Doctor Who at 50

Regardless of what time zone you live in, the 50th anniversary special is still hours away as I post this.

To commemorate the occasion, below are a couple of timelines.

The first is a list of the official (the BBC only considers televised episodes canonical) team-ups between various Doctors.

The post after that is an updated list of my long running timeline/checklist of everything Doctor Who related since the series revival in 2005.

Enjoy!

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Help, Lee...there's nothing attached to this... am I too early?

• PS: There was a 6 minute teaser that picks up with the 8th Doctor and explains both why we didn't see more of him, and how/why he regenerates...and that will lead directly into some elements of this 50th anniversary adventure!

• A MEETING OF THE MINDS

A list of Doctors meeting Doctors.

The Three Doctors (10th anniversary special, 1973)

The first, second, and third incarnations of our beloved Time Lord meet for the first time (no pun intended).

The Five Doctors (20th anniversary special, 1983)

The first, second, third, and fifth incarnations meet.

NOTES: The first was portrayed by a different actor because of William Hartnell's passing, and Tom Baker (#4) only appeared in an extended cameo using footage from the incomplete Shada serial.

The Two Doctors (1985)

The sixth Doctor meets the second. (Aired as part of Colin Baker's tenure on the series.)

Time Crash (Doctor Who's contribution to the 2007 Children In Need telethon)

The fifth Doctor meets the tenth.

The Name of the Doctor (2013, Season 7's finale)

The eleventh Doctor meets someone who is, but isn't him? (John Hurt)

The Day of the Doctor (2013, the 50th anniversary special)

The tenth and eleventh Doctors team up with whoever (no pun intended) John Hurt's character is supposed to be.

Technically, the brief 30th anniversary special: Dimensions In Time is considered canonical, although it should be noted that no two Doctors actually met. The Rani had trapped her enemy within a time paradox (that looked a lot like the East Enders "universe") and our favored Time Lord keep crossing his own time stream. It was produced for the 1993 Children In Need telethon.

• Doctor Who Season 1 (2005) Christopher Eccleston 
    REVISED NOTE:
     Where the "ninth" Doctor fits into events will hopefully be revealed November 23, 2013.

Rose (The ‘new’ Doctor meets Rose Tyler, who becomes the first travelling companion of the new era for the series) 
    The End of the World 
    The Unquiet Dead (Does Charles Dickens believe in ghosts?) 
    Aliens of London/World War Three (2 parter) 
    Dalek (the only other survivor of the Time War?) 
    The Long Game 
    Father’s Day 
    The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances
     (2 parter) (Introduction of Captain Jack Harkness) 
    Boom Town 
    Bad Wolf/The Parting of the Ways
     (2 part season finale) 
    (Rose inadvertently alters Captain Jack’s life and Eccleston’s Doctor regenerates into David Tennant’s, who carries on from this point forward)

2005 Doctor Who Children In Need Charity Segment 
    (Extended footage of Rose meeting the Tenth Doctor. Served as prelude to next entry.)

2005 Doctor Who Christmas Movie: The Christmas Invasion

Doctor Who Season 2 (2006) 
    New Earth 
    Tooth and Claw 
    (First seeds of Torchwood spinoff planted, courtsey of Queen Victoria) 
    School Reunion (The return of Sarah Jane Smith) 
    The Girl in the Fireplace 
    Rise of the Cybermen/The Age of Steel (2 parter) 
    The Idiot’s Lantern 
    The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit (2 parter) 
    Love and Monsters 
    Fear Her 
    Army of Ghosts/Doomsday
     (2 part season finale) 
    (The Doctor’s first encounter with Torchwood proper and departure of Rose Tyler to alternate Earth at end.)

Torchwood Season 1 (2006) 
    Everything Changes 
    Day One 
    Ghost Machine 
    Cyber Woman
     (epilogue to Doctor Who Season 2 finale) 
    Small Worlds 
    Countrycide 
    Greeks Bearing Gifts 
    They Keep Killing Suzie
     (Follow up to first episode of the season) 
    Random Shoes 
    Out of Time 
    Combat 
    Captain Jack Harkness/End of Days
     (2 part season finale) 
    (Captain Jack goes directly to his Doctor Who Season 3 appearance from here)

2006 Doctor Who Christmas Movie: The Runaway Bride 
    (the Doctor meets Donna Noble) 

2007 New Year’s Day Movie: Invasion of the Bane 
    (The Sarah Jane Adventures pilot)

Doctor Who Season 3 (2007) 
    Smith and Jones (The Doctor meets Martha Jones, who becomes the new travelling companion)

The Shakespeare Code (the Doctor meets the Bard) 
    Gridlock 
    Daleks In Manhattan/Evolution of the Daleks (2 parter) 
    The Lazarus Experiment 
    Human Nature/The Family of Blood
     (2 parter) (Paul Cornell adapts his seventh Doctor novel ‘Human Nature’ for television) 
    Blink 
    Utopia/The Sound of Drums/The Last of the Time Lords

(3 part season finale) 
    (Captain Jack Harkness appears at start of Utopia directly from the Season 1 finale of Torchwood and Martha leaves at end after a climatic battle against the Master!)

The Sarah Jane Adventures Season 1 (2007) 
    (Every adventure in each season is two half-hour episodes long) (Pilot considered part of Season 1)

Revenge of the Slitheen 
    Eye of the Gorgon 
    Warriors of Kudlak 
    Whatever Happened to Sarah Jane? 
    The Lost Boy

2007 Doctor Who Children In Need Charity Segment: Time Crash 
    (David Tennant’s Doctor meets Peter Davison’s Doctor. Occurs between end of Season 3 and next entry without affecting continuity on either side of event.)

2007 Doctor Who Christmas Movie: Voyage of the Damned

Torchwood Season 2 (2008) 
    Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang 
    (Just how much time elapsed since Doctor Who Season 3 finale is questionable since I thought the clock was reset at the end of The Last of the Time Lords
    Sleeper 
    To the Last Man 
    Meat 
    Adam 
    Reset 
    (Martha Jones, now a medical doctor for UNIT, starts guest appearance) 
    Dead Man Walking 
    A Day In The Death
     (Martha leaves at end of episode to return to UNIT) 
    Something Borrowed (Gwen marries Rhys) 
    From Out of the Rain 
    Adrift 
    Fragments/Exit Wounds
     (2 part season finale)

Doctor Who Season 4 (2008) 
    Partners In Crime (Donna from the 2006 Christmas movie returns, becomes new travelling companion) 
    The Fires of Pompeii 
    Planet of the Ood 
    The Sontaran Stragetem/The Poison Sky
     (2 parter) (Martha Jones returns and the Doctor’s first official adventure with UNIT in the new series, although they have been referenced in past episodes.) 
    The Doctor’s Daughter (no folks, that is NOT a typo!) 
    The Unicorn and the Wasp (with Agatha Christie) 
    Silence In the Library/Forest of the Dead (2 parter) (First, and last? appearance of Professor River Song)
    Midnight 
    Turn Left/The Stolen Earth/Journey’s End
     (3 part Season Finale) 
    (Rose Tyler returns for entire story arc) 
    (In the latter two episodes, the main casts from The Sarah Jane Adventures and Torchwood appear after their respective season finales)

The Sarah Jane Adventures Season 2 (2008)

Although only the first season has ever aired in  the United States, everything is available on DVD.

The Last Sontaran (Epilogue to The Sontaran Stragetem/The Poison Sky)

The Day of the Clown

Secrets of the Stars

The Mark of the Berserker

The Temptation of Sarah Jane

Enemy of the Bane (Guest starring Nicholas Courtney as the Brigadier!)

2008 Doctor Who Christmas Movie: The Next Doctor

2009 Doctor Who Spring Movie: Planet of the Dead

Sarah Jane Adventures 2009 Comedy Relief Charity Segment: From Raxacoricofallapatorius, with Love

Torchwood Season 3 (2009)

Children of Earth (Umbrella title for five part serial, no individual episode titles)

Aliens want 10% of Earth's prodigy in exchange for "riches beyond imagining"!

The Sarah Jane Adventures Season 3 (2009)

Prisoner of the Judoon

The Mad Woman In The Attic

The Wedding of Sarah Jane Smith (Featuring David Tennant as the Doctor)

The Eternity Trap

Mona Lisa’s Revenge

The Gift

2009 Doctor Who Fall Movie: The Waters of Mars

2009 Doctor Who Christmas Movie: The End of Time, part 1 (of 2)

2010 New Year’s Day Movie: The End of Time, part 2 (of 2) 
    (Ends with cameos of all the major characters from David Tennant’s tenure before he regenerates into Matt Smith as the Eleventh Doctor)

Doctor Who Season 5 (2010)

The Eleventh Hour (Smith takes over as the Eleventh Doctor) (Meets new companion Amy Pond and has to keep the TARDIS from exploding, among other things)

The Beast Below

Victory of the Daleks (Thanks to the Doctor, the Daleks regenerate!)

The Time of Angels/Flesh and Stone (2 parter) (DOCTOR River Song returns, and yes: the parallels to Silence In The Library/Forest of the Dead are intentional.)

The Vampires of Venice

Amy’s Choice (First appearance of the Dream Lord, another Valeyard?)

The Hungry Earth/Cold Blood (The return of the Silurians and Rory dies during part 2)

Vincent (Van Gogh) and the Doctor

The Lodger

The Pandorica Opens/The Big Bang (2 parter) (With ALL his enemies against him, can the Doctor survive, save the universe, and still make it to Amy and Rory’s wedding? Features River Song and resolves the dilemma of the cracks in the universe, but not the silence threatening the universe.)

The Sarah Jane Adventures: Season 4 (2010)

The Nightmare Man

The Vault of Secrets

Death of the Doctor (featuring Matt Smith and the return of Katy Manning as Jo Grant)

The Empty Planet

Lost In Time

Goodbye Sarah Jane Smith (Can Sarah be replaced? Ironically titled, considering real life events.)

The 2010 Doctor Who Christmas Movie: A Christmas Carol (with newlyweds Rory and Amy)

Doctor Who 2011 Comedy Relief Charity Segment: Space/Time (with newlyweds Amy and Rory. Canonicity questionable, but does not affect events on either side.)

Doctor Who Season 6>Part 1 (2011)

The Impossible Astronaut/Day of the Moon (2 parter)

Amy is pregnant and the Doctor will die without regenerating?

The Curse of The Black Spot

The Doctor’s Wife (The Doctor meets the TARDIS, written by Neil Gaiman)

The Rebel Flesh/The Almost People (2 parter)

A Good Man Goes To War (mid-season finale)

Amy’s been kidnapped, her baby stolen, and where does River Song fit into all of this?

Torchwood Season 4 (2011)

A co-production between the BBC the Starz Cable channel, where it first aired.

Ten episode serial, mostly set in America, encompassing an overall story arc: what if no one died?

The New World, Rendition, Dead of Night, Escape to L.A., The Categories of Life, The Middle Men, Immortal Sins, End of the Road, The Gathering, The Blood Line.

Doctor Who Season 6>Part 2 (2011)

Let’s Kill Hitler (picking up where the story lines left off)

Night Terrors

The Girl Who Waited

The God Complex

Closing Time

The Wedding of River Song (most everything resolved and the title is not misleading!)

Doctor Who Children In Need Special (2011)

A brief visit with the Doctor, ending with a trailer for the 2011 Christmas movie.

The Sarah Jane Adventures: Season 5 (2011)

The last adventures filmed before the untimely passing of actress Elisabeth Sladen.

Sky

The Curse of Clyde Langer

The Man Who Never Was

Doctor Who 2011 Christmas Movie: The Doctor, The Widow, and the Wardrobe

Minisode: Pond Life

(Mini-episodes with Amy and Roy, bridging the gap between seasons 6 and 7

Originally shown on website and part of Season 7, Part 1 DVD)

Part 1: April, Part 2: May, Part 3: June, Part 4: July, Part 5: August

Doctor Who Season 7>Part 1 (2012)

Asylum of the Daleks (Just who is Clara Oswald and what are we supposed to remember?)

Dinosaurs on a Spaceship

A Town Called Mercy

The Power of Three

The Angels Take Manhattan (last adventure of Amy and Rory)

Doctor Who 2012 Christmas Movie: The Snowmen

(The Great Intelligence and Clara Oswald return?)

Minisode: P.S.

(Animated Post Script to the life of Amy and Rory beyond their last appearance.)

On DVD of Season 7, part 1.

Minisode: The Search (unofficial title)

(Teaser scene about the Doctor searching “high and low” for Clara)

On DVD of Season 7, part 2.

Doctor Who Season 7>Part 2 (2013)

The Bells of Saint John (Clara Oswald returns, again! Becomes new companion.)

The Rings of Akhaten

Cold War (The Ice Warriors return)

Hide

Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS

The Crimson Horror (The return of Madame Vastra, Jenny Flint, and Strax)

Nightmare In Silver (Neil Gaiman returns and revises the Cybermen!)

The Name of the Doctor

(The last of River Song? Clara saves the Doctor, and we may have miscounted the regenerations!)

Minisode: The Night of The Doctor

Paul McGann returns as the Eighth Doctor and just where does John Hurt’s character fit into the proceedings?

Doctor Who: The Fiftieth Anniversary Special> The Day of the Doctor

David Tennant and Billie Piper reprise their previous series roles as the mystery of John Hurt’s character and a whole lot of other issues are hopefully resolved.

Doctor Who 2013 Christmas Movie, as yet untitled

Will end with Matt Smith regenerating into Peter Capaldi’s version, but exact numbering remains to be seen.

Doctor Who Season 8 (2014)

First full season with Peter Capaldi as the Doctor and Jenna-Louise Coleman as Clara Oswald. Will not air until sometime in the latter half of the year, but season will not be split in half.

Series will celebrate its 250th story (counting each multi-episode adventure of the first seven Doctors as one) during this season!

• Hey Kirk G. It's all here. I'm just not that fast of a typist or a cut and paster.

• I haven't seen anything since the end of season 3...

...but earlier tonight, I saw THE FIVE (-ISH) DOCTORS, with Peter Davison, Colin Baker, Sylvester McCoy, and Paul McGann... with cameos by David Tennant, Janet Fielding, Matt Smith, Steven Moffatt, Russell T. Davies, Peter Jackson, Ian McKellan...

I LAUGHED MY ASS OFF all the way thru this thing!!!  Davison wrote & directed it, and it's great to see he, Colin & Sylvester all have great senses of humor about themselves.

Tom Baker appears in a clip from SHADA, and, in the form of a telephone answering machine message...

• The T. Baker part was one of many genius moments

Henry R. Kujawa said:

I haven't seen anything since the end of season 3...

...but earlier tonight, I saw THE FIVE (-ISH) DOCTORS, with Peter Davison, Colin Baker, Sylvester McCoy, and Paul McGann... with cameos by David Tennant, Janet Fielding, Matt Smith, Steven Moffatt, Russell T. Davies, Peter Jackson, Ian McKellan...

I LAUGHED MY ASS OFF all the way thru this thing!!!  Davison wrote & directed it, and it's great to see he, Colin & Sylvester all have great senses of humor about themselves.

Tom Baker appears in a clip from SHADA, and, in the form of a telephone answering machine message...

• "Now I'll never know if I was right."

• I missed a lot of the extra's cause I had to take mom to the hospital, but the dvr caught it and I liked it. I particular liked the scene where the Dr.s wipe the memories and both sides of the human/zygon conflict had to negotiate from start. That is such a Dr. Who moment for me.

• That was nice, but not nice was UNIT erasing the memories of their staff in the black archive--humans are so terrible.

I thought Clara was very good in this one--almost as good as in The Snowmen. It's great now that there's no secrets between them and they're like an old couple--too bad it won't last for much longer.

This reply was deleted.