I applaud what DC is doing with their covers this month: character shots and large logos against a white background. DC tends to be more inventive than Marvel when it comes to themed covers: first those “portrait” covers (10 or so years ago), then the ones that incorporated the title into the cover design, now these. Comic books are relatively expensive these days, but back in the day when they were 60 cents apiece, I would’ve bought every one. I wonder if there are any young fanboys today doing so just because of the covers?

Views: 107

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I was indifferent to these covers to begin with. Then I picked up my comics for the month and there were about 5 or 6 of them in there. They look pretty good if I do say so myself. They're very dynamic. I tend to be a less is more guy when it comes to art of any kind, so these work well for me.
It's a gimmick, sure, but it worked for me.

I have to admit I was suckered in by some of the one-shots. The Congorilla/Starman, the Steel, and the Shazam issues were all on my lists, even if they were mostly just okay.

Didn't Marvel do this last fall with there Secret Avengers's covers???
Do Marvel and DC ever do minor crossovers these days - say, a Flash/Green Lantern two-parter that starts in Flash and ends in Green Lantern?
X-Men Legacy and New Mutants are doing a minor crossover right now, a 6-part story that alternates between the two titles.
Secret Six did two recently, the first with Lex Luthor's Action Comics, and the second with The Doom Patrol.

As I'm sure most of you know, but no one has seemed to mention, all of DC's white background portrait covers were on the January releases to mark the start of the "Holding the line at $2.99" campaign with the reduction to 20 pages of story and art. Unless someone knows otherwise, the Johnny DC and Vertigo lines were not a part of this.

Flipping through my recent purchases, the creative teams involved with the books I read seem to be doing pretty good with two less pages to work with every month, so far.

And I do agree with the opinions concerning Gotham City Sirens #18.

But then again, as a busy writer/editor myself, I am sadly way behind in my actual reading, having just finished the last issue (#7) of DC's Final Crisis last night!

Anybody care to explain it to me? Or should I just think of it as "DC spent seven issues building up to hit the 'Cosmic Reset' button again" and move on? Because I was expecting more of an action packed climax after Part 6, although all the various aspects of the DC Universe suddenly showing up to rally against the forces of evil, including the possible restoration of Captain Carrot and His Amazing Zoo Crew, was pretty dramatic. 

I... just finished the last issue (#7) of DC's Final Crisis last night! Anybody care to explain it to me? Or should I just think of it as "DC spent seven issues building up to hit the 'Cosmic Reset' button again" and move on?

Wow, Lee, you are behind! I've read it twice myself, once as it was coming out then a second time later after it was complete. Although it does "read" better in a single sitting, I think you'd be safe going with option #2.
Vertigo, I believe, has been reduced to a 20-page count as well. I recall Jason Aaron writing a column about what it would do to an upcoming arc in Scalped. I'd be surprised if this wasn't also the case for Johnny DC.

Anybody care to explain it to me? Or should I just think of it as "DC spent seven issues building up to hit the 'Cosmic Reset' button again" and move on? Because I was expecting more of an action packed climax after Part 6, although all the various aspects of the DC Universe suddenly showing up to rally against the forces of evil, including the possible restoration of Captain Carrot and His Amazing Zoo Crew, was pretty dramatic.

I thought it was a large turd myself, and it effectively put me off all crossovers for the foreseeable future. I haven't read one since Final Crisis.

As Jeff of Earth J pointed out: "Wow, Lee, you are behind!"

Out of the three titles published by Pro Se Productions (www.proseproductions.com), I'm writing two different series (HUGH MONN, PRIVATE DETECTIVE for Masked Gun Mystery and WYLDE WORLD for Peculiar Adventures), while editing their third title Fantasy and Fear; as well as being the Editor-In-Chief of The Free Choice E-zine at www.thefreechoice.info AND recently edited Raye Knight: Spellbound as a favor for its writer/creator Tori Pagac; with art by Lou Manna, available at Indy Planet.

Yet in all honesty, after years of trying to break into the writing market, I wouldn't have it any other way! (End of shameless plug.)

But getting back to the subject at hand: dramatic rallying points, if handled properly, can be pretty entertaining; like in the "Journey's End" episode of Doctor Who during David Tennant's tenure.

While that was a good moment in the climax, what I was expecting was more of an action packed finale. I have reread issue 7 again and am still scratching my head over it, although no one theoretically being able to hurt Darkseid without hurting everyone else was pretty clever.

But it's time to move forward. When I get to it, hopefully Blackest Night will be better.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service