DC's Omnibus line - Golden, Silver, and Bronze Age collections

It looks like DC Comics are using the Omnibus format as their current way to collect classic material in chronological order.  In the past, there have been the Archives series (hardcover, full color), the Showcase Presents series (softcover, black and white, usually twice the page count of an Archive), and the Chronicles series (softcover, full color, smaller page count than an Archive).  In the past few years, all of these lines have been quietly shuttered, and now DC is releasing Omnibus collections in both hardcover and softcover formats.

As you would expect, the Omnibus hardcovers are huge.  Two Silver Age volumes collected the first 76 issues of JLA (along with Brave and Bold 28-30 and Mystery in Space 75), for example.  Earlier this year, DC released JLA: The Bronze Age Omnibus Volume 1, collecting JLA # 77-113.  That's almost half of the original series collected in this way, which for a fan like me is great news.  The JLA Archives had 10 volumes, collected the first 93 issues, and the first volume and last volume were released twenty-two years apart.  The first JLA Omnibus came out in 2014.

DC is also releasing these collections in trade paperbacks with a smaller page count than the hardcovers.  The great thing is that these TPBs collect more issues than the Archives did!  The material collected in the first JLA Silver Age Omnibus has all been released in 3 TPBs.

I have the first JLA Silver Age TPB, and I loved it!  I also have the first JLA Showcase Presents, but I find that without color, I just don't enjoy the stories as much as I could.  Actually, I find I enjoy most Silver Age comics more in color versus reading them in Showcase Presents and Essential Marvel.

I wonder how many of the rest of you are buying and reading these Omnibus collections, and what you think of the format.

Views: 8383

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I would guess another factor governing price is feature character popularity.

Tim Wulson said:

I noticed today that it appears the Superman Golden Age Omnibus Vol 5 jumped to a $125 MSRP from previous vol's being $75.

Wow, that's painful. If it helps, it's only $76 with Amazon Prime.

Maybe they're past the point where the Archives stopped and that raised production costs.

Also there is probably a lower print run on Volume 5 as opposed to Volume 1.

Those are both good points, Philip. 

That could be the case - it appears Batman Vol 5 is the same way.

That discount isn't too bad, but having recently grabbed the others for about $30-35 it's a bigger shock to the wallet.

Philip Portelli said:

Maybe they're past the point where the Archives stopped and that raised production costs.

Also there is probably a lower print run on Volume 5 as opposed to Volume 1.

Captain Comics said:

Wow, that's painful. If it helps, it's only $76 with Amazon Prime.

I bought v5 yesterday and read the forword by Paul Levitz. The omnibus forwords coupled with IDW's Sunday Superman comic strip reprint forwards (by Mark Waid), provide an interesting overview of all things Superman in post-war America.

Got a question about Green Lantern/Green Arrow reprints. It might be premature, but does anyone have an idea of what the difference between the upcoming Green Lantern/Green Arrow: Hard Travelin' Heroes Deluxe Edition, and the earlier Absolute Green Lantern/Green Arrow edition might be?

I know that the books DC calls Deluxe Edition tend to be hardcover volumes which are the size of standard TPBs. I have all of the Fables Deluxe Editions and that's how they are.

According to the descriptions of the two editions, they have the exact same material collected.

I don't suppose anyone has heard anything about a Golden Age Flash Omnibus? I've taken the last day or two to read the thread and you guys seem to know what you're talking about. How likely do you guys' think it is that we'll get a Golden Age Flash Omnibus or a reprinting of the Golden Age Superman Volume 1 Omnibus?

I haven't heard a whisper, Josh. I've checked all the release lists from the various online sites and DC's solicitations to as far ahead as they go, and don't see any GA material beyond Batman v5 (May 18) on any list. 

And I'd love to see one. Not just Flash, either -- I'd love to see GA Green Lantern, GA Hawkman, GA Aquaman and GA Blackhawk, for starters. And I didn't get the Golden Age Superman v1 when it came out, a decision I'm coming to regret, so I'd like to see that reprinted as well.

Here's the list of upcoming Omnibi, as far as I can determine:

Feb. 20: New Teen Titans Omnibus vol 2

March 13: Kamandi Omnibus

March 20: Justice League: The Bronze Age Omnibus vol 2

April 3: Green Lantern: The Silver Age Omnibus vol 2

April 4: Superman: Exile and Other Stories Omnibus

April 24: Harley Quinn and the Gotham Sirens Omnibus

May 1: Batman: Knightfall Omnibus vol 3

May 22: Supergirl: The Silver Age Omnibus vol 2

May 29: Batman: The Golden Age Omnibus vol 5

June 6: Wonder Woman by George Perez Omnibus vol 3

June 19: Infinite Crisis Omnibus (reprint)

June 20: The Legion of Superheroes: The Silver Age Omnibus vol 2

June 18: Ex Machina The Complete Series Omnibus

July 4: Batman by Grant Morrison Omnibus vol 1

July 24: The Flash: The Silver Age Omnibus vol 3

July 24: The New Teen Titans Omnibus vol 3

Aug. 7: Impulse Omnibus

Aug. 7: Batman '66 Omnibus

Aug. 15: Seven Soldiers of Victory by Grant Morrison Omnibus

Aug. 28: Batman: The Brave and the Bold Bronze Age Omnibus vol 2

Like Cap, I haven't heard of any plans for a Golden Age Flash Omnibus, Josh.  But I would like to think it's at least a possibility.  As we discussed in this thread, the Golden Age Green Arrow Omnibus was a bit of a surprise, as the G.A. G.A. didn't even get an Archive edition back in the day.  One theory is that the Arrow television gives such material the opportunity to be collected.  The Flash show is part of the Arrow-verse, and Jay Garrick is on that show.  Jay got two Archive volumes, clocking in at about 450 pages, which is about half an Omnibus.  The previously collected material would (I assume) be easy enough to reproduce, and assuming other material is accessible, an Omnibus could happen.

My LCS had a copy of the Golden Age Superman v1. Since the lowest price I've seen online is $125, and he had it priced for half that, I went ahead and got it. Now what do I do with all these Superman/Action Archives? 

JK. Not a pressing problem. Since DC seems intent on switching over to Omnibi and letting the Archives line end, I'm likely to pick up a lot of redundant or partially redundant Omnibi as I switch over as well. The price of being an anal-retentive collector, I suppose.

Next week I'll pick up Silver Age Supergirl v1 and Bronze Age JLA v1, in anticipation of the second volumes of those series coming up on the schedule. Even though I have all those stories in floppy form already. Sighhhhh.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2018   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service