Doctor Who and the Series Five Box Set

Got this yesterday and watched the first disk last night. It starts with a promo for Sherlock, which looks astonishingly unpromising. Won't be watching that. It is a sad commentary that a Twenty-First Century Watson can be a veteran of Afghanistan just as easily as a Nineteenth Century one could. Apparently, we don't ever learn, not even a little bit. "The Eleventh Hour" has "in-vision commentary" with Steven Moffatt, and executive producers Piers Wenger and Beth Willis. I'm not wild about "in-vision commentary", I don't really feel we gain much from being able to see the people doing the commentary. Apparently, the "fish fingers and custard" that we see the Eleventh Doctor eat was actually sponge fingers and cheese sauce, which still sounds pretty nasty to me. Moffatt claims to be the first straight producer of Doctor Who since 1979. I think that's wrong, I'm pretty sure JNT didn't take over until 1980. I didn't realize Arthur Darvill was older than Matt Smith. There also a "Meanwhile in the TARDIS" additional scene in which Karen Gillan gets to overact her little heart out and Matt Smith gets to explain why the TARDIS looks like a police box. "The Beast Below" does not have a commentary track, which is disappointing. "The Video Diaries, Part One" has a brief bit from Matt Smith reacting to having filmed his first scene at the end of "The End of Time", and somewhat longer bits with Karen Gillan and Arthur Darvill on various sets.

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• You might reconsider...Sherlock is pretty fantastic.
  • Doc Beechler said:
    You might reconsider...Sherlock is pretty fantastic.

Well, you know, I am a narrow-minded nut.
  • What he said.
  • Disk Two starts with a promo for Torchwood - never seen any of that. Not enough of a Captain Jack fan to get into watching it.

"Victory of the Daleks" has in-vision commentary from writier Mark Gatiss, Dalek voice Nicholas Briggs and Dalek actor Barnaby Edwards.

One thing they pointed out that I had missed was how, in the scene where the Dalek shoots down the Luftwaffe planes, it has little covers over the blinkers on its dome. These were meant to be for the night-time "black-out", but since the scene was in daylight, the effect was lost.

"The Time of Angels" has in-vision commentary from Steven Moffatt and Karen Gillan. They pointed out that if you watch closely, you will notice that at some point during this exciting adventure, the Doctor obviously took time out to get his hair trimmed.

"Monster File - The Daleks" largely consists of Matt Smith and Mark Gatiss saying how cool they think the new Daleks are.

"The Video Diaries Part Two" has Matt Smith and Karen Gillan trading barbs at snack time, and Ms. Gillan talking a bit about how various stunts were filmed.
  • Disk Three starts with a promo for Primeval, which I've never seen but which has much better dinosaurs than 70's Doctor Who did.

There is no commentary track on "Flesh and Stone".

"The Vampires of Venice" has in-vision commentary from director Jonny Campbell, writer Toby Whithouse, and actor Alex Price, who played Francesco.

Alex Price shamed himself by not knowing whose picture it was on the Doctor's library card.

There is no commentary track on "Amy's Choice".

"Monster File - Weeping Angels" has some interesting scenes showing the lovely young women who played the Angels being fitted for their costumes. It is somewhat disconcerting seeing a Weeping Angel with a human head - apparently they didn't put on the masks until they absolutely had to.

There's another "Meanwhile in the TARDIS Additional Scene", linking "Flesh and Stone" and "The Vampires of Venice" as Amy, with some help from the TARDIS, teases the Doctor about the fact that most of his companions have been attractive young women. The Doctor and/or Matt Smith seems particularly pleased at the sight of Leela in her leather bikini, as what man wouldn't be?
  • "Disk Three starts with a promo for Primeval, which I've never seen but which has much better dinosaurs than 70's Doctor Who did."

That's setting the bar awfully low. The Flintstones had better dinosaurs than Doctor Who of the 1970s.

"...it has little covers over the blinkers on its dome."

Totally missed that, too. Neat.

"Alex Price shamed himself by not knowing whose picture it was on the Doctor's library card."

Alas, being a fan is not a pre-requisite of appearing on the show.

"The Doctor and/or Matt Smith seems particularly pleased at the sight of Leela in her leather bikini, as what man wouldn't be?"

John Barrowman and Russell T. Davies, to name two. ;-)
  • "Alas, being a fan is not a pre-requisite of appearing on the show."

True, but that didn't stop Campbell and Whithouse from harassing him about it.
  • There is no commentary track on "Amy's Choice".

Bummer. Toby Jones was wonderful in that one, and I would have liked to have heard him on a commentary track. (I don't know if this set has any of the pared-down "Doctor Who Confidential" material that previous sets had, but there are interviews with Jones on the DWC episode for this story.)
  • There is a Confidential disk, but I haven't gotten to that one, yet,
  • Thanks for the reviews...I am quite tempted to get this, mostly to finally get rid of the episodes cluttering up my dvr...that or hope that they are added to netflix streaming soon.
This reply was deleted.