Fresh off AP wire!

LOS ANGELES (AP) — The Walt Disney Co. says it is acquiring Marvel Entertainment Inc. for $4 billion in cash and stock, bringing characters like Iron Man and Spider-Man into the Disney family.
Under the deal, Disney will acquire ownership of 5,000 Marvel characters.
Disney said Monday that Marvel shareholders will receive $30 per share in cash plus 0.745 Disney shares for every Marvel share they own.
It said the boards of Disney and Marvel have both approved the transaction, but it requires an antitrust review and the approval of Marvel shareholders.

Views: 254

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We just sold all our shares of Marvel stock about two or three weeks ago. We got $40 (not $30), but we could have sold them on the open market for $50 today. D'OH!
I've been buying Marvel stock slowly over the past three years...I'm glad I've held on to them.
Clearly, this means Disney thinks Marvel's a winner.

Found online by someone named Rob Daman.

Oh, and another good one I've seen today..."Now all Marvel characters will have only one living parent". Oh no! Poor Franklin!
Good luck to the folks at Boom. I hope they get to continue those titles...
Horn'd One said:
Goodbye, Marvel. You only have yourself to blame.

Actually I think this is more a sign of how successful Marvel has been recently, especially their movies. I thought it was interesting that the press release doesn't even mention comic book publishing directly. Joe Quesada has already posted that nothing will change at Marvel Comics, but of course it's too early to know what might happen.
The ship be sinking...
As the resident Disney/Marvel geek...I'm very happy about this.
Fine, as long as it all ends up with Donald Duck taking down Norman Osborn, it's all good.
More like Scrooge taking down HAMMER.

From the conference call this morning as reported by Newsarama:

Responding to a question about the future of Marvel Studios -- especially with the burgeoning technologies of 3D -- Iger said "that'll probably be determined by the talented people who are in charge of producing Marvel's theatrical films -- they did a brilliant job with Iron Man and we're confident in their abilities for Iron Man 2." Another person asked about possible cross pollination between Marvel and Pixar: "We actually have had some conversations internally, and [Pixar's] John Lasseter met with some of the key Marvel creative executives fairly recently and the group got very excited pretty fast," Iger said. "We had to say, 'slow down guys, we haven't done this deal yet.'" Still, Iger said, "you can put a lot of creative, enthusiastic people in a room that can appreciate the value of great characters and interesting worlds, a lot can happen... sparks can fly, is the expression that comes to mind."

Whoa.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service