DC's Omnibus line - Golden, Silver, and Bronze Age collections

It looks like DC Comics are using the Omnibus format as their current way to collect classic material in chronological order.  In the past, there have been the Archives series (hardcover, full color), the Showcase Presents series (softcover, black and white, usually twice the page count of an Archive), and the Chronicles series (softcover, full color, smaller page count than an Archive).  In the past few years, all of these lines have been quietly shuttered, and now DC is releasing Omnibus collections in both hardcover and softcover formats.

As you would expect, the Omnibus hardcovers are huge.  Two Silver Age volumes collected the first 76 issues of JLA (along with Brave and Bold 28-30 and Mystery in Space 75), for example.  Earlier this year, DC released JLA: The Bronze Age Omnibus Volume 1, collecting JLA # 77-113.  That's almost half of the original series collected in this way, which for a fan like me is great news.  The JLA Archives had 10 volumes, collected the first 93 issues, and the first volume and last volume were released twenty-two years apart.  The first JLA Omnibus came out in 2014.

DC is also releasing these collections in trade paperbacks with a smaller page count than the hardcovers.  The great thing is that these TPBs collect more issues than the Archives did!  The material collected in the first JLA Silver Age Omnibus has all been released in 3 TPBs.

I have the first JLA Silver Age TPB, and I loved it!  I also have the first JLA Showcase Presents, but I find that without color, I just don't enjoy the stories as much as I could.  Actually, I find I enjoy most Silver Age comics more in color versus reading them in Showcase Presents and Essential Marvel.

I wonder how many of the rest of you are buying and reading these Omnibus collections, and what you think of the format.

Views: 10020

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Disclaimers and historical perspective articles should have been included.

Captain Comics said:

The "Before Batman" Detective Comics set has been canceled. Bleeding Cool says (should you accept the word of a rumor site) that it was because of material that is now considered racist.

Since Warner Bros suppresses their own cartoons that are problematic, hopefully they won't start cherry picking the old superhero stories and not reprinting some for these reasons. Maybe they should make them "mature readers" books. Mature readers already have their attitudes toward diversity fully developed and they are the people likely to buy and read these volumes. They won't, but they could.

"The "Before Batman" Detective Comics set has been canceled."

AW!

Releasing this coming Wednesday, Nov 28:

All-Star Superman TPB: Black Label - collects All-Star Superman 1-12 under the new Black Label line.

Aquaman: The Search for Mera Deluxe Edition HC - collects Aquaman 40-48

Teen Titans: The Silver Age TPB Vol 2 - collects Teen Titans 12-24 and Brave & Bold 83

Marvel Knights Marvel Boy by Morrison and Jones - collects Marvel Boy (2000) 1-6

X-Factor Epic Collection TPB Vol 7: All-New All-Different X-Factor - collects X-Factor 71-83 and Annual 7 plus Incredible Hulk 390-392

X-Men Classic Complete Collection TPB Vol 1 - collects Classic X-Men 1-23

Big week!  Something for everyone maybe?

I would pass on the All-Star Superman collection as I have the originals, ditto with the X-Factor Epic collection trade.  Also will be skipping the X-Men Classic tpb.  The series felt to me like Chris Claremont wanted a do-over without input from John Byrne or Dave Cockrum; despite the lovely art by John Bolton, seemed unnecessary imo.

The titles you mention aren't at instock yet. I ordered the Slott/Allred Silver Surfer omnibus and a couple of omnis of stuff I already have (for convenience) this week.

THE BRAVE & THE BOLD OMNIBUS VOL. 3: Reprints #157-200, August 28, 2019.

THE JOKER BRONZE AGE OMNIBUS: Reprints Batman #251, 260, 286, 291-294, 321, 353, 365-366, 400; The Brave & the Bold #111, 118, 129-130, 141, 191; The Joker #1-10; Detective Comics #145-146, 504, 526, 532; Wonder Woman #280-283; DC Comics Presents #41 and 72, August 7, 2019.

Joker 1-10? Was the tenth issue in Canceled Comics Cavalcade because there were only nine that came out.

I don't know whether or not Joker #10 was in Canceled Comics Cavelcade, but the solicitation does refer to the "never before published The Joker #10. (Does inclusion in Canceled Comics Cavelcade count as "being published"?)

I'd say no. Including it almost makes me want to buy the volume, but I have almost everything else in it. Perhaps someday they'll just do Canceled Comics Cavalcade for the general public.

I was really puzzled by the WW inclusion until I realized it was the Huntress backup.

If they're including the Earth-Two Joker, then Justice League of America #136 should be there though I can understand why it's not, being the middle chapter of a three part story. 

Fraser Sherman said:

I'd say no. Including it almost makes me want to buy the volume, but I have almost everything else in it. Perhaps someday they'll just do Canceled Comics Cavalcade for the general public.

I was really puzzled by the WW inclusion until I realized it was the Huntress backup.

They could sell me on a series of Joker ominibuses that reprinted every Joker story, starting in 1940. This is OK, but is it comprehensive? Is it every Joker story in every title between the years listed? That would be useful -- otherwise, I have all those issues anyway.

That's a great idea Captain. It would probably sell, too.

Captain Comics said:

They could sell me on a series of Joker ominibuses that reprinted every Joker story, starting in 1940. This is OK, but is it comprehensive? Is it every Joker story in every title between the years listed? That would be useful -- otherwise, I have all those issues anyway.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2018   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service