Deck Log Entry # 226 The Silver-Age Challenge---the Legion of Super-Heroes Edition II

At the conclusion of last year's Silver-Age challenge, I told you guys that I already had the questions for this year's quiz prepared.  Well, I did, as in past tense.  Last week, when I gave them a final scrubbing, I discovered that I had forgotten that I had already asked one of them in my first Legion quiz seven years ago.  Another one was so similar to a question from that 2013 LSH quiz that it would have been too easy to find the answer. 

And when I checked a third poser to see how Google-proof it was, one of the hits took me back to a comment I posted three years ago on one of the General Comics Discussions threads, a comment which gave away the answer.

So I had to generate three new questions to throw at you.  Fortunately, one of them turned out to be better than any of those I tossed out.  By "better", I mean that it's strong in that "Hey, I didn't know that!" quality which makes the answers fun for folks to learn.  The other two, alas, are clearly from "the Legion of Substitute Questions", but they'll serve in a pinch.

You old vets of my Silver-Age challenges are already flexing your typing fingers.  But, as always, for any test-takers who're here because they landed on this page while looking for something else and decided, "What the hey, I 'll give it a go!", here are the rules---with one special change that even the veterans should note:

1.  All of the questions, and answers, are drawn from Silver-Age material.  Ordinarily, that means anything produced by DC from the publication of Showcase # 4 (Sep.-Oct., 1956) to December, 1968, which I demark as the end of the Silver Age.  However, just as with the last Legion quiz, I draw a special demarcation for this one; the parameters are slightly narrowed from the usual beginning-to-end of the Silver Age envelope.  Here, all the questions and all the answers will fall between the time frame marked from the Legion’s first appearance, in Adventure Comics # 247 (Apr., 1958), to the last Silver-Age Legion story penciled by Curt Swan, in Adventure Comics # 372 (Sep., 1968).

Note, though, that the questions and answers can come from any publication; it's just that the time frame is bound by those two issues of Adventure Comics

2.  I’m definitely not infallible.  I might have missed something, somewhere, in twelve years of DC publication.  If you come up with an answer that meets the criteria of the question and can cite the Silver-Age reference, then I will gladly award you credit.  “But I always thought . . . “ explanations won’t cut it, though.

3.  I’ve got no problem with anybody using a search engine to look for answers.  I try to make my questions as immune to Googling as possible.  The right answers are difficult to find with a search engine, though I cannot say impossible.  At least once, I tripped myself up when an article I had written for another site contained the answer to a question from that year’s quiz, and one of the players found it.

4.  There are no prizes.  You’re playing for bragging rights.

Any time I post a Deck Log entry involving the Legion of Super-Heroes, I get a considerable amount of activity.  And, sometimes, controversy, too---but the sort that is well-mannered and respectful when men of good will disagree, and that sort is always welcome.  So, we'll probably see the same thing this time.  At least, I hope so, if I done my job as quizmaster well enough.

O.K., then, here we go!  As usual, I'll start off with a lob . . .

1.  Who was the first non-charter member of the Legion of Substitute Heroes?

2.  Who is the leader of the Legion Espionage Squad and which Legionnaires are permanently assigned to the squad?

3.  On what 20th-century television programme did the Legion make a guest appearance?

4.  On what world is Element Lad's super-power viewed as criminal and results in planetary banishment?

5.  Besides their super-son, which Legionnaires have Ma and Pa Kent knowingly met?

6.  Excluding the Adult Legion stories, name all of the Legionnaires who, at some point after joining the Legion, permanently replaced their super-hero names with new ones.

7.  Thanks to the machinations of Dream Girl, Lightning Lass was expelled from the Super-Hero Club for violating what provision of the Legion Constitution?

8.  Other than Luthor, what recurring 20th-century super-villain from Earth was mentioned by name in a Legion story appearing in Adventure Comics?

9.  According to the Legion Constitution, what is the maximum number of successive space missions a Legionnaire may undertake without a rest period?

10.  We all know that Cosmic Boy was the Legion's first leader, right?  But how do we know this?  Where---comic and issue number---was that first definitively established?

Good luck, gang!

Views: 1414

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

At least one source attributes those early appearances of the three founders to alternate continuities, since there are several small inconsistencies with later depictions.

Entertaining as always, Commander!

I think most of the questions have been answered by somebody as I would have answered them, so I won't go through them all.

But I will note that "Marvel Lad" (Mon-El in disguise) also went by "Legionnaire Lemon," as lemon is an anagram of Mon-El. Star Boy and Dream Girl briefly went by "Sir Prize" and "Miss Terious." The question establishes "permanently," which isn't the case when they adopted the identities, but is when they switched back. (OK, they probably don't count.)

Other disguises probably don't count either, like a hypnotized Lightning Lad being Starfinger for a while, or Proty I pretending to be Saturn Girl. But it's fun to talk about.

My main reason for not including Sir Prize and Miss Terious is that the Commander says "new" names as they just switched back to their old ones. But then again, that logic would also leave out Mon-El.

Just to get the quiz juices flowing again, there is one question which has yet to be correctly answered by anybody.

Although I haven't found anywhere earlier than the text piece in Adventure #352 stating Cosmic Boy to have been the Legion's first leader, this seems surprisingly late.  For that reason, I guess that number 10 might be the question that hasn't been correctly answered yet.  Sadly, if this is the case, I still don't have a better answer.

Alternatively, perhaps there are Legionnaires other than Mon-El, Shadow Lass and Duo Damsel whom the Kents have knowingly met (question 5).  It certainly seems quite likely that more than three of the team have visited.  Anyway, since putting in my original answer, I've identified a couple of other Legionnaires who have been to 20th century Smallville.

Chameleon Boy visited in Superboy #93 ("Lana Lang's Superboy Identity Detection Kit"), but he didn't meet the Kents.  Colossal Boy visited in Adventure #315 ("The Titanic Boy of Steel").  Unfortunately, I don't have access to this story, so I can't tell whether he met them.  Does this story provide another answer to the question?  I suspect not.

So, Commander, I've had another look at the questions.  Thank you for a very enjoyable set of brain-teasers.  Despite my best endeavours, I can't really add anything to my original set of answers.  Though at least, after reading other people's answers, I do now know on which TV programme the Legion guested.

I've been pondering about #10 again as well. Looking at the early Legion stories, Cosmic Boy is usually front and center especially when you reread Adventure Comics #300-303. He's calling the meetings to order, going over the missions, giving out the assignments. Anyone seeing these stories for the first time would naturally think that Cosmic Boy is the leader except for the fact that they never outright say it!

When 9 1/2 year old me "met" the Legion for the first time in Adventure #247, I think I had the immediate impression that Cosmic Boy was the leader. IIRC, he did most of the talking, not just on the cover.

But would that make him the first leader or the first leader we see? Even in their first appearance, it's obvious they've been around for a while.

Philip Portelli said:

I've been pondering about #10 again as well. Looking at the early Legion stories, Cosmic Boy is usually front and center especially when you reread Adventure Comics #300-303. He's calling the meetings to order, going over the missions, giving out the assignments. Anyone seeing these stories for the first time would naturally think that Cosmic Boy is the leader except for the fact that they never outright say it!

In Adventure Comics #278, Supergirl travels back in time and meets the Kents, telling them who she is. So I'm hoping that counts as meeting a Legionnaire knowingly.

Commander, would it be tacky of me to ask 2 more trivia questions that occurred to me since reading this quiz?

Misery in Spades said:

Commander, would it be tacky of me to ask 2 more trivia questions that occurred to me since reading this quiz?

Not at all, sir. Fire, away!

OK, thanks.

1. What's most unusual about the picture used to decorate the old Legion Outpost letter column that Cmdr. Benson also used as the header for this trivia quiz?

2. Who was the first Legionnaire that we knew held a Club office in the Legion other than Leader?

Commander Benson said:

Misery in Spades said:

Not at all, sir. Fire, away!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service