Here's the story in USA Today:

I've been hanging onto the DC train for years waiting for a clear opportunity to jump off, and here it is. Anything they publish from that point on, I'll read the reviews and, if it seems like something I'll like, I'll buy in trade paperback. I've been waiting for the classic Justice League lineup to return, and that's happening, so I'll get that. My son has been a Green Lantern fan all his life, so I'll continue to get those titles for him. Unless Manhunter from Mars or Adam Strange get their own series, we'll just have to wait and see what else they do.

Hoy

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• In that I pay no attention to the DCU currently, it can only be a good thing for me. Whether it's enough of a good thing to make a difference is the big question. As usual, I think there's a real risk that they'll turn off all those people who have been following along and like it without making a compelling enough case to attract anyone new.

I'm kind of surprised that they're essentially doing what they refused to do 25 years ago with Crisis and start with all new #1s, without even a major event to kick it off. Will all the characters be fresh or have all their Blackest Night/Identity Crisis, etc. baggage? Hopefully, they know better than to restart Action and Detective at #1, but who really knows how they think?

>>In September, more than 50 more first issues will debut, introducing readers to stories that are grounded in each character's specific legend but also reflect today's real-world themes and events.<<

I certainly would have liked an example here. I have a feeling this just means more grim and gritty kinds of stuff because that's what's "real-world". But we'll see.

>>Lee spearheaded the redesign of more than 50 costumes to make characters more identifiable and accessible to comic fans new and old.<<

He redesigned costumes to make them MORE identifiable? Because nothing makes a character more easily identified than giving him a look that nobody has seen before? I sometimes wonder if they just randomly pull these adjectives out of their marketing handbook. I won't even discuss how new costumes make them more "accessible."

>>DC is making issues of all the renumbered titles available digitally via apps and a DC website the same day they arrive in comic shops.<<

I can't imagine that retailers are happy about that. It may expand the pie, it's hard to say. It also may shrink the retail universe and cut off ancillary sales. If we can buy JLA online, we'll never learn about the other comics that we'd have seen if we'd gone to the store.

I do think, if digital comics are going to be the wave of the future, that apps make the most sense, as they do for magazines. It may be via individual title subscriptions or access to a range of titles in a library. That seems more likely than a person going to the DC website, scrolling through options and download comics pages.

It's more important just how complex the new DCU is and whether I can read a series or, perish the thought, an issue and understand it without needing 57 other titles that month to get the story. *That* would make it way more "accessible" than Jim Lee's costumes will.

Thanks for posting that, Hoy! I'll have to keep up with updates. If nothing else, it'll be interesting to see what they do when they think they're being mavericks and starting things new. As usual, I am prepared to be underwhelmed, but I'm keeping an open mind.

-- MSA

• I'm pretty sure they're still doing the print versions, aren't they? If not, then I'm DEFINITELY out. I didn't pick up on that fact, because that sucks.

Mark S. Ogilvie said:
    Maybe, but I have no digital device to read it on.  No kindle, nook, ipad, smartphone...are comics leaving me behind?
  • Does a laptop count as a digital device? I might actually consider paying 99 cents to get JONAH HEX in a digital format the day it's released rather than waiting for the TPB collection... but that's just about the only comic I'd pay for. Well, maybe FABLES, too. That's assuming, of course, that DC sells its digital editions for 99 cents. Anything more than that... I'll stick to the public library for my comics.

I think DC is getting very close to the ultimate solution: Have EVERY issue be numbered # 1, every time. You missed the September 2011 SUPERMAN # 1? Don't sweat it -- you can pick up the October 2011 SUPERMAN # 1 the following month.

• It sounds from the story as if they're restarting 52 comics at #1 and then putting those pages online for downloading the same day they go on sale at the store. DC has more than 52 comics just in its DCU line, much less with its Vertigo, Wildstorm, DC Kids, etc. lines. So this could be strictly the DCU super-heroes (leaving out JONAH HEX and others) or it could involve those that they start and stop all the time (leaving out ACTION, ADVENTURE, DETECTIVE, BATMAN, etc.)

It's unlikely they'll be extending this to Vertigo titles, at least at this point, I would think. Those are fairly self-contained. Restarting FABLES or any of those others at #1 would be strange. Likewise, I don't know if they'll be part of the digital program, but they'd seem to be good bets for that.

There's no mention of what those downloads will cost. They may not be 99 cents, but I'd have to think they'll be cheaper, since we don't get a hard copy that we can collect with all our other titles. 

But I suppose we *can* still trade and sell those digital copies, right? So Dave, once you finish reading JH, forward it to me...

-- MSA

• What we know so far...

Included in the 52 series will be:

A new title starring Superman written by Grant Morrison.

Birds of Prey #1 - This new ongoing series will not feature the work of longtime "BoP" writer Gail Simone. In fact, many tried and true approaches to books will be getting a second look at DC in September.

Teen Titans #1 - The new start for the teen team will be written by "Red Robin" scribe Fabian Nicieza.

Justice Society of America #1 - Only one of a number of current titles that will welcome a creative team shift, the future of the original superhero team will apparently not involve current writer Marc Guggenheim.

Wonder Woman #1 - Don't expect the recent changes from writer J. Michael Straczynski to stick when the Amazing Amazon sees another new #1 hit.

Green Lantern #1 - Even with a new #1, Green Lantern remains in Johns' hands, and readers can expect the effects of major crossovers like "Blackest Night" to stay in place moving forward.

Hawkman #1 - While fans have known a "Hawkman" series by James Robinson has been in the works since the writer mentioned it on a panel at New York Comic Con, Bleeding Cool's Rich Johnston has been reporting the rumor that the book will be drawn by "Batman & Robin" and "Outsiders" artist Philip Tan.

Aquaman #1 - No surprises here. The already announced series featuring the sea king by Johns and Ivan Reis will be part of the relaunch wave.

The other seismic shakeup that remains unconfirmed is whether long-standing titles "Action Comics" and "Detective Comics" would also renumber with brand new first issues. However, at this time, CBR has found no confirmation one way or the other on the fate of those titles. DC Comics offered no comment on the above information.
  • Superman #1 by Grant Morrison is enough for me to see this as a positive move.
  • "There's no mention of what those downloads will cost. They may not be 99 cents, but I'd have to think they'll be cheaper, since we don't get a hard copy that we can collect with all our other titles.

But I suppose we *can* still trade and sell those digital copies, right? So Dave, once you finish reading JH, forward it to me..."

Justice League: Generation Lost was $2.99 per issue digitally when first released day-and-date. After a few months, the price drops to $1.99. Same thing with DC's current day-and-date title Young Justice, based on the animated series. I expect that this will remain the model since one thing DC is not trying to do is hurt "brick and mortar" retailers.

Now, some people are going to be all "Why spend the same amount if I can't have a physical copy to hold?" My opinion is, "Hey, I can spend the same amount and I won't have a physical copy that I have to find a place to store!"

As for sharing...not really. Not unless you a) loan a friend your iPad that has the issue downloaded to it or b) give a friend your login and password to the website. The only people I share with any more are my wife and son, so neither of those are problems for me.

• I love, or used to love, the Justice Society, but, if I were going to reboot the DCU, I'd do whatever I could to make Superman first again, even if that meant dumping the JSA.
  • Ultimately, I've decide this means very little to me. I doubt this will get me to buy any comic I normally wouldn't buy.  Morrison on Superman doesn't do anything for me really, he is very hit or miss for my tastes. I will just see what it looks like when it comes time to order it...or not.
  • If DC dumped the JSA, they'd be dumping the last DC Comics I read.
This reply was deleted.