It looks like DC Comics are using the Omnibus format as their current way to collect classic material in chronological order.  In the past, there have been the Archives series (hardcover, full color), the Showcase Presents series (softcover, black and white, usually twice the page count of an Archive), and the Chronicles series (softcover, full color, smaller page count than an Archive).  In the past few years, all of these lines have been quietly shuttered, and now DC is releasing Omnibus collections in both hardcover and softcover formats.

As you would expect, the Omnibus hardcovers are huge.  Two Silver Age volumes collected the first 76 issues of JLA (along with Brave and Bold 28-30 and Mystery in Space 75), for example.  Earlier this year, DC released JLA: The Bronze Age Omnibus Volume 1, collecting JLA # 77-113.  That's almost half of the original series collected in this way, which for a fan like me is great news.  The JLA Archives had 10 volumes, collected the first 93 issues, and the first volume and last volume were released twenty-two years apart.  The first JLA Omnibus came out in 2014.

DC is also releasing these collections in trade paperbacks with a smaller page count than the hardcovers.  The great thing is that these TPBs collect more issues than the Archives did!  The material collected in the first JLA Silver Age Omnibus has all been released in 3 TPBs.

I have the first JLA Silver Age TPB, and I loved it!  I also have the first JLA Showcase Presents, but I find that without color, I just don't enjoy the stories as much as I could.  Actually, I find I enjoy most Silver Age comics more in color versus reading them in Showcase Presents and Essential Marvel.

I wonder how many of the rest of you are buying and reading these Omnibus collections, and what you think of the format.

Views: 12042

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I usually buy from In Stock Trades. New releases are 50% off for the first week. After that, they are usually 42% off. Then you can get another 3% off, if you buy from them again within the next week.

Also, they don;t show up in searches from Bookfinder.com or BookProces.com

David, I've got a question for you. Is that %50 the first week that it's listed, or the first week it's available?

The first week is it available. I haven't noticed pre-orders on there site. (I might have missed it). Their sister sit, Tales of Wonder, does have pre-orders, but the discount isn't as much.

I noticed Green Lantern the Silver Age Vol. 2 was in their "coming soon" list, without price or anything. It's due in comic shops March 26, and to bookstores a week or so after. It will be interesting to see when it becomes available, and for how much. Amazon has it for $125 even for Prime customers, so I will NOT be buying it there.

The thing I like best about the Omnibus collections is the sheer volume (no pun intended) of issues that have been collected in such a short span of time, at least compared with the Archives series.  The fact that the Omniboo can be cheaper overall than the Archives as well as collecting more material is pretty cool.  What Cap said about GL made me think of JLA.

JLA Archives - 1st volume released 1990, 10th and final volume released 2012.  Collects B&B 28-30 and JLA 1-93.

Showcase Presents the JLA - 1st volume released 2005, 6th and final volume released 2013.  Collects B&B 28-30 and JLA 1-132.

JLA: The Silver Age Omnibus Volume 1 released 2014, Volume 2 released 2016; JLA: The Bronze Age Omnibus Volume 1 released 2017, Volume 2 released 2018.  Between the 4 Omnibus volumes, B&B 28-30 and JLA 1-146 collected.

Before the Omnibus collections, JLA #133, 134, and 138-145 had never been reprinted before anywhere.  JLA # 94-99, 103, 104, 109, 112, 114-121, and 125-132 were only ever reprinted in the black & white Showcase Presents series.

Also, last year saw the release of JLA: The Detroit Era Omnibus, and it collected JLA 233-261, JLA Annual 2, as well as related issues.  I mention this because JLA 147-232 and JLA Annual 1, along with All-Star Squadron 14 & 15 (crossover with JLA 207-209) would fit nicely in 3 Omniboo of about 30 issues each.  Never reprinted before: JLA 149-158, 162-165, 169, 170, 175-182, 187-191, 198, 199, 201-206, 210-232, and Annual 1.

Captain Comics said:

Speaking of which, my heart aches at the thought of replacing all my DC Archives with Omnibuses. But there is a silver lining. Come Friday I'll pick up the Silver Age Green Lantern Omnibus Vol. 2, and order Vol. 1 online somewhere. When I have them both, I will have nearly the entire Silver Age Green Lantern, from Showcase #22 to Green Lantern #75, between hard covers for less than $300. Meanwhile, collecting the same material by Archives has already cost me upwards of $400 for seven books over the course of several years, which only got me to Green Lantern #57. By that yardstick, I'm re-collecting the Silver Age cheaper and faster by Omnibus than I was with the Archives. 

I’m on a bit of an “Aquaman” jag today, but I would really love to see a couple of thick, juicy Aquaman omnibuses. I have one volume of archives (which starts with the Silver Age Aquaman), but I’d like to see more. I have the wedding issue, the first appearance of Ocean-Master and “The Search for Mera” and that is it. I’d love to read some more.

Silver Age Aquaman is much underrated. Some good writing by Bob Haney, and Nicholas Cardy's awesome art. Though Ramona Fradon's work on the character is good too.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

I’m on a bit of an “Aquaman” jag today, but I would really love to see a couple of thick, juicy Aquaman omnibuses. I have one volume of archives (which starts with the Silver Age Aquaman), but I’d like to see more. I have the wedding issue, the first appearance of Ocean-Master and “The Search for Mera” and that is it. I’d love to read some more.

The net tells me DC has recently released a reprint of the 1989-90 Peter David/Esteban Maroto mini The Atlantis Chronicles under the name Aquaman: The Atlantis Chronicles. Google Books has a preview. (Adult content.)

Jim Aparo drew a 3 page Aqualad story written by Steve Skeates that appeared in Teen Titans #36. The GCD says this was an inventory story intended for the cancelled Aquaman #57. It's findable in Teen Titans collections.

Skeates also wrote the last issue of the Sub-Mariner's Silver/Bronze series. He wrote it as a sequel to the (then) last issue of Aquaman. (Spoilers. Link via Supermegamonkey.)

Martin O'Hearn has a post about "Aquaman"'s early Silver Age writers here.

Wikipedia says a complete collection of the Aquaman cartoons from The Superman/Aquaman Hour of Adventure was released on DVD in region 1 in 2007. Bob Haney and George Kashdan each wrote cartoons.

I say the same thing since I have it!

TuskyRules!

Luke Blanchard said:

Wikipedia says a complete collection of the Aquaman cartoons from The Superman/Aquaman Hour of Adventure was released on DVD in region 1 in 2007. Bob Haney and George Kashdan each wrote cartoons.

"Skeates also wrote the last issue of the Sub-Mariner's Silver/Bronze series. He wrote it as a sequel to the (then) last issue of Aquaman."

Oh, yeah! I remember reading about that in the Marvel Masterworks edition that reprinted that story.

(I love "sneaky" unofficial crossovers.)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service