It looks like DC Comics are using the Omnibus format as their current way to collect classic material in chronological order.  In the past, there have been the Archives series (hardcover, full color), the Showcase Presents series (softcover, black and white, usually twice the page count of an Archive), and the Chronicles series (softcover, full color, smaller page count than an Archive).  In the past few years, all of these lines have been quietly shuttered, and now DC is releasing Omnibus collections in both hardcover and softcover formats.

As you would expect, the Omnibus hardcovers are huge.  Two Silver Age volumes collected the first 76 issues of JLA (along with Brave and Bold 28-30 and Mystery in Space 75), for example.  Earlier this year, DC released JLA: The Bronze Age Omnibus Volume 1, collecting JLA # 77-113.  That's almost half of the original series collected in this way, which for a fan like me is great news.  The JLA Archives had 10 volumes, collected the first 93 issues, and the first volume and last volume were released twenty-two years apart.  The first JLA Omnibus came out in 2014.

DC is also releasing these collections in trade paperbacks with a smaller page count than the hardcovers.  The great thing is that these TPBs collect more issues than the Archives did!  The material collected in the first JLA Silver Age Omnibus has all been released in 3 TPBs.

I have the first JLA Silver Age TPB, and I loved it!  I also have the first JLA Showcase Presents, but I find that without color, I just don't enjoy the stories as much as I could.  Actually, I find I enjoy most Silver Age comics more in color versus reading them in Showcase Presents and Essential Marvel.

I wonder how many of the rest of you are buying and reading these Omnibus collections, and what you think of the format.

Views: 12686

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

And Jim Steranko’s introduction! I don’t know his sources, but he revealed things about the early days of the S&K partnership (and of their relationship with Martin Goodman) that I have never read before.

I looked at Mark Evanier's blog regarding Steranko. Nothing specific, but the two of them had a close friendship. He probably learned things in private conversations over the years. 

You're going to beggar me, Jeff.

So, what about the Golden Age Marvel Comics Omnibus Vol. 1? Once again, it seems to have nothing I don't have in other collections, just more "curated," for lack of a better word. Although the forewords, by Will Murray and Roy Thomas, almost sell it. (At least for me.)

Jeff of Earth-J said:

TIMELY’S GREATEST – THE GOLDEN AGE SIMON & KIRBY:

For the record, here is a list of Simon & Kirby creations before Captain America in the order they were published (only one appearance each unless otherwise noted):

The Fiery Mask (3 appearances)
The Phantom Bullet
Trojak the Tiger Man (2 appearances)
Red Raven
Mercury
Comet Pierce
Marvel Boy
The Vision (13 appearances)

Captain America

After Captain America, there was only…

Hurricane (2 appearances)
Tuk the Caveboy (2 appearances)
Captain Daring
The Defender

I'm posting from my local public library, and its system doesn't let me check things at the GCD. Did not some of these characters appear more times, in stories by others?

Simon briefly edited for Goodman, so I would think he may have had a hand in the creation of further features. He edited the sole issue of Red Raven Comics, for example. The cover employed a Prince Valiant swipe. (I don't note this as a slam: for me it adds to its interest.)

“So, what about the Golden Age Marvel Comics Omnibus Vol. 1?”

That one I did not buy because it’s nothing more than a reprint of MMW Marvel Comics.

”Did not some of these characters appear more times, in stories by others?”

Very possibly. I could have sworn, for example, that Tuk the Cave Boy appeared more than twice, but I didn’t bother to verify. Let the list above, then, stand as the features Simon & Kirby worked on directly.

From November Previews:

DC:

FLASH BY GEOFF JOHNS OMNIBUS v1 – Apparently available now.

WRATH OF THE SPECTRE OMNIBUS – July 8

SUPERMAN BY JOHN BYRNE OMNIBUS v1 – July 22

JONAH HEX OMNIBUS – April 29

WONDER WOMAN BY GEORGE PEREZ OMNIBUS v4 – February 12

MARVEL:

STERANKO IS… REVOLUTIONARY! KING-SIZE HC – April 29

MORBIUS OMNIBUS – April 29

Of course I already own books that cover Steranko's entire run on Nick Fury and another that includes his X Men, Captain America and anthology stories but to have some of those in an oversize edition ...

Jeff of Earth-J said:

MARVEL:

STERANKO IS… REVOLUTIONARY! KING-SIZE HC – April 29

Specifically, Steranko is... Revolutionary! reprints his entire SHIELD run (from Strange Tales as well as Nick Fury, Agent of...),

DC has canceled three big reprint books, according to Bleeding Cool:

• Aquaman: The Silver Age Omnibus Hardcover
  • Legends Of The Dark Knight: Steve Englehart Hardcover
  • Super Friends: Saturday Morning Comics Vol 1 Hardcover.
Well, heck. I was planning on popping for the Aquaman book.

If DC is going to cancel projects such as these, I'd really rather they just not solicit them in the first place.

"FLASH BY GEOFF JOHNS OMNIBUS v1 – Apparently available now."

Actually, not.

I suspect they are looking at how many are pre-ordered by Amazon and other retailers. Not enough interest, they cancel it. I'm still waiting for the Adam Strange softcover that they have solicited twice and the Nightshade TPB that I ordered direct from the publisher.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

If DC is going to cancel projects such as these, I'd really rather they just not solicit them in the first place.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service