As I have stated earlier, my knowledge of the good Doctor is limited, my exposure to him moreso. I know that he is a Time Lord who regenerates into new bodies (actors). Originally he was an old man having historical adventures. Peter Cushing played him in a movie. It was a low-budget children's show originally.

I saw some of Tom Baker's run. For better or worse, he's my image of the Doctor. And I have some of the Marvel comics from that time. I know about the TARDIS and the Daleks. Wasn't there a robot-dog? And the Doctor always has an attractive companion!

Are there other Time Lords?

Does he work independently or is he someone's agent?

Does he remember his past incarnations? Has he ever been reunited with past companions?

Beyond regeneration, does he have any other special abilities?

I know he's never referred to as "Doctor Who", usually it's the Doctor but does he have a proper name?

Is he fully sane, mostly sane or somewhat sane?

And where would you start to watch him now?

Views: 327

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Watched two more episodes:

"Amy's Choice"- What might have been or what will be? If the Doctor is indeed influencing these visions, does he want Amy to choose or is he afraid of her choice? Does he want what's best for her or best for him? Does he even know what he wants?

"The Hungry Earth"- Didn't know it was the first half of a two-parter or I would have watched it earlier. The TARDIS once again brings the Doctor where he needs to be, not where he thought he was going. Rio, huh? Any excuse to show off those legs. Not that I'm complaining! Very moody and creepy. The Reptile People are a cool menace with a great look. After watching a few of Tennant's episodes, he was a whirlwind of energy while Matt Smith is like a bomb, he's liable to explode at any time!

The reptile people derive from the Silurians, who first appeared in the 1970 serial Doctor Who and the Silurians. Another story from 1972, The Sea Devils, featured a related amphibious race. In both serials, written by Malcolm Hulke, the Doctor tries to arrange peace between humans and reptiles, but is unable to overcome the distrust from both sides. The Silurians and Sea Devils turned up again in Warriors of the Deep in 1984.

I saw some of that in the "Monster Files" segment about them. They were a sub-species of the original to explain their different appearance and the advances in make-up techniques. The Doctor said he encountered them before but it's always hard to tell if he was seen encountering them or if he was mentioning them.

So the Silurians make three old enemies that the new Doctor battles, along with the Daleks and the Weeping Angels.

The angels are from the new version of the show. Other enemies from the old show who've shown up are the Cybermen, the Master, the Autons (the guys with guns in their hands) and the Sontarans (the militaristic bald guys).

The new show also borrows from the old show more subtly e.g. the Ood resemble the Sensorites from The Sensorites. Plot points and lines of dialogue are sometimes echoed.

Finally continued my Doctor Who journey with "Vincent and the Doctor". This was an amazing episode. I may be wrong but I think it was, in a way, about how pity affects those who are pitied and those who pity. The changes that Amy wanted never happen. Vincent Van Gogh must fulfill his history. A happy, long-living Van Gogh could not have the immense impact  that the true artist did upon the world. Whatever brightness the Doctor and Amy gave must have been short-lived. Did he speak of his future? Then the townspeople would really think him mad.

It also proves Matt Smith and Karen Gillam's acting chops as they both give touching, funny and heart-felt performances! Just a wonderful episode!

It was beautiful. I liked how truthful it was. Showing love and compassion is sometimes not enough, but it is still worth giving. They might not have changed the course of his life, but they made it less bitter for awhile.
I thought a giant invisible intergalactic chicken was such a good allegory for soul-wracking despair.  :-)
I cried my eyes out at the ending of that one!
"Vincent and the Doctor" is my wife's favorite 11th Doctor story.
I wonder if Van Gogh learned he was going to commit suicide in a year from his perspective and that strengthened his resolve to go through with it as his destiny. But either way, if they brought him to the future or not, his fate was sealed. Notice they do not go back to stop him.

Amy's Choice was a brilliant episode and highly indicative of the direction Moffat wanted to take the show. The nature of the adversary, the types of danger they were in, the sort of mental/psychic threat, this was the first time the new series has presented this type of foe. Tennant was a magnificent Doctor, but RTD's version was much darker, more war-weary. Here Smith and Co. are going back to the zany kind of fun and adventure the classic series was known for.

Same for the Hungry Earth. The first part has all the trappings of a Troughton episode (a group of people trapped in an enclosed space) with a smattering of Pertwee thrown in for good measure (the location and set-up of the drilling site, the mysterious lure of the adventure)

Philip Portelli said:

Watched two more episodes:

"Amy's Choice"- What might have been or what will be? If the Doctor is indeed influencing these visions, does he want Amy to choose or is he afraid of her choice? Does he want what's best for her or best for him? Does he even know what he wants?

"The Hungry Earth"- Didn't know it was the first half of a two-parter or I would have watched it earlier. The TARDIS once again brings the Doctor where he needs to be, not where he thought he was going. Rio, huh? Any excuse to show off those legs. Not that I'm complaining! Very moody and creepy. The Reptile People are a cool menace with a great look. After watching a few of Tennant's episodes, he was a whirlwind of energy while Matt Smith is like a bomb, he's liable to explode at any time!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service