Deck Log Entry # 226 The Silver-Age Challenge---the Legion of Super-Heroes Edition II

At the conclusion of last year's Silver-Age challenge, I told you guys that I already had the questions for this year's quiz prepared.  Well, I did, as in past tense.  Last week, when I gave them a final scrubbing, I discovered that I had forgotten that I had already asked one of them in my first Legion quiz seven years ago.  Another one was so similar to a question from that 2013 LSH quiz that it would have been too easy to find the answer. 

 

And when I checked a third poser to see how Google-proof it was, one of the hits took me back to a comment I posted three years ago on one of the General Comics Discussions threads, a comment which gave away the answer.

 

So I had to generate three new questions to throw at you.  Fortunately, one of them turned out to be better than any of those I tossed out.  By "better", I mean that it's strong in that "Hey, I didn't know that!" quality which makes the answers fun for folks to learn.  The other two, alas, are clearly from "the Legion of Substitute Questions", but they'll serve in a pinch.

You old vets of my Silver-Age challenges are already flexing your typing fingers.  But, as always, for any test-takers who're here because they landed on this page while looking for something else and decided, "What the hey, I 'll give it a go!", here are the rules---with one special change that even the veterans should note:

 

1.  All of the questions, and answers, are drawn from Silver-Age material.  Ordinarily, that means anything produced by DC from the publication of Showcase # 4 (Sep.-Oct., 1956) to December, 1968, which I demark as the end of the Silver Age.  However, just as with the last Legion quiz, I draw a special demarcation for this one; the parameters are slightly narrowed from the usual beginning-to-end of the Silver Age envelope.  Here, all the questions and all the answers will fall between the time frame marked from the Legion’s first appearance, in Adventure Comics # 247 (Apr., 1958), to the last Silver-Age Legion story penciled by Curt Swan, in Adventure Comics # 372 (Sep., 1968).

 

Note, though, that the questions and answers can come from any publication; it's just that the time frame is bound by those two issues of Adventure Comics

 

2.  I’m definitely not infallible.  I might have missed something, somewhere, in twelve years of DC publication.  If you come up with an answer that meets the criteria of the question and can cite the Silver-Age reference, then I will gladly award you credit.  “But I always thought . . . “ explanations won’t cut it, though.

 

3.  I’ve got no problem with anybody using a search engine to look for answers.  I try to make my questions as immune to Googling as possible.  The right answers are difficult to find with a search engine, though I cannot say impossible.  At least once, I tripped myself up when an article I had written for another site contained the answer to a question from that year’s quiz, and one of the players found it.

 

4.  There are no prizes.  You’re playing for bragging rights.

Any time I post a Deck Log entry involving the Legion of Super-Heroes, I get a considerable amount of activity.  And, sometimes, controversy, too---but the sort that is well-mannered and respectful when men of good will disagree, and that sort is always welcome.  So, we'll probably see the same thing this time.  At least, I hope so, if I done my job as quizmaster well enough.

 

O.K., then, here we go!  As usual, I'll start off with a lob . . .

 

1.  Who was the first non-charter member of the Legion of Substitute Heroes?

 

2.  Who is the leader of the Legion Espionage Squad and which Legionnaires are permanently assigned to the squad?

 

3.  On what 20th-century television programme did the Legion make a guest appearance?

 

4.  On what world is Element Lad's super-power viewed as criminal and results in planetary banishment?

 

5.  Besides their super-son, which Legionnaires have Ma and Pa Kent knowingly met?

 

6.  Excluding the Adult Legion stories, name all of the Legionnaires who, at some point after joining the Legion, permanently replaced their super-hero names with new ones.

 

7.  Thanks to the machinations of Dream Girl, Lightning Lass was expelled from the Super-Hero Club for violating what provision of the Legion Constitution?

 

8.  Other than Luthor, what recurring 20th-century super-villain from Earth was mentioned by name in a Legion story appearing in Adventure Comics?

 

9.  According to the Legion Constitution, what is the maximum number of successive space missions a Legionnaire may undertake without a rest period?

 

10.  We all know that Cosmic Boy was the Legion's first leader, right?  But how do we know this?  Where---comic and issue number---was that first definitively established?

 

 

Good luck, gang!

Views: 1382

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion


Misery in Spades said:

SPOILER ALERT  The really weird thing about that picture is that Superboy's image was lifted from the cover of Adventure 318, which in turn was, I believe, taken from Superboy 105, in which red kryptonite gave him 5 fingers and a thumb on each hand, because if you scroll up to the image on the header and magnify it several times, you'll notice that Supes is holding that piece of paper with 5 fingers (and a thumb which, assumedly, is hidden behind the paper).

Which I just finished fixing in the banner above.  I had been putting together a post describing how I recreated the "Legion Outpost" banner to use as art for this Deck Log entry.  (Just copying and pasting the banner from one of the lettercols was unacceptable for all of the reasons mentioned above---miscolourisations and the image of Superboy out of perspective.)

Part of that post described how I used the insert of Superboy from the cover of Adventure Comics # 318 (Mar., 1964), and that insert was culled from a panel in "The Simpleton of Steel", from Superboy # 105 (Jun., 1963).  That's when I caught on to your red-kryptonite reference.

Being the perfectionist that I am, I had to go back and alter my banner to reflect the Boy of Steel with only four digits showing.  After I finished and re-posted the art, I saw that you had already revealed the answer.

Good question, sir!

Thanks, Commander, but you really had me confused when I went to the header again, and I noticed it was different--I thought that I had hallucinated the whole thing; most embarrassing!

Commander Benson said:


Misery in Spades said:

SPOILER ALERT  The really weird thing about that picture is that Superboy's image was lifted from the cover of Adventure 318, which in turn was, I believe, taken from Superboy 105, in which red kryptonite gave him 5 fingers and a thumb on each hand, because if you scroll up to the image on the header and magnify it several times, you'll notice that Supes is holding that piece of paper with 5 fingers (and a thumb which, assumedly, is hidden behind the paper).

Which I just finished fixing in the banner above.  I had been putting together a post describing how I recreated the "Legion Outpost" banner to use as art for this Deck Log entry.  (Just copying and pasting the banner from one of the lettercols was unacceptable for all of the reasons mentioned above---miscolourisations and the image of Superboy out of perspective.)

Part of that post described how I used the insert of Superboy from the cover of Adventure Comics # 318 (Mar., 1964), and that insert was culled from a panel in "The Simpleton of Steel", from Superboy # 105 (Jun., 1963).  That's when I caught on to your red-kryptonite reference.

Being the perfectionist that I am, I had to go back and alter my banner to reflect the Boy of Steel with only four digits showing.  After I finished and re-posted the art, I saw that you had already revealed the answer.

Good question, sir!

What was embarrassing for me is:  you have no idea how long I worked on recreating that banner.  I wasn't satisfied with the insert of Superboy that DC had used because it was too large when set against the other Legionnaires seated there.  So I went through every issue that I could find that had Superboy drawn by Swan and Klein.  But after a couple of hours of that, I still couldn't find any pose that worked better than the Superboy sigil from the cover of Adventure Comics # 318.

So I copied that.  Then I had to re-size it to properly fit in with the other characters.  Then I had to adjust the placement of Saturn Girl's arm and Cosmic Boy's hand.  I also had to properly colour Cos' collar as white---the original source had it miscoloured as pink.

Then I had to thicken most of the lines in the Superboy insert, because the size differential made the insert's lines thinner.  I had to re-colour Superboy's skin and costume, because the original colouration didn't match that of the group shot.

I couldn't figure out a way to have Superboy's raised hand extend downward and look natural, so I cheated and created a small podium that didn't look out of place.

I played with lines and colours and pixels for the better part of a day---and never once noticed that the Boy of Steel had one finger too many showing!

As always, your quizzes require great recall, great research skills, and a great love for the Silver Age, Commander... a perfect recipe for whiling away a few summer hours.

I have yet to answer all of the questions, but wanted to be sure I made some sort of showing before you gave us the answers. I hadn't been checking in and didn't realize you had posted these until a couple of days ago.

Okay, no more excuses. Here's what I have so far:

  1. Who was the first non-charter member of the Legion of Substitute Heroes?

            Star Boy

 

  1. Who is the leader of the Legion Espionage Squad and which Legionnaires are permanently assigned to the squad?

            Chameleon Boy (leader) Invisible Kid; Karate Kid; Brainiac 5; Phantom Girl; Shrinking Violet; Duo                    Damsel

 

  1. On what 20th-century television programme did the Legion make a guest appearance?

            "Our American Heroes," a show honoring Superman.

  1. On what world is Element Lad's super-power viewed as criminal and results in planetary banishment?

            I got nothing yet.  

  1. Besides their super-son, which Legionnaires have Ma and Pa Kent knowingly met?

            I'm going with Shadow Lass; Duo Damsel; Mon-El. I think here of the great Mordru two-parter.

            I don't think Ma and Pa ever knew that Lana (Insect Queen) Lang and Pete Ross were Legionnaires.

  1. Excluding the Adult Legion stories, name all of the Legionnaires who, at some point after joining the Legion, permanently replaced their super-hero names with new ones.

 

          Lone Wolf/ Timber Wolf; Lightning Lass/ Light Lass; Triplicate Girl/ Duo Damsel; Mystery Lad/ Element            Lad

 

  1. Thanks to the machinations of Dream Girl, Lightning Lass was expelled from the Super-Hero Club for violating what provision of the Legion Constitution?

            Clause 2-B: “No one without a super-power can be a member.”

 

  1. Other than Luthor, what recurring 20th-century super-villain from Earth was mentioned by name in a Legion story appearing in Adventure Comics?

 

          This is killing me because I think Brainiac is too obvious, but I'm going with him.. 

 

  1. According to the Legion Constitution, what is the maximum number of successive space missions a Legionnaire may undertake without a rest period?

           “Except in cases of dire emergency, no Legionnaire shall go on more than five successive space-                      missions without a rest-period, to prevent space-fatigue.”

            However, this provision was apparently removed -- or it conveniently disappeared -- over the years.

 

  1. We all know that Cosmic Boy was the Legion's first leader, right?  But how do we know this?  Where---comic and issue number---was that first definitively established?

            We found out in Superboy 147 (“Brande Industries erects a yellow, rocket-shaped clubhouse for the                trio, and their new computer selects Cosmic Boy as their leader.”)

 

 And now I can finally read the other answers!!

Keep 'em comin', Commander! Thanks again!

 

It’s been great fun following along; due to the current situation my comics are 400 miles away right now, so I haven’t been able to dig too deeply.  Another great quiz, thank you.

I don’t think this answers #10, but here is Jimmy receiving his honorary membership and it certainly looks like Cosmic Boy is the leader (JO #72, 1963).

A lot depends on the meaning of "knowingly." I added Supergirl to my original list because the Kents met her as Supergirl so they "know" who she is — but they didn't "know" she was a Legionnaire. I'm comfortable with the Commander's call whichever way he's interpreting it.

Prince Hal said:

As always, your quizzes require great recall, great research skills, and a great love for the Silver Age, Commander... a perfect recipe for whiling away a few summer hours.

I have yet to answer all of the questions, but wanted to be sure I made some sort of showing before you gave us the answers. I hadn't been checking in and didn't realize you had posted these until a couple of days ago.

Okay, no more excuses. Here's what I have so far:

  1. Who was the first non-charter member of the Legion of Substitute Heroes?

            Star Boy

 

  1. Who is the leader of the Legion Espionage Squad and which Legionnaires are permanently assigned to the squad?

            Chameleon Boy (leader) Invisible Kid; Karate Kid; Brainiac 5; Phantom Girl; Shrinking Violet; Duo                    Damsel

 

  1. On what 20th-century television programme did the Legion make a guest appearance?

            "Our American Heroes," a show honoring Superman.

  1. On what world is Element Lad's super-power viewed as criminal and results in planetary banishment?

            I got nothing yet.  

  1. Besides their super-son, which Legionnaires have Ma and Pa Kent knowingly met?

            I'm going with Shadow Lass; Duo Damsel; Mon-El. I think here of the great Mordru two-parter.

            I don't think Ma and Pa ever knew that Lana (Insect Queen) Lang and Pete Ross were Legionnaires.

  1. Excluding the Adult Legion stories, name all of the Legionnaires who, at some point after joining the Legion, permanently replaced their super-hero names with new ones.

 

          Lone Wolf/ Timber Wolf; Lightning Lass/ Light Lass; Triplicate Girl/ Duo Damsel; Mystery Lad/ Element            Lad

 

  1. Thanks to the machinations of Dream Girl, Lightning Lass was expelled from the Super-Hero Club for violating what provision of the Legion Constitution?

            Clause 2-B: “No one without a super-power can be a member.”

 

  1. Other than Luthor, what recurring 20th-century super-villain from Earth was mentioned by name in a Legion story appearing in Adventure Comics?

 

          This is killing me because I think Brainiac is too obvious, but I'm going with him.. 

 

  1. According to the Legion Constitution, what is the maximum number of successive space missions a Legionnaire may undertake without a rest period?

           “Except in cases of dire emergency, no Legionnaire shall go on more than five successive space-                      missions without a rest-period, to prevent space-fatigue.”

            However, this provision was apparently removed -- or it conveniently disappeared -- over the years.

 

  1. We all know that Cosmic Boy was the Legion's first leader, right?  But how do we know this?  Where---comic and issue number---was that first definitively established?

            We found out in Superboy 147 (“Brande Industries erects a yellow, rocket-shaped clubhouse for the                trio, and their new computer selects Cosmic Boy as their leader.”)

 

 And now I can finally read the other answers!!

Keep 'em comin', Commander! Thanks again!

 

Fraser Sherman said:

A lot depends on the meaning of "knowingly." 

For purposes of the question, "knowingly" means that Ma and Pa Kent were aware that they were in the presence of a member of the Legion.

Dang, that knocks out my Supergirl add-on answer.

Fraser

Commander Benson said:

Fraser Sherman said:

A lot depends on the meaning of "knowingly." 

For purposes of the question, "knowingly" means that Ma and Pa Kent were aware that they were in the presence of a member of the Legion.

Am I too late? TELL ME I'M NOT TOO LATE!!! Honest, I'm not looking at anyone's answers - honest! I just desperately need a challenge to stir my ol' brain cells!

Well, I don't care. I'd rather lose a toe than miss a Commander Adam quiz! Here they are anyhow...

1) Color Kid.

2) Chameleon Boy is the leader of the Legion Espionage Squad, which include Shrinking Violet, Invisible Kid, and Duo Damsel as permanent members. But any members can be called upon by Cham.

3) Our American Heroes featuring Superman, maybe...? Yeah, it's a guess.

4) Venus, which is why Cosmic King was banished.

5) Mon-El. Supergirl. Saturn Girl, Lightning Lad, and Cosmic Boy. Duo Damsel and Shadow Lass. Sun Boy. Lana Lang. Pete Ross. Shall I be a twerp and include Krypto and Beppo (of the Legion of Super Pets) and Lex Luthor (Legion of Super Villains.) Oh, and hey unwittingly met Jo Nah during his initiation. 

6) Dammit, I had over a dozen choices before I saw "permanently". Okay... Lightning Lass became Light Lass. As Superman appeared with the teen age Legion, I'll include Superboy / Superman. Element Lad was originally known as Mystery Lad. Mon-El went by Legionnaire Lemon ever so briefly. Triplicate Girl became Duo Damsel. Technically, Chuck Taine was a member of the Legion Reserves when he wasn't Bouncing Boy, and the same for Dirk Morgna. Lone Wolf became Timber Wolf while he was in the Legion Academy - not quite a full fledged Legionnaire, but I think that counts. Mysa Nal was known as The Hag before she was revealed as the White Witch, although I think she was a reserve Legionnaire at best. 

7) Speaking of changed names... I think Dream Girl caused Ayla to lose her powers.

8) Dr. Light, in an Adult Legionnaire story when Superman and Cosmic Man switched identities.

9) Five successive space missions.

10) Superboy #147, "The Origin of the Legion." A super computer determined that "Cos" would be the best leader of the three original Legionnaires. COROLLARY: This might be the first 80 page giant that had an original story in it.

Commander, even if I was too late, it is ALWAYS a pleasure to participate in one of your quizzes! Best wishes to you and the GMB for good health and happiness!

ELS

The Silver Age Fogey

The question I'm most curious about now is #8 as we've had multiple suggestions. Unless there's some simple but obvious reason to eliminate most of them, I'm assuming this one has multiple answers too.

Eric L. Sofer said:

Am I too late? TELL ME I'M NOT TOO LATE!!! Honest, I'm not looking at anyone's answers - honest! I just desperately need a challenge to stir my ol' brain cells!

Well, I don't care. I'd rather lose a toe than miss a Commander Adam quiz! Here they are anyhow...

1) Color Kid.

2) Chameleon Boy is the leader of the Legion Espionage Squad, which include Shrinking Violet, Invisible Kid, and Duo Damsel as permanent members. But any members can be called upon by Cham.

3) Our American Heroes featuring Superman, maybe...? Yeah, it's a guess.

4) Venus, which is why Cosmic King was banished.

5) Mon-El. Supergirl. Saturn Girl, Lightning Lad, and Cosmic Boy. Duo Damsel and Shadow Lass. Sun Boy. Lana Lang. Pete Ross. Shall I be a twerp and include Krypto and Beppo (of the Legion of Super Pets) and Lex Luthor (Legion of Super Villains.) Oh, and hey unwittingly met Jo Nah during his initiation. 

6) Dammit, I had over a dozen choices before I saw "permanently". Okay... Lightning Lass became Light Lass. As Superman appeared with the teen age Legion, I'll include Superboy / Superman. Element Lad was originally known as Mystery Lad. Mon-El went by Legionnaire Lemon ever so briefly. Triplicate Girl became Duo Damsel. Technically, Chuck Taine was a member of the Legion Reserves when he wasn't Bouncing Boy, and the same for Dirk Morgna. Lone Wolf became Timber Wolf while he was in the Legion Academy - not quite a full fledged Legionnaire, but I think that counts. Mysa Nal was known as The Hag before she was revealed as the White Witch, although I think she was a reserve Legionnaire at best. 

7) Speaking of changed names... I think Dream Girl caused Ayla to lose her powers.

8) Dr. Light, in an Adult Legionnaire story when Superman and Cosmic Man switched identities.

9) Five successive space missions.

10) Superboy #147, "The Origin of the Legion." A super computer determined that "Cos" would be the best leader of the three original Legionnaires. COROLLARY: This might be the first 80 page giant that had an original story in it.

Commander, even if I was too late, it is ALWAYS a pleasure to participate in one of your quizzes! Best wishes to you and the GMB for good health and happiness!

ELS

The Silver Age Fogey

6) When Timber Wolf joined the Legion at the end of Adv. 372, he was known as Timber Wolf, not Lone Wolf, and to the best of my knowledge maintained that soubriquet for the duration of the Adventure Comics run, so I don't think that he should be included in a list of those who changed her/his name.

Yeah, it appeared to me he'd changed his name before he entered the Legion Academy.

Misery in Spades said:

6) When Timber Wolf joined the Legion at the end of Adv. 372, he was known as Timber Wolf, not Lone Wolf, and to the best of my knowledge maintained that soubriquet for the duration of the Adventure Comics run, so I don't think that he should be included in a list of those who changed her/his name.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service