Replies

• Just the Roy Raymond one, I'm afraid.

• I remember most of the shows (in fact, when ever Marvel mentions Warren Worthington's uncle, the first Earth-616 Dazzler, I always picture the DC TV character instead for some reason)  I even remember at least some of the DCU actors & celebrities who are appearing on tonight's episode, even if I can't remember whether it was Mr. Element or Dr. Alchemy who was the "reformed super-criminal", but I'd love to know (or perhaps just be reminded of) where the rest came from.

• Oh, how much fun! I recall "I Remember Superboy", "The Steve Allen Show"*, "Impossible But True", and "Midnight Scare Theatre."

Was "Heroes" not broadcast in Metropolis? I guess maybe not, since there were no Metropolitans on it.

And how about "Our American Heroes"? "This Is Your Life"? "Candid Camera"?

And I'm racking my brain, but I cannot remember any specific TV shows on Metropolis TV in the 30th century. I'm pretty sure there was television... I think the Legionnaires were on TV in Adventure #300, and I think Supergirl and Brainiac 5's admission to the Legion was televised.

Y'know, Commander, you always leave me thinking! It's probably good practice for me.

• What time was Johnny Nevada on?

• Dave Elyea said:

I even remember at least some of the DCU actors & celebrities who are appearing on tonight's episode, even if I can't remember whether it was Mr. Element or Dr. Alchemy who was the "reformed super-criminal", but I'd love to know (or perhaps just be reminded of) where the rest came from.

I inserted at least two dozen, by my count, references to persons, places, or things from DC silver-age stories. That was part of the fun: to see how many of them you guys would get. I'll provide the list after enough folks have had a chance to read the piece and figure it out for themselves.

• ClarkKent_DC said:

What time was Johnny Nevada on?

According to Action Comics # 442 (Dec., 1974), Nevada's show, The Midnight Show, aired at mid-night.  Unfortunately they came from the Bronze Age, so  I couldn't include it or him.

• 1936773971?profile=originalCandid Camera was on, too!

"We thought it would be funny....."

•  Eric L. Sofer said:

Was "Heroes" not broadcast in Metropolis? I guess maybe not, since there were no Metropolitans on it.

And how about "Our American Heroes"? "This Is Your Life"? "Candid Camera"?

Always a pleasure to see you chime in, Fogey!  I had, in fact, considered all of those programmes, and ultimately rejected them.

You see, even in those pre-Prime-Time Access Rule days, I had only four prime-time hours to fill with network shows.  And I wanted to fill them, as best I could, with a representative sample of television genres.  What I had in abundance were reality shows and audience-participation programmes.  The ones you mentioned, plus I Remember Superboy and Impossible, But True and People Are Whacky and The Eye of Metropolis.  I didn't want to fill all of my slots with that type of programming.

Impossible, But True was too much of a DC icon to exclude.  And I Remember Superboy screams "WMET-TV", so I had to put it in.  People Are Whacky got the nod, frankly, because I have a good deal of respect for Art Linkletter, the real-life host of the real-life version, People Are Funny.

I wasn't able to find a situation comedy within the conceit of the Silver-Age DC mythos, but fortunately, I did find a crime-drama, The Dazzler.  Even more fortunate was the fact that it had been established that Earth-One also had a Steve Allen and a Steve Allen Show.  At that time, The Steve Allen Show was a prime-time offering in real life, so it fit right in.

And The Eye of Metropolis just the sort of intense, issues-of-the-day programme that would have run on a Friday night (as implied by the addition of Midnight Scare Theater; another stroke of luck was that People Are Whacky was also supposed to run on Friday nights, per the story in which it appeared).

The other reality-type shows---the ones you mentioned---just didn't make the cut.  But one or more of them will probably be there, if I do a second entry of television in the DC Universe.  But before that, I want to do a "Television in the Marvel Universe" and, believe me, that's arduous.  I've found only two programmes I can use, so far.

Always enjoy your two cents, my friend.

• Sitcom-wise the only issue I can suggest is Green Lantern #52, which revealed My Mother the Car existed in the DC universe.

(corrected)

• Fantastic Four#203 had a mutant accidentally create distorted versions of the FF that ran amok. Seeing them on TV, the Torch asked what the heck was the Thing watching. Ben said "Whatever it is, it sure ain't our new TV show. YOU'RE on it!" So The New Fantastic Four "Now together with HERBIE the Robot" existed in the Marvel Universe.

Also Saturday Night Live (Marvel Team-Up#74) and Late Night With David Letterman (Avengers#239).

In Flash#212 Abra Kadabra took over the top kids show on the air (forget the name of it but it looked pretty goofy) and Flash entered his TV set to fight him.

Jerry Lewis existed in the DC Universe so Will The Real Jerry Lewis Please Sit Down probably does too. (I've read Jerry hates the show and won't allow it to be released on DVD.)

This reply was deleted.