That darn Barry Alllen! He comes back and leaves a mess all over the place!

DC relaunches all titles post-Flashpoint

Views: 1088

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The art they've offered is also intriguing.

A new neckline for Superman. No red underwear either.

Wonder Woman drops her gold for silver.

Looks like Aquaman has a collar now.

Maybe Clark and Lois won't be married anymore, Barry was never dead, Hal never crazy, etc.

And Dick, Wally, Roy, Donna and Garth will be fifteen again!

I think the digital day/date initiative is the best thing DC could do at this point.  Let's face it, folks...digital is here and is likely the future.  I would hate to see the monthly printed issues go the way of the dodo, but if it's a choice between digital comics or no comics at all, then bring on digital.

I'm also happy to see the red tights gone on Supes' outfit.  I've been in favor losing those for a couple of decades now.   And unlike many, I don't have a lot of problems with WW's new look either.  The only thing that bugs me is that there seem to be a few too many high collars.  As long as they don't put one on Metamorpho, I'm good. :)

BTW, if a moderator wants to merge this thread with the one Hoy Murphy started, it's no problem with me.
...I have given my opinion , SPECIFICALLY , about the two  , um , " heritage , Big Blue titles ( The only Big Two " universe " comics that I pull , presently !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ) , as jgbook2007 , over at Comics Alliance...
Philip Portelli said:

Maybe Clark and Lois won't be married anymore, Barry was never dead, Hal never crazy, etc.

And Dick, Wally, Roy, Donna and Garth will be fifteen again!

Sounds good to me ...

I don't....understand this.

Does this mean Grant Morrison's Batman is going bye-bye? :(

Alan M. said:

I don't....understand this.

Does this mean Grant Morrison's Batman is going bye-bye? :(

This is where the original COIE reboot went wrong.  Batman, Legion of Superheroes and Teen Titans were popular big sellers in 1985, so DC left them and other popular comics alone, and many of the subsequent problems grew out of this.

Considering Morrison's Batman totally ignored the COIE reboot of the DCU and gave us a Batman who'd lived through all the pre-COIE eras, I don't see him playing along with this.  He is only starting his Batman Inc storyline, only setting up the players, so I don't see him dropping it.  Also it ties back to his pre Batman-RIP run, so he's not going to erase any of the links to that either.

And so, Batman at least will have all his old JLA history, have lost all those Robins, have lived through all those team-ups with Superman (at least the post COIE ones), etc etc.

There's one loose thread that everyone will use to unravel this brave new Universe!  I'm sure there'll be others.

The DCU needs freshening up.  All those characters now carry the weight of too many stories and tragedies around with them and drag them into each new story.

Superman's marriage to Lois a least saved him from that!

But I don't think this new reboot will 'take' as a new start.  There'll be too much temptation to bring in old storylines and continue on from them.

The difference this time is that Lee and Johns are uber-editors as well as creators, so that might mean their new changes will be honoured.

Having said that, a DCU which they are steering isn't one that I'd be very interested in following...

Don Collett said:
BTW, if a moderator wants to merge this thread with the one Hoy Murphy started, it's no problem with me.

I would if I could but that isn't something we can do on Ning.

You could add a link to the other thread in your opening post if you like Don, for easy access between the two.

I think this topic will play and play.  It took me somewhat by surprise today!

And weren't DC saying about 6 months or so ago, while marketing a bunch of books, that there wouldn't be any upheavals for a while as they had to let the characters bed down after 5-6 years of constant rebooting and tweaking?

It's been twenty-five years since the COIE and DC is still has the same problems. The same characters' backstories are still in question or worse have grown more confusing. Every subsequent change has raised more questions, all in an attempt to "simplify" things. Restarting from scratch may well be the only way to truly revitalize our heroes and villains.

As an example, Roy Harper was revealed to be a drug addict FORTY YEARS AGO! And that's how he's portrayed still. He went from Speedy to Arsenal to Red Arrow, joined the New Teen Titans, the Suicide Squad, the non-teen Titans to finally the Justice League. He had a child out of wedlock with Cheshire, Lian was his world, she was killed, he's now teaming with villains including Cheshire. He is a character literally being smothered by his own continuity. And you could bring up many more DC characters like Donna Troy, Mon-El, Lex Luthor, Jason Todd, the Marvel Family, Black Canary and, of course, the prime "victims" of Wonder Woman and Hawkman.

I hope that this "new" DCU works for them. That they can tell new, innovative, enjoyable and well done stories with the next versions of their classic heroes, freeing them from their burdened pasts.

As for me, I welcome the change though I will always remember the past. 

I like the idea that we may get fixes for some really terrible choices DC has made over the years.

Billy Batson won't be the Wizard, for example.

One thing I wonder, though, will this be "a new beginning" for every title and character? Or will there be the presumption that these guys already have a history? There's two options for this. Will we meet Batman right on Day One, Year One, or will see a "new" Batman that is written as if he has been around for years? A world where Robin I has already become Nightwing, Robin II died in a battle with the Joker and we're just beginning on Robin III.

Option One really does mark an honest relaunch. Option Two is really just more of the same.

A hint from the other thread suggests Option Two.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service