That darn Barry Alllen! He comes back and leaves a mess all over the place!

DC relaunches all titles post-Flashpoint

Views: 1524

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Figserello said:

Maybe his parents will be alive after the reboot?  C'mon, 70 years he's been on that schtick!

70 years? More like 30. Batman wasn't harping about his parents' deaths all the time during the Golden Age, the Silver Age or most of the Bronze Age.
Maybe they'll reboot the Waynes as bad parents and little Bruce turns into Batman after being free to express himself! To say what he wants, do what he wants and act like he wants! Usually with a lot of fists! ;-)
ClarkKent_DC said:
Batman wasn't harping about his parents' deaths all the time during the Golden Age, the Silver Age or most of the Bronze Age.

Honestly? I can't think of a single story in the last 30 years where it's gotten more than a mention, aside from issues where it happens to be a specific plot point, like the Blackest Night: Batman mini. In fact, I can't think of any others at all.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

Check out the Secret Headquarters (my store) website! Comics and Games for Everyone!

I used to listen to WOXY.com; It was the future of rock-n-roll! RIP WOXY

Dagwan said:
ClarkKent_DC said:
Batman wasn't harping about his parents' deaths all the time during the Golden Age, the Silver Age or most of the Bronze Age.

Honestly? I can't think of a single story in the last 30 years where it's gotten more than a mention, aside from issues where it happens to be a specific plot point, like the Blackest Night: Batman mini. In fact, I can't think of any others at all.

Yes, but how many stories have made Batman's parent's deaths a specific plot point? I'll wager there were far, far more in the past 30 years than in the preceding 40.

Blackest Night was the only one I can recall. Perhaps someone else who is more Batman-centric could pull up more from their memories.

Can you recall specific stories?

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

Check out the Secret Headquarters (my store) website! Comics and Games for Everyone!

Batman: Death & The Maidens dealt quite a bit with Batman's memories of his mother. 

Burbaker (I think) wrote a story where he reopened the Wayne murder case.

I love this book. On Earth-Jupiter, it's canon that Bruce's mother interacted with him in spectral form.

Rob Staeger said:

Batman: Death & The Maidens dealt quite a bit with Batman's memories of his mother.

It wasn't a bad book, but it made Talia a pathetic wuss just to big up Rucka's Talia mk II. And then DC threw it in the continuity dustbin anyway.

So, that's 5 stories there. Was Batman actually harping over their death, or was the fact that they had died just part of the story?

Because honestly, I can recall more articles, posts, a comic strips where people complain about Batman whining about his parents than actual stories where he does it. It seems to be something that people seriously exaggerate about, and enjoy complaining about, than something that actually happens enough to really warrant complaining about.

And let's be honest, if your parents were murdered right in front of you as a child, the odds are you'd think about it every so often whether you were a vigilante or not. My daughter Chloe Laurel died in utero 5 and a half years ago, and I think about her every day. The fact that he isn't shown talking or thinking about their deaths more often is what should be considered odd.

IMHO.

"Continuity Dustbin" would make a good band name.
OK, having looked over the free promo thing I got from my local on Wednesday, that was all about DC's "new 52", the only ones that look even remotely interesting are Justice League International  and Frankenstein, Agent of S.H.A.D.E.

My local comic book shop clerk/manager is telling me that this feels like a giantic jumping off point for many of his regular customers.... either, they have gone home for the summer from this college town, or, they just can't afford comics anymore.  And so, as an abrupt change, this is the end for many of his DC customers.

As a Marvel fan, I'm sorry to DC mis-step cause in the long run, it will affect the total number of comic book readers...and the profitability of my local comic shop, which has been just hanging on by the fingernails for some years now.  Standing orders were, no ordering of extra copies unless it's already a major seller... and no special orders without a firm commitment to buy...cash up front.   That's how this economy REALLY is, mr. Obama.
JeffCarter said:

Meh. I think this looks like what is probably a safe jumping-off point for me as far as DC goes. I came on in 1989, shortly after the first Crisis, and just in the last couple of years I've become much more Marvel than DC, with the exception of Vertigo. This appears to be a good time to say goodbye to DC, at least for a little while.

I'm not saying I'll never read them again, but I'm just saying I'll probably take a bit of a break for awhile, and maybe come back, pick up some trades down the road once they've seen what works and what doesn't.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Latest Activity

The Baron replied to The Baron's discussion The List of Super-Hero Teams
"Second-guessing myself a bit, here:  Should hero "organizations"  that…"
53 minutes ago
"Also added the Hero League from Precarious Woman Executive Miss Black General and…"
1 hour ago
"Will add."
1 hour ago
"You didn't see the Freshmen bcause I'd never heard of them, but I will add them. As…"
1 hour ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Randy Jackson's discussion The List of Super Villain Teams
"Recombatants"
1 hour ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to The Baron's discussion The List of Super-Hero Teams
"Infinity Watch"
1 hour ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
1 hour ago
Dave Palmer replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"For the 13th"
1 hour ago
JD DeLuzio replied to The Baron's discussion The List of Super-Hero Teams
"You have the Great Lakes Avengers, the Mystery Men, and the Inferior Five, but I don't see…"
10 hours ago
JD DeLuzio replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"For the thirteenth:"
10 hours ago
Philip Portelli replied to Randy Jackson's discussion The List of Super Villain Teams
"Death Squad (Iron Man) The Enforcers (Spider-Man) The Evil Eight (Dial H For Hero) Forgotten…"
12 hours ago
"Added them, and also the 99."
12 hours ago

© 2022   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service