That darn Barry Alllen! He comes back and leaves a mess all over the place!

DC relaunches all titles post-Flashpoint

Views: 1094

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Actually, the lack of information is brilliant.

On this and a bunch of other blogs, boards, etc., the result of the announcement has been massive speculation about what would be changed, and list upon list of preferences for what those changes should be.

All DC has to do is mine those sites, and synch up those preferences, and offer up stories that hit the top 20% of the hearts' desires they find*

It's like using the entire market as your focus group

*And apparently, v-neck superhero costumes are a hidden desire for all these years

Is the V-neck style hipster or something? It looks like the SS or the Pirates of Penzance to me. Also, as I mentioned on another thread, they've changed the "S" shield on Superman. Look, ma -- no serif at the bottom! Is changing the Superman trademark also something that's been a burning desire among fans?

I'm NOT a fan of the new collar trend that appears to be in the making.  It makes the wearer look like they stole the top of a drum majors uniform.

Kent Allard said:

*And apparently, v-neck superhero costumes are a hidden desire for all these years

Also,sending up trial balloons on the internet doesn't seem practical, given the lead time on comics, movies and television. You could look at the recent Wonder Woman debacle as an example, where they put the uniform up, were freaked out by negative response, and tweaked it -- actually creating three outfits, probably because some stuff had already been filmed.

...Could it be they haven't quite finished things yet ???????
I agree.  Remember when they put out some previews of the Young Avengers and nigh universal scoffing ensued?  Or when they were bringing back Bucky?  Both of those stories were arguably among Marvels best of the last decade.

Mark S. Ogilvie said:
Putting trial balloons on the net also triggers a lot of anger.

Disagree strongly.  The slow trickle of info is building anticipation.  So are the rumors, frankly,  "Not a lot of it is good buzz" is your opinion.  Go to any site where they discuss Grant Morrison writing Superman - not only are most people positive, some are downright giddy.

Undoubtedly, DC is taking a gamble.  Comic sales are declining, and DC is a perennial #2 to Marvel.  Someone decided the status quo was no longer acceptable.  Myself, I think it is gutsy.  Will everything work?  Not a chance.  There is no reward without risk.

I agree that the move is gutsy, John. And you also bring up something I've been thinking about a lot lately, about how a decade ago DC and Marvel were neck and neck, but in the last few years Marvel has pulled ahead virtually permanently -- not only on the stands, but in the movies. You can't reverse those kinds of trends with timid moves. And it looks like someone at the top at DC/Warner agrees.

I know I've been coming across as pretty cynical lately, but in a way this move is really damning of how DC has been run for the last 6-8 years. Johns and DiDio were the architects of the repeated waves of reboots and tweaks that constituted the most recent era of DC.  Those reboots were supposed to have been definitive.

Having the same guys be in charge of this latest "real, for definite this time..." reboot does make the prerennial optimist in me* hope that they've learned from all those mistakes and do it right this time.

My definition of right is:

No offensive, over-sexualised portrayals of teenage girls like they did with Supergirl.

No reliance on the readership having read specific storylines of 20, 30, 40 and more years ago to get the current stories.

No rowbacks on introducing a wider field of representation than all those blue-eyed straight white folks that were the standard for so long.  (This is the one area of DC comics that really makes it look different to most television drama of today.)

Stories that are just good stories, not stories that only exist to pad out other 'events'. 

The outreach beyond the core fanboy market is what DC have to concentrate on.  A lot of their current practices would be laughed out of the court of public opinion if they continue into this digital outreach phase.

"You mean this story only has meaning if I've been following the last 6 years of stories?  LOL!"

"What's with all the unfeasibly large chests these women have?  Were they cursed to have eternal back pain by an evil genie or something? LOL!"

"So you're bringing in a character that I'll have to read those dusty old Black and White Showcase volumes from the comic shop to get his significance?  And I care, why? LOL"

"So there's going to be a big event in 6 months time during which lots of interesting things will happen, but in the meantime I'm supposed to buy these issues where nothing much happens? As if!  LOL!"

*I contain multitudes.

To clarify, I wasn't saying they shouldn't shoot out teasers.    I was responding to the notion of using the reactions to the teasers to dictate the fate of project prior to its actual release.

John Dunbar said:

Disagree strongly.  The slow trickle of info is building anticipation.  So are the rumors, frankly,  "Not a lot of it is good buzz" is your opinion.  Go to any site where they discuss Grant Morrison writing Superman - not only are most people positive, some are downright giddy.

Undoubtedly, DC is taking a gamble.  Comic sales are declining, and DC is a perennial #2 to Marvel.  Someone decided the status quo was no longer acceptable.  Myself, I think it is gutsy.  Will everything work?  Not a chance.  There is no reward without risk.

The guys who whinge on fansites aren't really their target market for this new push, I hope.

(As opposed to constructive commentators like me.  Hah Hah!  But then I'm not exactly their target market either.  As the ad says, I don't have an iPad, ... so I don't have an iPad.  :-)  )

Something this got me curious about: I wonder how this will affect DC's sales over the next few months. How many fans, knowing that the series they're reading won't "matter" after August, will refocus their limited dollars somewhere else? How many fans who otherwise wouldn't pick up DC's current books will dive in to see how it all ends?

I'll be interested to see what the numbers wind up looking like...

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service