I'm sure everyone's read the stories today. 

Disney bought Fox entertainment for more than $50 million in stock. Fox will keep its news and sports channels, and Disney gets almost everything else, including the film rights to X-Men and Fantastic Four.

In addition, Disney picks up some non-Marvel brands of sigificance, including The Simpsons, Avatar and Kingsman. Disney also adds Fox's 30 percent ownership of Hulu to its own 30 percent share, for a majority share.

So, what do y'all think?

Views: 900

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I don't always mind commercials myself, I use them to read comics.

The reason I brought it up is it seems to me internet ads aren't as effective as TV or radio ads. You have a computer available to play on until the ad is over. I suppose an ad during a podcast is like a radio ad.

John Wanamaker of the Wanamaker department store chain is credited as saying, “Half the money I spend on advertising is wasted; the trouble is I don't know which half.”

Internet advertising can be quantified in ways that TV, print and radio ads can't. People skip TV commercials on replay; on radio, it's background noise, and that full-page ad from your friendly neighborhood auto dealer? If it's in the sports section, and your favorite team didn't make the playoffs so you're waiting until next year, you won't see it. 

With Internet ads, they can track how many people have opened any given web site, how many pages within that site, how long they look at any given page, what links they've opened, and what site they go to next, as well as what site they came from. Advertisers like that. 

I've clicked ads for internet comic strips, and disguised ads I mistook for links to articles. Currently when I go to Toonopedia I see ads for books related to my net browsing, and I just clicked on one to find out more about it. Otherwise, I think I only ever click on internet ads by accident. 

The most effective ad I've run into recently was a YouTube ad for an upcoming movie which made the film look fun.

I can see the value of making sure consumers know a brand name, including by sponsoring a sports team or paying to put up banners at an event. When we have occasion to buy something we've not bought before we might choose the name we know.

A new wrinkle in Disney's purchase of the Fox properties

http://www.latimes.com/business/hollywood/la-fi-ct-comcast-to-pursu...

Just in case everyone didn't hear this:

From two days ago: 

Comcast concedes to Disney in bidding war for Fox assets

I read something on the Internet that made me laugh. Someone pointed out that Fox owned Rocky Horror Picture Show, so now Dr. Frank N. Furter is a Disney queen.

I assume that's a straightforward joke. I've never actually seen the movie.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service