He was one of those guys like Alan Weiss or Michael Golden who put so much into it that he couldn't keep a schedule.

Staton was a workhorse. I usually enjoy him with the right inker. Layton or Gordano maybe.

And yeah, Showcase #100 is awesome.

Well, I'm in for the Bronze Age discussion!

John Dunbar (the mod of maple) said:

Agreed!

I just bought Showcase #100. Haven't heard about it before but it must be good with all these testimonials.

“Btw, this hardcover picks up where the last LSH Archive stopped; no issues are skipped. The issues collected are Superboy & the LSH 234-240 and DC Treasury Edition C-55, the wedding of Saturn Girl and Lightning Lad.”

Okay, here’s what happened. When I saw that the forthcoming Superboy & the LSH is to begin with #234, I looked at Legion Archives Vol. 13 to see where it left off. I thought it was #230, but after re-checking last night, I see that it is, in fact. #233. (#231-233 are on the next page, so two pages must have been sticking together the first time I checked.) Yesterday on another thread I spoke of the “acquisition” phase of collecting comics. LSH is a good example for me. I completed my collection of S&LSH back in the ‘80s, but there are a lot of issues beyond #233 that I haven’t read yet unless they’ve been collected in an archive or something.

“My favorite Legion artist, bar none, is Jim Sherman. But his first few issues aren't very good. He hadn't perfected his craft yet and the awful inking by Jack Abel didn't help at all.”

Shall we wait until the formal discussion to discuss the relative merits of Jim Sherman in comparison to Jack Abel, or shall we hash it out now? ;)

Is it available digitally?

Richard Willis said:

I just bought Showcase #100. Haven't heard about it before but it must be good with all these testimonials.

Nope, Sensei --there are only a handful of Showcase issues up on Comixology so far, and 100 isn't one of them. 

I hope you like it, Richard! It's one of my favorites, but it's hard for me to be totally objective about a comic that amazed me when I was 9.

That said, its portrayal of Lois Lane is a decade ahead of its time, at least. Teamed up with Angel O'Day, of all people, she's determined and badass in a way she rarely got to be when Superman was around. 

...and Tec, Estrada thinking Brande was a new character might have partially been the scripter's fault; I think throughout that story he's called Rene Brande rather than RJ Brande. But since this was my first Legion book ever, it took a while for me to figure out he was supposed to be RJ; and not until you mentioned it did the final piece fit into place -- Estrada just didn't know the character!

Showcase #100 was my first exposure to Space Ranger, Angel & the Ape and Bat Lash!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2017   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service