Replies

• From what I gather, they have conflated the characters of Sylvester Pemberton and  Starman instead of his being the Star-Spangled Kid. After some appearances by the older versions, Courtney's middle school classmates will become the new Hourman, Dr. Midnight and Wildcat. Pat Dugan (Stripsey) will be a regular as a mentor.

• I've now seen the first episode. It was enjoyable and the actors were well-cast. Christopher James Baker as Brainwave was truly menacing. It'll be interesting to see how they turn her classmates into the new versions of Dr Midnight, Hourman and Wildcat. 

It was interesting that this version of the Cosmic Staff (which looks great, by the way) is almost Johnny Thunder's Thunderbolt. It can't talk and isn't anthropomorphic, but it has a personality and seems to have a sense of humor.

• Here's the trailer.

• I liked it.

I approve of most all the changes they made to bring it to a TV audience. I especially like that the Star-Spangled Kid became Starman (not Skyman), which is what I wish they would have done in the comics.

Why "cosmic staff," though? Did "cosmic rod" not test well? At least it's not "cosmic tool."

• "Cosmic tool," hah! I liked it, too. This is another one where I have no history with the comics sources, apart from general knowledge of them.

• For anyone interested, this "zero" issue provides a really good introduction to the character. It was released prior to the ongoing series (which lasted 14 issues), but it took place between issues... I wanna say #6 and #7. (Actually, part of the story is a flashback, but the present day bits occur then.) I don't recommend the series itself (because the arc is for taking Courtney from unlikeable to likeable), but #0 is good. Stargirl made a much better showing when she joined the JSA.

81794444272.0.jpg?profile=RESIZE_710x

• Courtney always had too much of a "Britney Spears" vibe for my taste.

• As for the cosmic rod being replaced by the cosmic staff, this happened in Starman #2 (DEC94):

EI0kz2y.gif

EI0kz2y.gif

After the David Knight Starman is murdered by Nash, the son of The Mist, Ted Knight's youngest son Jack reluctantly takes up the cosmic rod/gravity rod to go after Nash and his criminal gang. Jack is inexperienced and barely escapes with his life. Before crash landing the rod falls into the river. After this, Jack is told by his father about a warehouse in which a larger, earlier prototype of the rod is stored. He finds the larger cosmic staff and resolves to commit to being Starman. This series is ambitious, edgy and extremely well done. I recommend it to anyone who hasn't already read it. At the end of its 82-issue run, Jack bestows the cosmic staff on Courtney, who had previously taken over the role of the Star-Spangled Kid.

• Originally Courtney had a version of the first Star Spangled Kid's cosmic convertor belt in Stars & STRIPE.

• Prior to watching the new show, I had no previous experience with Courtney except as noted above. I'm part-way through reading the Infinity Inc run, which involves the original Star-Spangled Kid, but haven't read any of the JSA books.

This reply was deleted.