Deck Log Entry # 191 What's on TV in the DC Universe?

How many of these DCU shows do you remember?

Views: 700

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

IIRC, that story was a remake of an earlier Batman story with the same ending!

Still, it was a great story and a greater anniversary issue!

Eric L. Sofer said:

Commander, in your mention of Roy Raymond, I hope you purchased Detective Comics #500. In addition to being a treasure trove of great stories and art, it has "The 'Too Many Cooks' Caper" - technically a Slam Bradley story, but in reality, a nice story by Len Wein and Jim Aparo teaming up a number of DC's Silver Age detectives - Pow Wow Smith, Captain Compass, the Human Target, Jason Bard, and of course, Roy Raymond.

It's a great tale told in a compact manner, and spotlighted with Jim Aparo art. And of course, the punchline to this detective story is delivered by Roy - "Impossible, but true." It's a gem, and I hope you own it, or that you've read it. Shucks, if you don't have it, I'd get one and send it to you - the book is THAT good.

Philip Portelli said:

IIRC, that story was a remake of an earlier Batman story with the same ending!

Which is the reason why I wasn't as enraptured with "The Too Many Cooks Caper" as you and Mr. Sherman and my old friend, the Fogey, were.

It wasn't a remake---a remake acknowledges that it's a new vision of an original work---rather, it was a swipe, by Len Wein.  I'll add the caveat that I don't have my copy of Detective Comics # 500 handy to check.  But I remember when I read "The Too Many Cooks Caper", that I immediately recognized it as having the same premise, plot, and surprise denouement as "The Case Batman Failed to Solve", from Batman # 14 (Dec., 1942-Jan., 1943), and I recall looking for some sort of acknowledgement in the story or the letter column that it was a copy of the older story, written by Don Cameron.  And as I recall, I never found such an acknowledgement.  If it turns out I'm wrong about that and the issue did acknowledge the earlier story, I'll retract my more critical term.

But, even calling it a remake doesn't make it an impressive story to me.  Mr. Wein simply told me a tale I'd already heard.  It was fun to see all of those characters from the old Detective Comics back-up series, but I would have preferred an original story with more pages.

That was one of the two downchecks for me in Detective Comics # 500.  Fortunately, the excellent lead story compensated for the things that bugged me.

But Commander, we all know that many a Silver Age Superman story's plot were reused from older Superman stories. If not taken from old sci-fi pulp magazines!

In fact, the first Batman story, "The Case of the Chemical Syndicate" was taken from a Shadow tale!

Philip Portelli said:

But Commander, we all know that many a Silver Age Superman story's plot were reused from older Superman stories. If not taken from old sci-fi pulp magazines!

In fact, the first Batman story, "The Case of the Chemical Syndicate" was taken from a Shadow tale!

Yes, we do---and I have the same complaint about them.

Commander, fair enough. I don't believe I've read the earlier story, but I can see why it would give you a sour taste in your mouth. Plagiarism doesn't strike me so well either. And surely by the time Detective 500 came out, a writer of Len Wein's caliber could have come up with an original story. Thanks for making us aware of that.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2017   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service