Here's the story in USA Today:

I've been hanging onto the DC train for years waiting for a clear opportunity to jump off, and here it is. Anything they publish from that point on, I'll read the reviews and, if it seems like something I'll like, I'll buy in trade paperback. I've been waiting for the classic Justice League lineup to return, and that's happening, so I'll get that. My son has been a Green Lantern fan all his life, so I'll continue to get those titles for him. Unless Manhunter from Mars or Adam Strange get their own series, we'll just have to wait and see what else they do.

Hoy

Views: 2272

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Alexandra Kitty said:

Then you are being extremely presumptuous, Dagwan -- and wrong. You forget I know the publishing business very well and not as an outsider -- I have had articles published about publishing as well as books for a very long time -- and I know "bold" always equals desperate ten times out of ten -- I have worked for one too many publications that went bold just before they folded.

Comics as a medium is not "dying" -- comics as a medium is being mismanaged by some -- and that can be easily remedied. That is all.

I think perhaps that in my preamble to the post above I should have use an "or" instead of the "and" in my "and what I meant above." Your post was about the big events and crossovers, while what I was talking about was marketing and advertising. I am aware of your publishing background, although certainly not the full extent of it. As I also said above, I meant no disrespect. I'm a long-term fan of your posts here, and your opinions do carry weight with me.

I will take your word for it that Bold=Desperate (most if not) all of the time, but as the saying goes, desperate times call for desperate measures. There's another saying, "fortune favors the bold" that fits here as well. Many of the greatest things ever done or created were done by those who were backed into a corner and made a bold move to reverse their fortunes. Greatness never attempted is greatness never achieved. While the content of the relaunch books will have to be read* to be judged great or not (and will be disagreed about even then!), I suggest that DC's bold marketing strategy is great already. There is not a person even remotely part of this medium that is not talking or thinking about this move.

As far as my statement about comics as a medium dying, I stand by it. All-star Batman #1 sold more than 300,000 copies just 6 years ago. The best-selling comics of 5 years ago numbered in the 200,000 range. Over the past 6 months, there have been multiple months where the top seller was below 100,000 copies. If a drop of 66% of the top end of the market over 6 years isn't dying a slow death, what is? When we have roughly 10% of the readership of The USA Today, something is wrong.

* I've always felt that the word "read" was inadequate for comics.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

Check out the Secret Headquarters (my store) website! Comics and Games for Everyone!

I used to listen to WOXY.com; It was the future of rock-n-roll! RIP WOXY

Captain Comics said:

To tell you the truth, my interest is most piqued by the non-superhero books, especially All-Star Western and Men of War. I love me some superheroes, but I'd sure like to see the war, Western and horror genres return. By the same token, I've got my fingers crossed for genre-mixers like Blackhawks, Suicide Squad, Frankenstein, Justice League Dark Chocolate, Demon Knights and I, Vampire, You Jane.

I've got no interest in Westerns, War, or Horror comics normally. I will certainly give these a shot though, since I read them for free (Y'know, except for all the business costs...), but I have low expectations for my enjoyment of them except Frankenstein. Jeff Lemire has continued to impress me comic after comic with his writing, and my expectations for him on this title are pretty high.

The ones I want to see succeed most are Mr. Terrific and Static Shock!

Both of those characters as previously written really appealed to me. Mr .Terrific's sincere atheism in a world where "gods" show up each Thursday to challenge his intellect may be in direct contrast to my Christian beliefs, but tickled my mind regularly.

When the Milestone Line launched, it was just amazing to me to see all of these different takes on the various archetypes, and the well, different voices, that they had. As a white male Christian (with ethnic Jewish roots), the Milestone books opened my eyes to the sheer multitude of different experiences that the people of this country who have different ethnicities, incomes, and environments can have. Somehow, seeing the melting pot that this country is reflected in super-hero comics, that most science fiction-y of genres, made the reality of the experiences of those "others" more real to me than just reading about it or watching it on TV. It helped, I'm sure that they were all so well-written and drawn.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

Check out the Secret Headquarters (my store) website! Comics and Games for Everyone!

I used to listen to WOXY.com; It was the future of rock-n-roll! RIP WOXY

Dagwan said: "As far as my statement about comics as a medium dying, I stand by it."

I expect comics to survive in SOME form, although that form may be as yet unknown to us. People have been telling stories with drawings since the caveman days; it seems to be a basic human impulse. Whether they'll be on paper or something else, I don't know. People have been predicting the death of the pamphlet for 20 years (at least), but they're still around.

I've probably mentioned this before, but maybe comic books have become like jazz music -- a once popular form that is now mainly kept alive by dedicated fans and collectors. Jazz albums no longer sell in the numbers they enjoyed 50 years ago, but jazz is certainly not dead.

Alexandra Kitty said: "comics as a medium is being mismanaged by some"

You could say the same of the newspaper business, as I know from first-hand experience.

Comics and newspapers are in trouble because too many people in the executive offices have no idea what they're doing.

And yet they keep getting bonuses, while everyone else gets laid off!

George said:

Alexandra Kitty said: "comics as a medium is being mismanaged by some"

You could say the same of the newspaper business, as I know from first-hand experience.

Comics and newspapers are in trouble because too many people in the executive offices have no idea what they're doing.

Wall Street loves layoffs -- it shows the companies are willing to be "lean and mean." These execs are trying to please Wall Street rather than the readers. But after a while, even the dimmest reader notices that fewer stories are being covered (because fewer reporters are employed) and more typos and other errors are getting into print (because of fewer copy editors). And the reader drops his subscription in disgust.

Ah Mark.  Today's lesson:  Everything changes (but you)

Mark S. Ogilvie said:

If he subscribes.  I buy the paper for the comics section.  If indeed comics are where radio was in the late 1940's and early 1950's or silent movies were in the late 1920's then we are in trouble.  Some titles will make it, just as some shows and movies stars made it.  But comics as what we knew seem to be doomed if Dagwan is correct.  As stated I can't afford an iPad unless I start saving now and buy one in... January and by that time most of the titles may be gone anyway.  Can my lcs even survive without DC?  Sure they tell us that they are going to keep putting out print, but how long can we trust that if digital takes off?  How can an lcs survive if even 20 to 30 percent of comic fans go digital and subscribe?

DC sent retailers a "new 52" FAQ. Here it is at icv2.com:

Part I

Part II

Is there a way for retailers without websites to sell DC Entertainment digital comics?

Who would ask this question? I can't believe they included it.  How would a retailer without a website get the digital comics to you?  Via Carrier pigeon perhaps?

This DC Affiliates thing looks interesting.  So I would buy my digital comics through my LCS website?  That's an interesting and thoughtful concession to the LCS's.

That's how Dark Horse says it's handling it, too, but I'm not a retailer and it will take a retailer to tell us if and how that works.

I'm not crazy about going digital 100%. Call me a traditionalist. Call me old-fashioned. Call me and we can share the w(h)ine! But I don't think comics will end. If nothing else, trades will still exist. I like having something tangible to read.

They mentioned Action and Detective not hitting #1000 because the future matters, not the past. I guess that they don't consider the past contributions of Siegel & Schuster, Kane & Finger, Fox, Moulton, Mayer, Nodell, Beck, Cole, Eisner, etc that important because they have to keep Johns, Lee, Morrison and the rest visions intact. Until the next reboot! *heh-heh* Rant over.....for now!

Their comment about continuity only proves my theory. Whatever the current writer needs for his rehashed new and innovative story will have occured. Superman may not be married but he still killed the Phantom Zone villains. Batman had Damian but never broke his back. Now I'm not sure that the original Teen Titans still exist! Or Wolfman & Perez's, which would just depress me no end!

I want to be optimistic but that's getting harder with every visual looking like the worst excesses of the 90s back to haunt us!

It all sounds good to me.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Latest Activity

Lee Houston, Junior replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Here's one roller coaster I think my cardiologist would still let me ride, provided I could…"
1 minute ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Swamp Thing
"ISSUE #119: Tefé is taken by the "bad man" to her "new home" where…"
41 minutes ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to The Baron's discussion Movies I Have Seen Lately
"OTOH, if Connery had stuck around, Cubby Broccoli might not have tried the "back to…"
48 minutes ago
ClarkKent_DC replied to The Baron's discussion RIP Olivia Newton-John
"Although Xanadu is maligned as one of the worst films ever, and I'm sure it has not aged…"
2 hours ago
doc photo replied to The Baron's discussion Movies I Have Seen Lately
"If Sean Connery had stuck around for OHMSS I believe it would be ranked at or near the top of the…"
2 hours ago
doc photo replied to The Baron's discussion RIP Olivia Newton-John
"My buddies and I were all in love with her back in the Seventies. May she rest in peace."
2 hours ago
Luis Olavo de Moura Dantas replied to Randy Jackson's discussion Did Paste Pot Pete/the Trapster ever admire Spider-Man's Webs?
"I don't think Trapster met Spider-Man before Marvel Team-Up #2 either.Spider-Man had  met…"
2 hours ago
Peter Wrexham replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"More carousels or merry-go-rounds, showing that what goes around comes around.  Alternatively,…"
2 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Sandman (TV)
"Well, yes... for all intents and purposes. there was a "Lady Johanna Constantine" in the…"
4 hours ago
Dave Palmer replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
4 hours ago
JD DeLuzio replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
4 hours ago
The Baron replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Sandman (TV)
"She's playing the "John Constantine" part, isn't she?  At least,…"
5 hours ago

© 2022   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service