When I stopped reading comics, towards the end of the 70's, I don't remember anything referred to as a Silver Age and certainly not a Bronze Age. I think there was just Golden Age and modern comics. I may be wrong but that's how I remember it.

Anyway, when I re-visited comic-books in 1994 I caught up with the likes of Frank Miller's Batman in a collected paperback (which took a time before I realised this wasn't a new book but a reprint of a series from several years before) and the Crisis storyline which streamlined 50 years of DC continuity. I remember thinking, "Ah. Comics have changed. I wasn't expecting that!"

When I was reading comics regulary (1966-1978) I was aware that comics had to change and be updated from the Golden Age but I never thought there would need to be a further update. I assumed that Barry Allen would always be the Flash, Dick Grayson would always be Robin and, like Archie and Charlie Brown, my childhood heroes would never have the need to be updated into a new age.

My superhero world was gone forever it seemed and, instead of being tempted back, I became more distanced than ever. For me, there was no need for change. The Silver/Bronze Age (as I see it was now called) was fine as it was.

I still feel like that today, but I know that comics aren't meant for me and my taste and opinions are dated. Am I alone here, was that how it was for you?

Views: 940

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ron M. said:

The Golden and Silver Ages were based on superheroes.

This is true. I believe it was said earlier on this thread that the original terminology was First Heroic Age, followed by Second Heroic Age, and only referred to superheroes. Somewhere along the line the phrases Golden Age and Silver Age were coined, and caught on with the fans.

The humor titles, etc, were peripheral to that. When the comic shops took over with the direct market superhero fans kept the medium going by actually going to those stores. The readers of humor titles, etc, never went to the comic shops in significant numbers. Since the comics were non-returnable, few shop owners could afford to sink a lot of money into books that didn't sell. I'm glad Archie Comics managed to survive all this, but most didn't. If comic readers missed the humor books so much I would think they would have visited the comic stores (which used to be much more numerous) and demanded those books.

...Yes, and some genres, in, say, their greater pop-culture manifestations, changed...and the comics-world versions of them didn't.

Romance stories ~ Harlequins, " bodice-rippers ", even the confession magazines ~ progressed into the later 20th Century. Romance comics didn't. 

Partly, certainly, the new generation of comics creators of the Seventies didn't much care about 'em!!!!!!!!!!!

Westerns dwindled ~ just as Westerns in general dwindled away from movies and TV, certainly standard/more or less so ones.

War comics ~ as World War  II drew further into the distance, the subject of most war comics ~ Yes, perhaps the post-Vietnam move away from US military involvement being widely accepted, even perhaps some Vitenam veteran creators of the Seventies who were less interested in stories of " their war " than Dub Dub vets had been - had an affect, I suppose ~ Some might have thought that the renewed militarism of the Reagan era might have somewhat renewed interest in military stories, but nope.

Cute/funny/bratty kid comic books ~ Not really something for comic books anymore? Maybe even, as the move towards more protective parents that now has come to be somewhat joked about as " helicopter parenting "" rather took hold among American parents of a certain income/status levelgrew, pre-teen children being as independent as such comics depicted them as being came to seem ~ um, dissonant? Generally unlikely.

Recently, reading a LITTLE DOT from the SA, it struck me how independent a life " normal " kid LD ~ and, by extension, Little Lotta too (Let's leave more fantastic/tall tale character Richie Rich out of this!!!!!) leads!!!!!!!!!

Okay, okay, maybe I'm getting a little too " sociological " here...........:-). I was just looking for my old " All-Purpose Archie " line and found this'n!!!!!!!!!!!

...Disney's traditional characters
have survived, of course...with considerable hiatus/layover periods! Is at least one reason -ir two - they still get published (1) fan dedication/ nostalgia (2) business types thinking, " COME ON!!!!!!!!! The most recognizable cartoon characters - And SYMBOLS of Americaness (to radical dislikers of American culture, but anyway)! - in the world MUST have someone Stateside who will buy them??? Right??? We just need the right approach! " and so one more swing is made. "?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service